Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Should be a good year for those who draw tags. August can't come soon enough.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
My 17 year old hit the jackpot last year and we had the hunt of a lifetime. I'll never forget last May when that LE elk charge hit my card. Two weeks of euphoria followed by months of shooting, then scouting. An opening day filled with screaming bulls and close encounters culminated with an amazing harvest in the evening. After that was the Halloween cookout where we cooked elk and potatoes and served it to everyone who passed by. All the while, Packout was performing his magic in the form of an outstanding mount that is enjoyed everyday by our family and all who visit.

2015 will be a tough act to follow for my family but the prospects still make for pleasant anticipation. Good luck my friends! Here's to melting snow, fishing, green mountains, fuzzy horns, and CC hits!-------SS

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Strange Utah big game year starting to add up for us!

The last few weeks turkey hunting southern Utah we've seen
some GREAT bulls growing antlers for 2016......
Making me wish I would have stuck to my original elk plan instead of Manti.

Then, last Friday I get an E-mail from the DWR telling me the CWMU I put
my kids in for has been discontinued!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had to change their application choices Monday to different units....

This has had me looking at Wyoming HARD all week with deer and antelope
regs finalized in Wyoming a few days ago.

Bottom line, my oldest boy and I have 42 Wyoming points,
I've found units I can put combination deer and antelope hunts together in!
Pretty much guaranteed, and with archery options, 10 week hunts to fill tags!

Almost hoping we dont draw Utah this year so we can go the Wyoming route for 2016.

Reactions: one4fishing

·
Registered
603 Posts
You're killing me Smalls!

I already got lucky in the draws this year with a bear tag. Hope to keep the train rolling with an Antelope tag in Aug and then we will be down on the Beaver to chase Muleys in October.

Bring it on!

·
1,666 Posts
I wish Utah would move the draw back into May.

Approve permits on April 30

May 1- May 8 app time

May 9 - May 15 app withdraw time

May 16 Draw time

May 17 Email notifications

There is really no reason that I can think of for having the app period in February and drawing in May. It is not like they are gaining money on interest for up front fees.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Sorry mussels, ^^^^^^^
That post makes no sense at all !

No up front fees.

AND the draw is in May already. ..

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Sorry mussels, ^^^^^^^
That post makes no sense at all !

No up front fees.

AND the draw is in May already. ..
I think a lot of the heartburn is that the application period occurs before the tag numbers are even set.

If the DWR waited to open the application period until after the tag numbers were set then you wouldn't have had to change your kids application because you would have known that there were not going to be any tags for that particular CWMU. It would save a bunch of people (both applicants & the people contacting the applicants) some time and hassle that now have to make whole new selections for applications.

·
Super Moderator
9,621 Posts
It is called logistics, I doubt that they could get everything done is a months time frame from deciding the number of tags and seasons to getting the information out and everything else that has to be done. Even the states that have the application period in May make you wait until the end of June or into July before you know the results. Perhaps they need to go to a system if your application is rejected for any reason then you don't get a second chance at it.

Now if they were taking the tag fees up front and sitting on them for 3-5 months like Colorado does then there may be a gripe.

I even like those that say that they need to get out in May to see what the animals are doing so that they can make plans for their hunting trip. To these people I'll just say why not just go out into the hills and enjoy them for what they are? You have to figure that where the animals are in May just might be void of them come August to October when the tags are valid for. Not to mention that the antler growth is just starting to go progress and has a lot of growing left to do.

Now perhaps if everyone used a valid credit card, had no errors on their applications, and actually knew what and when they wanted to hunt then perhaps just a single week of being able to apply would be enough.

It's probably not much, but thousands of $10 application fees would generate some interest over 3 months.
But that isn't refundable but is spent on the process.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I think a lot of the heartburn is that the application period occurs before the tag numbers are even set.

If the DWR waited to open the application period until after the tag numbers were set then you wouldn't have had to change your kids application because you would have known that there were not going to be any tags for that particular CWMU. It would save a bunch of people (both applicants & the people contacting the applicants) some time and hassle that now have to make whole new selections for applications.
CWMU permit number ARE set before the application period....

AND are in the application guide book.

Again, dosen't make sense???????????????

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
It's probably not much, but thousands of $10 application fees would generate some interest over 3 months.
Again, most of the app fee gos to administration cost..
And a portion to the DWR.

Cant draw interest.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
CWMU permit number ARE set before the application period....

AND are in the application guide book.

Again, dosen't make sence???????????????
Then why did you apply for a CWMU that got closed...

doesn't make sence (sense)?????????????

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Then why did you apply for a CWMU that got closed...

doesn't make sence (sense)?????????????
Rhetorical question...

Because you had an INCOMPLETE picture of the landscape of opportunities at the time of application. Wouldn't it be nice to have the application period at a time when the picture of the landscape is (more) clear? Why do we have open applications when the ONLY tags that are set are the CWMU ones... and then even at that we come to find that one or more are subject to closure? Would you not have applied elsewhere initially if you had the knowledge that you have NOW? Don't get me wrong, I think we all can understand emergency closures and such.

And what about, if we look at a specific example, those who applied for a limited entry elk tag on the Cache, South unit? Sure, following the December WB meeting we were made aware that the age objective was increased from 4.75 to 6.75... which would obviously necessitate a decrease in tags. What nobody could foresee was how dramatic those tags cuts would be. With a complete and clear picture NOW we can see that tag numbers on this unit are cut in half. Which is a pretty dramatic decrease if you were basing your decision on previous years information. I'd be interested to speak to some of the applicants for the Cache, South to see if they would have altered their application based upon about 50% of the tags being cut because of the new age objective.

Whether it makes sense or not, all many of us are asking for is a more complete picture of what the landscape will look like when we actually put money down on these decisions.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Utah puts the application period first of all the western states (Feb). The goal is to get you to put in for all species you can apply for (Res and Non Resident). Then after the data is gathered from the biologist, (tooth data and winter counts, and harvest surveys) the data is put together for the RACs and Wb. Public process to get the recommendation through the RACs (3 weeks) and then the WB itself. Then the DWR has to append any changes that the WB makes. Then the DWR has to let Fallon know of the changes for the Draw to take place.

Needless to say Utah is first for application to get us all to commit to a tag in utah before we spend more money out of state. They want the $$$ first.

Not perfect in my mind, but that is the way many DWR guys have explained it to me over the years.

Could they do it in 1 month total process, Application Deadline, RAC process, WB meeting and do the drawing and post the results.... YES, but they don't want to.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
I've been saying it for multiple years, and will continue saying it: It's absolutely silly that we have to apply before tag numbers are known.

There is zero reason reason they can't set tag numbers by May 1 every year. App period open from April 15-May 8. Draw conducted and results posted by May 15.

Those that don't care about tag numbers and just want to apply can do so before numbers are set. Those that do care and want to know will have a week to apply afterward.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts