Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Crazy Preppers....

11195 Views 180 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  2full
So has the last 13 months or so turn anyone into a Prepper? I already had one foot in the door under the guise of "Disaster prepardness" with about 4 weeks of food and water in case of a natural disaster.

Today my basement looks more like a freaking bunker, and my home office looks like a freaking TOC.

I have to laugh at myself. Never thought id see the day when I'd turn into a prepper.

Someone once mentioned making a prepper thread. I'm bored, so here's my attempt at starting one. Discuss, or laugh, either way, I get it.
Reactions: 1
1 - 20 of 181 Posts
I don't think being prepared is crazy at all. I do think that the word "prepper" carries a different connotation with it, however. And it generally is not a positive one.
I think it's all about perspective. Being prepared for a natural disaster like a hurricane isn't crazy. Society though has assigned a negative connotation to the name mainly because of shows like "Doomsday preppers"; where the got the most batscat crazy people on the show, talking about all kinds of crazy things.

That said, given the events over the last year or so, I don't think people think it's as crazy or looked down upon anymore.
Yea we've talked about starting a thread, its a good idea. I've been in that mindset for 5 or so years now. First step is to define just what you are preparing for, then make a plan to cover that. When you feel good about that step, branch out into areas that cover different situations and needs.
I've been working/focusing on so many things I'm not even sure where to start.

This is a good book, i'm sure you already have it:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008536NOQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've started reading this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/9870563457/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thus far it has been interesting, and enlightening, as it contradicts some popular trains of thought with first hand experience.

Obviously economic collapse is one item on my "Why I'm prepping" list. I'm a simple man, I don't understand everything in the finance world, but I do know that the debt clock is ticking and the deficit will double within the next 5 years, and something to the tune of 60% of the fiat (M1?) currency in circulation was printed within the last year, if not more. That can't be a good combination.

Currently I've been doing a round robin on the overused "beans, bullets, bandages". We've acutally sunk a lot of money in all three. One of the smartest things we did with the first stimulus check was to buy a harvest right freeze dryer with it. It's been running most of the time, and I need to buy another shelving unit to store boxes of freeze dried food. I find that freeze dried food has a very nice shelf life, tastes about as good as the day it was cooked, but is bulky.

My wife mentioned 100 gallon propane tanks, however the trouble is having a place to store them. A modest 1 story rambler on .14 acre isn't much to work with space wise, but its way better then all these new high density housing units that are now being built with no yards to speak of.

Wintertime power outage is a concern, mainly because no juice means no blower in the furnace. We've got a little buddy heater, and a plan to shelter up in the master bedroom in the case of a prolonged power outage. I know for a fact that room has extra instillation in the walls (including interior walls) because I put it there myself when our house was still under construction about 9 years ago. :mrgreen:

A wood burning stove is on the list. My wife wasn't keen to it because of the "ugly" chimney pipe, but now she doesn't care anymore. (I finally win! ) It's just a matter of having the money at this point.

As electronics go, the only thing we're concerned about is phones and ham radios. Have a Jackery for that, and our trailers generator.

Of the many things i could mention, I'll toss out this. This is actually a good idea, and OnX makes some aspects of it easier.

Which reminds me I need to find the radio frequencies of my local PD, Trunked system or not, I need to add it it to the folder i've got going.
See less See more
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?stid=49

Most are on trunked systems. Any node within a trunked system that has a specific frequency assigned to it you can listen in on. Otherwise, you need a special radio that's more expensive then some hand held.
Heh, yeah...

That's one item that book I linked to earlier. He said that people in the country got hit hard. The usual thought is to bug out to some mountain cabin or remote property. As it turned out in Argentina that worked against people, as they were far from any help, and the perpetrators had all the time in the world to torture and rape their victims.

Best bet is to form a neighborhood watch and keep people like Taxidermist out. :mrgreen:
I've already planted that seed in my neighborhood.
Reactions: 2
Best bet is to form a neighborhood watch and keep people like Taxidermist out. :mrgreen:
I've already planted that seed in my neighborhood.

For Rude!! :cry:
Well what kind of reaction do you expect when you imply your plan is to run a mafia like racket and extort people for protection.
I really think fire is the biggest danger there is to survival.
True that. A fire can wipe you out. Best to not overload outlets, keep a fire extinguisher at several points in the house, and make sure your smoke detectors are working.

As an aside, one thing that the "summer of love" in other states has amply demonstrated, all it takes is one jackwagon with a Molotov ****tail to ruin you. In a civil unrest/riot situation, you cannot allow them to get outside your home. If their in front of your home, its already too late.

This circles back to neighborhood watch. If your neighbor isn't safe, then neither are you.

Question:

How do you look at survival / prepping?

I look at it in two ways:

1- hunker down at home and wait things out.
2- need to be mobile and constantly on the move.

Any other types to consider?
Only two ways I'm familiar with. Here's the thing, everyone on this forum probably knows that you can't live in the backcountry for very long trying to subsist off hunting. Especially with a family. Unless you turn to looting trailers and cabins like Knapp did some years ago. Game will supplement, but it wont replace what you bring with you, and that will be limited.

Nevermind that all human traffic will be funneled into areas with water. Not elk wallows, but running springs, creeks, and rivers. Imagine the tent/trailer cities popping up in those places, and the ensuing spread of diseases from all the disgusting idiots who don't know how to keep a clean camp, or some dillweed pissing in the water.

My point is, bugging out is an option of last resort. Things would have to be pretty bad to abandon your home and neighborhood. Quick way to turn yourself into a refugee.

No, I totally haven't put a lot of thought into this prepping thing...... :roll:
See less See more
One that came to mind was financial prepping and having cash or some form of currency (silver/gold) on hand in the event of financial catastrophe or ex collapse.

Any others?
I've been wondering what to do about finances. I've been hearing the phrase, "Cash is trash". What has me worried is this:
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M1
combined with this 4 year projection on the deficet:
https://usdebtclock.org/current-rates.html

Like I said earlier, I'm a simple guy. I don't pretend to understand the finance world, but that much, from my laymans perspective, seems to be cause for concern.

As to diversifying what fiat currency one has on hand, no idea.

On one hand, it's my understanding that even under hyperinflation, your mortgage payment will remain the same. If that being the case, if you lose your income, having a good savings will buy you some time while you sort things out.

On the other hand, the ever famous "wheelbarrows of cash for a loaf of bread" isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

There is always precious metals, but I hear transferring those back into cash is problematic. There's Treasury Inflation Protected Securities, (aka TIPS), but i don't know enough about those yet to make any definite decision. Its also relying more on the government which, is questionable in this day and age.

Anywho, can't quite figure that aspect of financial preparedness out yet.

One thing everyone should be trying to do though, is get out from under credit card debt and the like. For our part, if we pay off my wifes car right now, the only debt we'll have is our mortgage.
See less See more
You guys sound like you know what you are doing. Most guys I know think they are "prepping" because they buy ammo, more ammo, and then even more ammo. A lot of the outdoor hunter types that I know think a survival situation is just gonna be like a 24/7/365 deer camp lol. It's hilarious and kind of mind boggling how simplistic some of their ideas are about how a true SHTF scenario is gonna be. They think we're all just gonna be out there playing Daniel Boone and ****.
Hah hah.

You'll like this post I made on another forum that isn't a hunting forum:

Why bugging out to Public Lands is a bad idea.

By public lands, I mean National Forest Service or Bureau of Land management. NFS or BLM for short. Like a lot of other guys in the intermountain west, I spend a lot of time hunting in the mountains. Many call it the backcountry. In my case, I'm usually in the backcountry just about every weekend for most of the year, and most of the time I'm solo, usually chasing Elk. So I think I've enough experience in this capacity to have made a number of valid observations, albeit it is just an opinion.

In our own thinking, my wife and I had thought that if things were to ever get really bad, we'd load up the trailer and bug out to the mountains somewhere. Over the course of the pandemic, this has shown itself to be an extraordinarily bad idea, and ill try and explain why.
(some will disagree with me, and that's fine, again this is just my opinion)

1. You won't be the only one with that idea. The pandemic and lockdowns has pushed a lot of people out into public lands who otherwise would have been happy in the city. In May, I saw more people in one area in three weeks, then I had in the last 5 years. In July, in another area i frequent, every single camp was used, and some people even making camps where they shouldn't be. In the past, finding a camp was never an issue. ( As an aside, outdoor newbies or greenhorns are really freaking easy to spot)

2. Water. Like any other animal, you MUST have water, and you'll need it often. Knowing the backcountry like I do, I can tell you that this need will funnel people into a very few and select areas. You will see trailer and tent cities pop up anywhere where there is a source of water like a stream, creek, or river. Because of this water requirement, your ability to sustain yourself long term will be extremely limited in many areas, and most people will congregate in areas that do have water. If you want to stay on your own, and your not adverse to bushwacking, you can usually find a spring about halfway up mountain watershed areas and random springs, but that brings up other issues ill get to in a bit.

3. Your ability to stay will be mostly dependent on what food you bring with you. If you think you'll survive on hunting after you run out of food, your either dreaming, ill informed, don't spend a lot of time in the backcountry, have been watching too many Alaska shows, or your a REALLY ****ing good hunter, or REALLY ****ing lucky.

