Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drew a cow tag for chalk creek this year. I didn't realize how much of it was private being a new hunter but I did find a area of public up by whitney reservoir but couldn't find the elk. Now fish lake hwy is closed I'm kinda at a loss of where to go now. Can anyone point me in the direction or know anybody in that chalk creek area that I can call to see if I can hunt their land? Any advice or info would be greatly appreciate. Thanks

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I drew a cow tag for chalk creek this year. I didn't realize how much of it was private being a new hunter but I did find a area of public up by whitney reservoir but couldn't find the elk. Now fish lake hwy is closed I'm kinda at a loss of where to go now. Can anyone point me in the direction or know anybody in that chalk creek area that I can call to see if I can hunt their land? Any advice or info would be greatly appreciate. Thanks
Very tough tag Whitney reservoir /public ground doesn't hold many elk very very few. Chalk creek itself has plenty of elk but property owners who are pretty stingy. I haven't looked into that tag in years how far west can you go with it

·
Registered
527 Posts
Good luck finding a landowner to hunt on. Most are tied up in the Richens CWMU.
But I'd try the DWR to see if they know of someone.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
4024 is nothing but a 'cash cow' permit for the DWR,
700 permits, they cant be used on CWMU's.....A little over half the unit.
FS land locked up tight...
Success rates in the single digits. Sorry.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
A lot of elk in Chalk Creek right now, but as you've seen and have been stated, they are mostly on private land. A very slim chance to get one on the public land, but there is a better chance getting out there than if you just stay home.

Also, not sure if any of the non-CWMU owners allow trespass fees or what not. Might be worth looking into.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts