Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had several requests to remove the posts in this thread and have done do. It seems to have been a deliberate attempt to add fuel to a dispute going on in another thread. If the original post was legitimate, my apologies.

For those wondering what I'm talking about see: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1675

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Not to nitpick... but you missed one in a quote. 8) Good job on taking out some of the posts there. That was ridiculous that it was outed like that. _/O

·
Registered
309 Posts
So you deleted the post just because you thought that it was directed towards the other thread??

So are all posts from that location going to be deleted? If I go there tomorrow, and post a report when I get home, will you delete it? I'm not talking a report that just says, "hey, look where I fished." I mean a report that gives details, methods, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FC2Tuber said:
So you deleted the post just because you thought that it was directed towards the other thread??
Yeah, pretty much. I'm not saying that I necessarily made the right decision, but I was asked to moderate what had turned into a flame war, and I made a judgment call. I still suspect that the thread was a deliberate attempt to stir up trouble, but I have no way of knowing for sure. A difficult call, but I made it, right or wrong.

FC2Tuber said:
So are all posts from that location going to be deleted? If I go there tomorrow, and post a report when I get home, will you delete it? I'm not talking a report that just says, "hey, look where I fished." I mean a report that gives details, methods, etc.
Good question, with no clear answer on the bigger issue. The moderators here haven't really come up with a policy on identifying locations in fishing reports. This is obviously a touchy issue with some strong feelings on both sides. Saying the fishing is hot at a specific big popular reservoir is probably different from saying it's hot at a specific pond, and I don't pretend to know where that fuzzy boundary is.

What I do know is that being polite, honoring people's requests and refraining from engaging in online fights is important here, and we DO have rules regarding that. We're totally open to the idea of having a debate here on the pros, cons and finer points of what should be reported and under what conditions, but if it turns into another slug-fest, either I or one of the moderators will likely step in.

Like I said, we're certainly open to suggestions.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I was surprised to see that the post had been modified when I checked, this morning. For the sake of the water, that's cool with me.

And I fully believe the original poster did so to intensify the debates at hand, elsewhere. Obviously, the photo was taken quite a bit earlier in the year when the surrounding vegetation was green and he was wearing a t-shirt.

Back on the DWR site, he decided to join up just to throw fuel on THAT debate about the same area.

As much as I would want certain places to remain discreet, I can't find any justification in modifying future (legitimate) posts about any area though. That should come down to one's own conscience. Hopefully, people will make tasteful (respectful) decisions about that in the future.

I don't mean respectful to myself or any one person, in particular. I mean respectful of the people that live close to certain areas that may still be "under the rug", so to speak. Also respectful to the "following" that some places tend to develop.

I would gladly read someone's report without knowing where that spot is. Even when I recognize the area in the pictures, I don't feel any drive to disclose the location to the world. If the original poster didn't feel the need to do so, I shouldn't go that extra step since I wouldn't want that done to me (Golden Rule?).

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
I was going to talk to you about that last night. I read both threads and think they would both be better off locked.

BTW, I've fished there several times and I'm mad that any of you even know about it or have showed anyone the location. Shame on you, that's my reservoir. In fact, I'll bet the Bannock indians are infuriated.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If some says "don't taze me bro", it is a good bet he is going to get tazed. If someone says "don't reveal my secret spot", it is good bet someone is going to reveal it.
I am pretty sure several post were made on the same place and nothing was even said about it. Only when someone said "don't reveal my spot" was it outed. Just make a post and if you want to name names then do so, if you don't then don't and there won't be a problem.
later,
Griff

·
Registered
309 Posts
Petersen said:
FC2Tuber said:
Yeah, pretty much. I'm not saying that I necessarily made the right decision, but I was asked to moderate what had turned into a flame war, and I made a judgment call. I still suspect that the thread was a deliberate attempt to stir up trouble, but I have no way of knowing for sure. A difficult call, but I made it, right or wrong.

FC2Tuber said:
Good question, with no clear answer on the bigger issue. The moderators here haven't really come up with a policy on identifying locations in fishing reports. This is obviously a touchy issue with some strong feelings on both sides. Saying the fishing is hot at a specific big popular reservoir is probably different from saying it's hot at a specific pond, and I don't pretend to know where that fuzzy boundary is.

What I do know is that being polite, honoring people's requests and refraining from engaging in online fights is important here, and we DO have rules regarding that. We're totally open to the idea of having a debate here on the pros, cons and finer points of what should be reported and under what conditions, but if it turns into another slug-fest, either I or one of the moderators will likely step in.

Like I said, we're certainly open to suggestions.
That was a great reply Petersen, truly. I will second what LOAH had to say regarding future posts of ANY reservoir, lake, stream, river, etc. If the original poster wants it disclosed, then they should be able to make a post and not have to keep it secret.

I would also say that if you post somewhere that you don't want disclosed, then plan on the chance that someone will call out the place, whether you wanted them to or not.

Thanks for being open and upfront when answering my sincere question.

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
I just found out that * Creek is really Deer Creek, I really didn't know that place was so popular...!!!!!... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Some of the most stupidest threads I've ever seen.... :roll: :roll:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts