Utah Wildlife Forum banner

is it, coues deer, pronounced cows? or coos?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to see what all the experts say. it is spelled coues whitetail. so what is its proper pronunciation????

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Just in case you wanted to know. In Scotland a cow is pronounced coo. A house is a hoose and a mouse is a moose. A moose loose aboot the hoose is much different than a moose loose in our house..........On yonder hill there stood a coo, he's no there noo, he must have shifted.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would seem my interest has already been served. 11-1 already. for the facts---- it is spelled coues, it is pronounced cows. they were named after a militarry officer in arizona many moons ago. I wanted to see what folks thought here because i get tired of people saying it wrong. short story, i went to arizona years back on my first coues hunt and walked proudly into the tucson fish and game office and asked for a cooos deer tag. the whole office erupted into laughter. they asked where i was from, Utah was my timid response. again a round of laughter. then they informed me of the proper pronounciation. it is Cows... i have actually refused to tell guys where i have hunted in arizona just because they refuse to say it correctly. I have hunted them several times and actually killed what at the time was #16 in the world. i respect them more than anyother big game animal and it galls me to see it said wrong. so just to apease a grumpy old has been bowhunter can we all please say it right, Cows deer, again Cows deer. there is that so bad.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Are you sure they say it correctly in Arizona? :mrgreen: Just kidding. I voted for coos, so I shall proceed to eat humble pie! I think I would like to hunt coues (cows) deer. They sound fun!

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
I'm hunting coos deer next week. Sneaky critters.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've heard it pronounced both ways...but I usually read it as coos...Thats just me.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Treehugnhuntr said:
I'm hunting coos deer next week. Sneaky critters.
+1

I hunted them back in the 90's when I was stationed down in New Mexico. Getting a good Coues buck isn't as easy as it would seem; its usually hot and rugged hunting.

Good luck on the hunt Tree.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts