Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The storm's slacking off- I'm headin' out. Wish me luck!
Let's see what kind of hole a .30-30 pokes in an elk.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
If you say that 180-GRN puts a fist size hole in a tree,. I would shoot for the head no sense in wasting a front shoulder or two.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
One person is saying they wan't to see what size of a hole it will put in an elk, another is saying try for a head shot. I say with a 30-30, you should just try and HIT it. Take your wrist rocket flipper also, you might stand a better chance of accuracy.

good luck and have fun. I have seen John Wayne hit guys with one on the run from great distances so if they can do that in the movies, you might do fine.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
BTW, wdclye did you shoot your cow in the head?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
not looking good huh? i know how they hunt on desert, run them down until they are tired.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lots and lots of bucks! Woohoo!
Wish I had a camera- saw a dozen bachelors hangin' out just above I-80. What a sight!
No cows, though- 40 mph wind blowin' up top of Emigration. Waste of time.
BTW, my Savage puts 3 into 1 1/4" @ 100 from sandbags. Accuracy ain't an issue, with a steady rest.
I like shooting low in the shoulder, just above the elbow joint. Ruins little if any meat, and anchors 'em quick. Gives me time to shove another shell in the tube, just to be sure.
I haven't dropped anything w/ this rifle yet, but that same sort of shot worked well with my first rifle, a .308 Savage. The first couple of deer I nailed with a 180 Silvertip took out both shoulders, both times. One time it blew the foreleg off on exit (it also took out all the plumbing above the heart). Down is down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts