Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the morning was pretty cold and we decided to head up one canyon where we have seen about a 100 head of elk in the past. We drove part way up the canyon and waited until it got light. We glassed from the truck and we spotted some Elk on the far end of the canyon feeding on a hill side so we quickly headed towards them to see if I might get a chance at one. Unfortuately from the truck I would only get within 900 yds so we just watched them to see what they were going to do. A few minutes later here comes two guys on fourwheelers and they stop and glass. They were about 100 yds away from us and I seen one of them lead down on this fourwheeler and he pointed his gun and BOOM. I couldnt believe he would take such a long shot. He could have hiked up and got a good 200 yd shot. Well after the shot the elk ran up over the hill.

So we decided to go to a different place and I spotted some elk going through some cedars so we drove up to the gate where the road is closed because its wilderness beyond the gate. My brother said well i will pull you on the sled to see if we can get within good gun range. So my brother and his boy pulled me up about 300 yds and my brother spotted some more elk coming out to our right so I rolled off the sled and crawled in the snow over to a sagebrush and we layed a coat down and my brother told me how far so I took aim and fired. I hit her in the front shoulder and she fell down and then she got back up and she was straggering really good and I put another one in and hit her in the spine and she fell in her tracks. My brother's friend came to help my brother and nephew drag her out.

Im glad I have a great brother who is willing to drag me in a sled in the snow to get an elk. I had a great time!! It was an awesome day!!

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
Heck of a story Coyoteslayer !!! 8) 8)

I can really admire your brother...but my real admiration is for you two as Brothers..

It takes a couple of good men to make such a good team.!!! :) :)

Congrats Man!!!!! :D :D

·
Registered
301 Posts
YOte' Layer,
Your a true sportsman/role model, you push yourself towards your goal in spite of lifes obstacles. I hope we get a chance to have a beer over the campfire someday. Congrats to you and the family on another great hunting success.

·
Registered
244 Posts
YEAH!!! THATS WHAT IM TALKIN ABOUT!!! One question has utah law changed you said the 4 wheller shot from the road? I hope that my Bro and his son would do the same for me. We talk about every subject in regaurd to wildlife but we miss what you just hit on, family! Your bros; son will remember this hunt for a life time. and no matter what else happens he will have a story that is equal to none! CS you have my upmost respect!!! Some day i should be so lucky! :D Expect some flak. Ps get some sleep!!!

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Congrats Justin, Ryan is a stud! And, he is setting a great example for his son. Congrats on your success. Enjoy the excellent steaks you are about to partake!

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
C.s. What is that now, like 8 big game animals? Your freezer has to be full by now. If you run out of room let me know, and I would be happy to store some of your meat in my empty freezer. Of course if any elk stakes disappear I can't be held responsable. :mrgreen:

·
Administrator
21,437 Posts
Good Job! Brothers are cool. My brother, a real knothead, turns in to a nice guy during hunting season. (funny, that's what he says about me)

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments. We had a fantastic day. I might be in a wheelchair right now but I still do the things I enjoy.

I like this quote because it has a lot of truths in it.

The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success's, than what other people think or say or do. it is more important then appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home...a team. The remarkable thing is you have a choice every day regarding the attitude you will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we can not change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is plan on the one strength we have, and that is our attitude. I AM CONVINCED THAT LIFE IS 10% WHAT HAPPENS TO ME AND 90% HOW I REACT TO IT. AND SO IT IS WITH YOU. YOU ARE IN CHARGE OF YOUR ATTITUDE!!! Author unknown

·
Registered
577 Posts
Glad to here that you were able to still get out to hunt. There are alot of people that have had an accident that cripples them and all they do is sit back and expect handouts and pitty. It's good to see that you are not letting your physical problems slow you down. Good on you and you brother for being willing to help out.

·
Registered
647 Posts
CS We don't agree on SQUAT. Probably never will as long as you hang as tight to PRO's jock as you do. But I've got to give it to you YOU ARE A MAN. You probably hunt harder or as hard as 95% of the people that view this board. I hear guys whine about having to scout and hike and put out effort or see to many ATV's on their hunts but I never ever hear you complain about anything that has to do with hunting. You cry like a freaking baby about the political end of things but I've never ever heard you complain about the hand you were dealt or what you have to do to be a success. Next time I hear a person whine about having to hike to get away from the road or how steep a drainage was I'll think of you. Like I said you are a MAN.

Keep it up, you are a true inspiration

1 - 11 of 11 Posts