4. Hunting will supplement your food, it may extend the duration of what food you have, but it will not replace it. ( unless maybe your the only humans around for a hundred miles, which ain't happening).
a.) Elk are migratory, they can be here today, and gone the next.
b.) While deer are resident, they are super skittish, and one dumbass can spook them all, making it harder for you even if you know what your doing.
c.) Any piece of land has a carrying capacity. The more humans in an area, the less food there will be to eat. Eventually, any big game such as deer and elk will either be eaten up, or will have moved on. Grouse and rabbit will only get you so far.
d.) People, by their very presence, pressure big game. Trust me, the instant people move out, the deer and elk move back in and vice versa. They know where people are, period.

5. Security will be a bitch if things get really bad. Here's the thing, to bring enough food and supplies to stay for a long duration, your going need to do, what I call "mechanized camping". Meaning trucks and trailers. Said equipment necessitates the use of roads and main easily accessible beaten paths. At some point, without the means of resupply from a nearby city or town, there will be a lack of food, and some may turn to banditry as a result. These camps will be exposed, and security will be an issue that will take both manpower to maintain a 24 hour watch, and field craft in terms of creating a defensible position. These camps will be most vulnerable at night, and a lot of guys know how to move quietly in the woods. You could try "stealth camping" to above mentioned mountain springs, as concealment far off the beaten path is a form of security (usually how I roll), but this method will require backpacking, which by its very nature limits the amount of provisions you can bring with you.

No matter how you cut it, bugging out to public lands will be a temporary solution. How long you can survive out there before food becomes a major issue will be dependent on how many people are out there, how much supplies you bring with you, if you can resupply from town or not (if you can, why are you bugging out to begin with?), what water is available, and your skill as a hunter or outdoorsman.

Bottom line, at some point, without resupply, you will eventually run out of food, and you will be nothing more then an armed refugee, or defending yourself from the same. That is the conclusion I have drawn over this last year. Your mileage may vary. As for myself, as much as I love the mountains, I'll be bugging in before I bug out.
Garden and raise chickens and rabbits. That's where I'm at right now.. well, no rabbits yet, but it's a future consideration.

The future doesn't seem very promising. About all one can do about it, are practical things like trying to learn how to supplement your own food before inflation and probable food shortages kick in.

Very good chance, the times we are in right now, will be looked back upon as "the good ole days". Having said that, it was nice to unplug these last 6 days of camping and spring turkey hunting. Hard to come back to the doom and gloom.
The future is incredibly hard to predict. News sources tend to wax one narrative or another. Personally, I've found former military intelligence analysts, more often then not, have the most correct guesses. I've known of two. One of which no longer posts videos on youtube, but patreon only

Then there's this guy:

Go digging further back on his channel, he freaking predicted a lot of the non covid related events that occured in 2020. Keep in mind the dude is running a business on intel, so there's that.

That said, this is related to prepping, in that good information, or "intelligence" is something prepping related as to make the best inform decisions. I tend to think about 3-4 months out. Bought wood for my raised garden boxes while it was still winter. Had them under a tarp in my backyard most of winter waiting for spring. Today there's a lumber shortage. Bought parts for my rifles to keep them going at the start of the summer riots when most where just thinking about ammo, or maybe another rifle. Ammo I already had, just wish I had more. LOL

Gotta think ahead of the herd. What's going to be in demand tomorrow? That's one thing to think about.
See less See more
I bought a 20 pound bag of rice last time I was at the grocery store. My wife gave me a funny look haha. Little preps at a time.
If you want to get A LOT of funny looks, go to costco and buy 6 months worth of food (sans the obvious stuff like produce). Call it a leftover effect from covid, but we've taking to going to costco twice a year now. It's just nice to not have to worry about stuff for awhile. If I actually fill a tag or three this year, freezer space might become an issue. 🤣
Has your Costco allowed that? They generally wont allow us to make big purchases like that. Try and get 4 bags of rice, unless you say you are commercial food services and ran of something requiring lots of an item that day, they've told us to put stuff back. We usually have to stock up over a couple days.

Macy's "case lot sales" used to be the bomb for soups and whatnot, but those kindof died off or only have crappy items.

-DallanC
I guess. My family is small though. Just myself, wife, and 1 kid. What is 6 months for us will be a lot less then 6 months for someone with 5-6 other mouths to feed. I'll bet if more people start stocking up like that, they'll stop it quick.
Here's a question that would have been (and probably still is to some) considered absolutely tin foil hat crazy talk a few years ago:

How much time do you think we have before things go to crap?

I don't think it's a question of "if", but a question of "when?" and "how bad will it be?". I don't think there is anyone who can accurately answer that. It could be something negligible and laughable, or it could be something where the social and economic upheaval will make the great depression pale in comparison. No idea.

