Utah Wildlife Forum banner
81 - 100 of 138 Posts

·
Administrator
11,008 Posts
I haven't see to much of a problem here in Colorado but prices are definitely up from two years ago and even last year as far as grocery store items are concerned.

I was watching a show yesterday and they were talking about possible shortages for presents or items for Christmas this year and they just plain said that if you see it now to buy it if you want it.

I have done some online looking the last couple of days for a few things and most of what I am looking for is not in stock, quite likely it is sitting off of the California coast.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 · (Edited)
It's not Glenn Beck you want to listen to, it's the former CEO of Toyota you want to listen closely to.

On a side note, I just ponied up the cash for 250 rounds of 12 Ga #7 1/2 to add to my existing stores. I predict a lot fewer big game tags and more upland game hunting in my future. I'd get anything you'd need sooner then later. Who knows what this crap is going to look like next year. Could be better, could be worse, why chance it.

·
Administrator
21,865 Posts
So has the last 13 months or so turn anyone into a Prepper? I already had one foot in the door under the guise of "Disaster prepardness" with about 4 weeks of food and water in case of a natural disaster.

Today my basement looks more like a freaking bunker, and my home office looks like a freaking TOC.

I have to laugh at myself. Never thought id see the day when I'd turn into a prepper.

Someone once mentioned making a prepper thread. I'm bored, so here's my attempt at starting one. Discuss, or laugh, either way, I get it.
I have 3 string trimmers so I'm ready for any calamity.

What's a "TOC"?
TABLE OF CONTENTS?
TIM'S ON COCAINE?
TIM'S ORANGE CARROTS?
TIM'S OUT of CONTROL?

Reactions: JerryH

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Oh, former service jargon. Tactical Operations Center. I've got a huge map of Utah on my wall that I can write on with dry erase markers, as well as maps of the city and surrounding area, bunch of mobile ham radios , charging station, Jackery power station, a folder with a study of my local area, that kind of stuff. Basically everything i'd need to make an assesment of the local situation and communicate with others if things went bad.

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
Saw an article last night the Chinese government is telling their folks to stock up on food and supplies. Can you imagine the effect on availability if they start stockpiling in the homeland before it gets shipped out.

It certainly feels like something ugly is coming.

On a side note, I just ponied up the cash for 250 rounds of 12 Ga #7 1/2 to add to my existing stores. I predict a lot fewer big game tags and more upland game hunting in my future. I'd get anything you'd need sooner then later. Who knows what this crap is going to look like next year. Could be better, could be worse, why chance it.
Ya, I bought a case of 12GA #6 earlier in the year. I waffled on it for quite a while before committing. BUT, since then, prices have risen dramatically, and local availability is still scarce. I'm happy I did it right now.

-DallanC

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Shared this one in the memes thread in the humor section, but it feels like nothing but bumpy roads ahead. Anybody really starting to feel the pinch at the grocery store? Maybe us prepper freaks will end up getting into the food storage we so diligently put together.
Forehead Eyebrow Jaw Sleeve Eyelash

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
If you can afford this on your vehicle, then nothing we’re talking about here is impacting you! I know Mark. He’s good people.

The supply chain issues are fascinating to watch just from a logistics standpoint, but maddening to see happening from a consumer standpoint. Everyone keeps predicting “one more year of this or that,” except it’s not just time that’s needed to fix what’s causing it. We may be resetting to a new normal of supplies simply being short all the time.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I no longer need to follow the "supply chain" issue as closely as I used to. But I will say the port issue has been a problem long before the pandemic. Now they just have a different excuse.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I guess I’m a prepper and didn’t know it. Raise a big garden every year and bottle or freeze a lot of it. Just put a beef and a lamb and a hog in my freezers. Already fully stocked on flour and yeast to make bread for a long while. We buy a fifty pound bag of Anasazi beans in Dove creek Colorado every year. I think it’s my upbringing on the ranch. Out where our cabin is and my mother was raised we still have no power unless we run the generator and no phones. In 1947 my grand parents and their four daughters were snowed in from December 3rd through Feb 7th. Never left the ranch except to feed cows and horses. When the county sent out plows to reach all the stranded ranches grandpa jumped up on the running board and and asked if they had brought any Prince Albert tobacco. 😁 They still had plenty of food and necessities but he has run out of makings for smokes the week before.

I sell beef, lamb and pork direct from our ranch to families all over Utah and several other states. I control what they are fed, how fat they get, what vaccines and antibiotics they get or don’t, wether they are given a hormone implant and a few other important details. Calves born and raised and fed by me are sent to the butcher who guarantees my customers get my beef. The calves I sell at weaning get out on a truck and go to Idaho or Nebraska to a feedlot. Then they get trucked again to a finish yard. Then back on the truck to a processor where they are butchered. Then shipped as boxed beef to distributors who then ship it to grocers or restaurants. Now you can see why a steer I sell for $1.65 a pound as a 580 weight live animal ends up costing the consumer $22 a pound as a ribeye steak. The weak link in my direct market approach is I do not have capacity to feed Salt Lake or St George. Huge feed lots and processing facility’s and distribution centers are necessary to feed the population on that scale. And when one part of the supply chain breaks it all jams up. I don’t not see it improving soon. And with the feds involved it will even take longer. My advice to my kids and yours, is to be as self sufficient as possible. Do not allow others authority over what happens to feed and clothe you family. Be prepared.

