Utah Wildlife Forum banner
121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
What I gathered from that article is that consumers are starting to significantly pump their brakes on spending. Don't economists have a word for that? It starts with an "r" or something but we totally aren't in one...

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I am looking at adding a new shtf knife, I’ve got it narrowed down between the esee 4 and 5, two completely different knives, I know but both have their merits.

The 4 is the best all around knife, While the 5 is a tank, that has a glass breaker on it, can be used as a pry bar and has a bow drill groove, although, a bit more cumbersome.

Anyone got experience with either of these knives?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I am looking at adding a new shtf knife, I’ve got it narrowed down between the esee 4 and 5, two completely different knives, I know but both have their merits.

The 4 is the best all around knife, While the 5 is a tank, that has a glass breaker on it, can be used as a pry bar and has a bow drill groove, although, a bit more cumbersome.

Anyone got experience with either of these knives?
Got any links to share? I wanna see these bad boys!

Edit: nevermind. I just remembered I have Google. I'll go take a gander.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Here’s the 5, it’s essentially a sharpened pry bar 😂

here’s the 4

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Here’s the 5, it’s essentially a sharpened pry bar 😂

here’s the 4

3/16 inch wow! That's a thick boy.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Sooooo..... given the recent news over the last week or two, all of which not so good. It feels like the dice has been cast, and things are now , dare i say officially, in motion? To use the classic iceberg metaphor , how long do you think it will be before S.S. America hits that titanic iceberg bearing straight ahead? (pun intended)

Seems like that has always been the question. Not if, but when.

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
FedNow is a new digital currency created by the USA. You turn your dollars into this digital currency for quicker turn around time for transactions (initial claim). But, all transactions are tracked by the government, probably tax liability tracking will occur here as well.

Its going live next year in 2023. Listen to the future in Gerome Powell's own words:

FedNow:

This guy is wrong about it not being blockchain, it is... its just not a decentralized blockchain. That means they can control all the transactions on their own computers.

I don't neccessarily agree with this guys take on the system... but I do agree with his general advice of getting out of advice and pseudo financial prepping.

-DallanC

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
FedNow is a new digital currency created by the USA. You turn your dollars into this digital currency for quicker turn around time for transactions (initial claim). But, all transactions are tracked by the government, probably tax liability tracking will occur here as well.

Its going live next year in 2023. Listen to the future in Gerome Powell's own words:

FedNow:

This guy is wrong about it not being blockchain, it is... its just not a decentralized blockchain. That means they can control all the transactions on their own computers.

I don't neccessarily agree with this guys take on the system... but I do agree with his general advice of getting out of advice and pseudo financial prepping.

-DallanC
Jesus, I hope that guy isn't right.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·

FedNow:

-DallanC
Interesting. I've heard rumblings about a digital dollar, and never discounted them. I just didn't think it would already be waiting in the wings. It's not a far stretch. I mean, remember when they first came out with debit cards? Before that it was always cash on the barrel or writing a check. (heh, who writes a check anymore at the store? lol) Debit cards are so prolific now, you hardly ever see cash. Being slow and resistant to change that I am, I kept cash and coin on me up until maybe 15 years ago. I thought it silly to use a debit card on small transactions, like buying a soda at a gas station. How now, you have to whip that plastic out just to use the air compressor at some gas stations.

So a digital dollar is the next logical step when you think about it. Trouble is, all that centralization. I don't see how you could create a digital currency without some type of central control on it when its being crunched out of thin by the federal reserves. The potential for a loss in privacy is ... ehhh.. astronomical. Are we eventually going to see our bank accounts frozen if we do something the gov doesn't like ala Trudeu and the candian trucker convoy?

Another thought is, the national debit. There is no way that will EVER be paid off. They'll have to find a way to erase it somehow. Never let a good crisis go to waste.

What's your thoughts on large purchases at the moment? I think buying a new car or truck right now is unwise. We were considering putting solar panels on our house, but when we discovered its a 25 year contract, with a regular service payment (think car payment until you pay it off), it gave me second thoughts. It's a tough call... being prepared for hikes in energy rates and having a rate locked in, vs taking on a 25 year contract payment obligation?

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
Another thought is, the national debit. There is no way that will EVER be paid off. They'll have to find a way to erase it somehow.
Inflation diminishes the debt, by devaluing the dollar. Sucks for the general populace though.

What's your thoughts on large purchases at the moment? I think buying a new car or truck right now is unwise.
Wise or not, you CANNOT buy one. Unless you are willing to really bribe the hell out of a dealership by paying way over msrp. Truck orders are a year out... think about that, if you have the $$$ to buy one you have to order it... and the orders are so far out right now its ridiculous. Average GMC SLT work truck? 10-12 month wait. Ford Lightning? 18 month wait.

In fact its even worse than that... there's a list to get on the list. Dealers are only allocated X number of orders per month as regulated by the regional purchasing manager. So you go down to Seiner, Young or whatever to place an order and pay the couple thousand $ and they put you on "the list". But that is THEIR list. Each month they get to place 4 or 5 truck orders so they take the top X number of people on THEIR list and submit the orders to the dealer to be on the actual Mfg Order list. Once on that list... hopefully its only a few months wait... but to get on that list... oh boy.

So looking forward, wise or not... you might not even be able to buy a new truck for many many years if you expect to walk onto a dealer lot and buy one. Its now this way for most auto dealers as well. Toyota just hit a milestone, they are down to a 1 day stock of vehicles on lot. That means that nearly every vehicle coming in is pre-sold. They no longer have excess inventory for the "walk in" public to look at and buy.

Ford has announced they wont even allow EV vehicles to be purchased at dealers. Its "online only". The online price is "the price" no dickering or deals.

We were considering putting solar panels on our house, but when we discovered its a 25 year contract, with a regular service payment (think car payment until you pay it off), it gave me second thoughts. It's a tough call... being prepared for hikes in energy rates and having a rate locked in, vs taking on a 25 year contract payment obligation?
I can tell you how to do DIY home solar for a fraction of the cost. You can get pallets of B Grade 360/480 watt panels that are "take offs" from major systems being upgraded for very cheap ($3-3500). Panels are guaranteed, install most, keep a couple for spares. Then you just need a quality charge controller (Victron or something), then a battery system (the popular goto is server rack batteries). Look at the Will Prowse youtube channel.

Don't do the contract install thing... its a scam. You can easily DIY for a fraction of the cost, which then makes it feasible.

-DallanC

121 - 138 of 138 Posts