My gut feeling is we'll start to see gas and food shortages in the future. Not sure when, or how bad. Could be minor, could be major. No idea. For about a minute, I genuinely questioned the validity of surrendering my panguitch deer tag, as I questioned what fuel prices and availability might be like in September....... and then I went back to studying maps for that hunt. :rolleyes:

Anywho, I guess you can say I am not optimistic about the future.
I'm not optimistic either. My wife told me I was a doomer the other day lol. I don't want to watch the world burn and I would love to see my negative predictions be proven wrong. You have to admit that things dont look all bright and rosy at the moment though.
HEH, I've had similar discussions with my wife. Though she didn't call me a doomer, it was more along the lines of "tedious", I forget the exact wording. We have our 10 year coming up in November, and she wants to do something special; and I'd much rather stay closer to home territory, then go traveling somewhere. One thing I've come to really dislike, is placing my life, and control of my life, into someone else's hands, counting on them to do their job properly, and/or being locked into a situation I can't extricate myself from. Can't we just rent a cabin somewhere for a weekend? Nope, not good enough. Normally very level headed, she picks NOW of all times to get her head into the clouds.
Now the zombie hoards are making a run on bottled water again.
We will be picking up lots of stuff there this year and get busy canning. Then of course you know the other food gathering event that will come shortly after that!
Personally, to one degree or another, I expect a repeat of last year when it comes to the grocery store, and/or a huge (crippling for some) increase in cost of food.

Reasons:
- The coof is following the same trend this year as it did last year. It may even become greater in prevalence
(see latest numbers and compare this year to last year. Case Counts | coronavirus )
Thats not to say people will react the same, but if there is enough fear and panic being stoked, they will react.

- For reasons along the lines that Dallan posted. Food prices are most likely going to go up. There is no way we can have the biggest heat wave and draught in 50 years, and have it NOT effect food production. End of year harvest yields will be the biggest indicator I think.

- Economics. The most colorful metaphor I can think of, is America has been shat into a big toilet called inflation, the powers that be flushed it, and now we are spiraling down toward the drain. Not that I'm an economic expert, I'm just a layman, and everything I've seen and heard indicates this.

Drought in the west all the way to Washington affecting crops, Grasshoppers are out of control in Idaho and Wyoming eating whats left, and recent massive storms just destroyed 90% of farm crops in the midwest in a few areas.

Just say'n... be aware of whats going on. Food prices next year may cause some serious heartburn for folk living on the edge.

-DallanC
I'd give this a like, only I don't like this situation.

On a side note, my wife has already encountered, what seems to be food shortages. Just on very select items, so it's probably going under the radar. We just harvested a ton of tomatos, and other bits in our backyard garden. Decided to make salsa out of it and freeze dry it. Problem was our cilantro bit the dust. So wife goes to the store to buy cilantro. Couldn't find it anywhere. No seller of produce in town had it. I think we're going to see more of that in the future, how much I couldn't guess.
See less See more
For some reason I feel compelled to encapsulate 90% of the prepper stuff you'll find on streaming media:

Beans, Bullets and Bandages.

Gets thrown around a lot, makes it easier to remember.

Beans:
  • Shelf stable food. (Don't forget your food groups)
  • Water. ( General rule of thumb: 1 gallon, per day, per person. Minimum.)

Bullets: (probably something few here are in short supply of, and the thing most people focus on)
  • Firearms, and spare mags. (ideal number per rifle i'd say would be 9 mags, 6 +1, and 2 spares. YMMV)
  • Ammo ( I forget the exact number, but its something to the tune of have at least 1400- 2000 rounds cached per rifle)
  • Spare parts. ( because firearms are mechanical, and anything mechanical can break)

Bandages:
  • First aid ( for ouchies, boo boos, and other minor things not worth crying about)
  • Trauma (israli bandages, quick clot, chest seal, CAT tourniquets, and other things that exist to "stop the dying")

Yes, it's all expensive. No your not going to acquire everything right away.

Rule of 3's.
Get enough of your "Three B's" for:
- 3 days, then 3 weeks, then 3 months, etc etc. Start small, expand out. Something is better then nothing.

There, I just saved you a lot of reading/ video watching.
See less See more
I'd buy a few spare parts, nothing major, just the stuff that wears out over time like recoil srpings and the like. I did a bit more then that on the spare parts front, but I think you get the idea. Also have some rig to carry spare mags, oh and buy some of those too. oh hell, getting gun stuff is always exciting. :ROFLMAO: (edit: current market not withstanding, I honestly don't know how it is right now, haven't looked since early 2020)
I bought another magazine as well. I have a soft case for my AR-15 (or AR-14 as sleepy joe would call it) with a bunch of compartments for spare mags on it. So far I only have enough mags to fill half of the compartments. Better get some more.🙂
If your on a budget, I would get something like this:

Just throw it over your shoulder and go. Gives immediate access to extra pew pews to make holes, trauma kit to plug holes, doesn't look too tactical or military (thereby making you look "loud" and become a focus of attention), and it's not that expensive.
See less See more
1 - 20 of 181 Posts