·
Registered
Mainly comic relief at this point.
103 Posts
Cowboy, I'm with you. It kills me on a number of levels that I had to sell my house in a divorce a few years back, this among them. I had the entire front yard and most of the side yard of a corner lot given over to veggies. I could go all year on the tomatoes I canned, by August I was so sick of zucchini that you couldn't pay me to pickle them, and I'm still using chiles I dried a couple of years ago. And that was in the middle of SLC. I did it mainly so that my land wasn't just the thing my house sat on, but having the reserve capacity sure was nice.

A just-in-time economy is like driving a Formula 1 car. It's great fun when everything is running well, but the slightest problem and you're stuck in the pits. There's just no slack in the system to absorb problems.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
I just had to bump this thread. I want to say, that "never in my life, did I think things would get this crazy", but the truth is, i've had a feeling in my gut that something bad was going to happen for awhile, and I'm not talking about Ukraine. That I think is the first domino as it were. We'll see how that turns out, cause I think how that turns out, will play a factor in Taiwan, which will in turn have an effect domestically in terms of economic, social, and political.

The short of it is, and I admit I'm no policy expert nor economist, I think we all have a ring side seat to the (slow?) decline of the "American empire" , the petro dollar, and the dollar as the worlds reserve currency. All major powers in history are eventually dethroned. Look at the British, they used to say "The sun never sets on the Britsh empire". Not so much now.

Anyway, for what it's worth, things I think aren't a bad idea to do right now:

1. Pay attention to the news, but don't drive yourself crazy. Find alternative sources you trust, often enough you'll know about stuff a day before it hits the mainstream news. Lots of disimformation out there, and I don't mean that in a left vs right thing, but as a "wartime" propaganda thing. Side note: Normalicy bias. Generally speaking, things haven't exactly been normal since 2019. We've gone from pandemic, to missile strikes being 9 miles away from NATO invoking article 5.

2. Buy a little extra every time you go to the grocery store and store it. Bag of rice, extra coffee, a few cans of chilli, whatever floats your boat.

3. Ammo and misc equipment, buy it now while you can. Honestly, as ammo goes, local supplies suck. I highly recommend midwayusa or luckygunner. Just got 5 boxes of 180 Gr 10MM FMJ in today, can't find the crap at sportsmans in provo, Just sayin. In fact, I literally bought the last two boxes of 10MM from there last week, unless they got more in, they are out.

4. Stuff your mattress, or your gun safe really, with enough cash to buy gas and groceries for at least a month if you can. I'm looking at you Canada, but also cyber attacks are a real threat, and if the POS system gets taken down, or the banks get downed, having cash will be a godsend.

5. Garden and raise chickens and other livestock if you can. Will offset the cost of groceries or possible shortages in the future.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I grew up with fire drills and then came the "duck and cover" drills along with the nuclear bomb shelters in public buildings replete with rations and water to survive a nuclear war. I watched the TV during the Cuban missile crisis. I was in the military during the Vietnam war. Watched the crash of 2009. Then came 9/11/2001. Have grand kids today in the military. Guess what? **** happens! And I'm pretty sure than none of us can anticipate what will happen tomorrow much less months or years from now.

Is it smart to prepare? Certainly, but don't let the what ifs' rule your life.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
On the economic side, inflation is running hot. This of course, is no surprise given the trillions of new dollars that were created out of thin air since the last bubble popped in 2008.
The Federal Reserve has pained themselves into a corner. They have 2 choices:
  1. Raise interest rates
  2. Continue the current policy of easy money, infating the currency
If they go with option 1, the housing and stock markets will crash along with a major economic depression. This effectively pops the mother of all bubbles.

Option 2 will continue to feed inflation higher and higher until the dollar is destroyed and becomes worthless. This wipes out the poor and middle class.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
On the economic side, inflation is running hot. This of course, is no surprise given the trillions of new dollars that were created out of thin air since the last bubble popped in 2008.
  1. Raise interest rates
If they go with option 1, the housing and stock markets will crash along with a major economic depression. This effectively pops the mother of all bubbles.

Option 2 will continue to feed inflation higher and higher until the dollar is destroyed and becomes worthless. This wipes out the poor and middle class.

Beyond that, what's starting to worry me is gas. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but my understanding is:
  • We are still importing oil from Russia
  • The powers that be are being pressured and/or are considering stopping those imports.
  • Keystone XL pipeline and fraking have ceased, and we are no longer energy independent.
  • Saudi isn't going to open the oil spigots more.

Point 3, combined with all of these above, is a nostril flaring to say the least. Where we going to get our gas? The strategic oil reserves? That's laughable. This is a situation that need not be.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Best reporting I've seen is we remain "energy independent" and 2022 might be the "best" year yet on the rhetorical balancing sheet. But even then, we still rely on foreign oil because fossil fuels are fungible, global commodity traded for profit. Unless we nationalized our resources (not going to happen, not advocating for it) we'll always be at the mercy of market forces.

You can bet gas prices are going to rise and will do so on average for the rest of our lives. Just too much international demand and too much explicitly controlled for the financial benefit of cartels. And despite claims, it has little to do with domestic policy at the level of POTUS.

Keystone XL never went active to begin with and we continue to extract a ton through fracking. 2021 production decreased for a variety of reasons but is going up again, according to the last reporting I saw.
We all are going to have to tighten our buckles given the crisis on the NATO border. There is good reason to believe that Boomers/Gen X are the last generation to enjoy consumption to excess. My little girl almost certainly will "have less" than my parents.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
  1. Raise interest rates

I wonder if there is option 3, which is a bit of middle ground? I know raising interest rates quickly and sharply could potentially cause a major recession. If they do it gradually I think it can slow inflation without economic collapse.

But I’m also not an economist. Not that being one would matter. Getting economists to agree on something is harder than getting lawyers to agree on something!

81 - 100 of 138 Posts