Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was reading though the RAC agenda and on page 22 it explains the proposed cow elk hunts for 2016. For Currant Creek they are no longer going to sell the Control Permits, but they are selling 8,000 cow tags that are only for private land (not all 8,000 will be for currant creek), and they are getting rid of the normal cow elk hunts in October. The first cow elk hunt on Currant Creek won't start until 11/21.

Why are they getting rid of the October cow elk hunt? I agree that they need to stop with the Control Permits, but now we are giving thousands of cow tags out that are only good on private land? This is a joke. I have hunted up there for 16 years and always had a change to try and draw a cow tag that I could use during the first weekend in October. This has allowed me to Spike elk hunt in August on the bowhunt and then rifle hunt for a cow in October. Most of the areas I go aren't accessible by road in November due to weather and winter road closures.

This seems like they are just punishing the public for the mistakes they have made in the past by killing off too many cows with the control tags.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
There have been about a dozen threads with hundreds of posts from the last year explaining this.

I'm not sure if it's going to work. I'm skeptical. But at least they're trying. That is a positive sign.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I would be interested in seeing the total number of cow's killed on control tags. Any bets that it is actually a pretty small number, 'cause I sure think so.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
I would be interested in seeing the total number of cow's killed on control tags. Any bets that it is actually a pretty small number, 'cause I sure think so.
I have not pulled the numbers for 2014 or 2015, but the Wasatch Currant Creek/Avintaquin Units (now called Wasatch East) had the following numbers in 2013: A total of 1262 control permits purchased. 327 harvested, for success rate of 25.9%.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I'd think so too. Spending $30 on that permit was probably a worse gamble than spending $30 on my sportsman's permit applications...

(sarcasm)

(sort of)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Elk are still over objective. The elk have adapted and moved to the private land after bullets start to fly. They have to do something to control the over all elk herd without killing off all of the ones on public land. So they are trying this new approach.

Hope that explains it TRCLEMENTS.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Private land

So is the Ute Tribe going to open up the land for the cow hunters, no. Remember a few years ago there was the big "to do" over them rounding up cows and selling them? Are they going to make a bunch of private land CWMU's for the problem?-O,-

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Tribal reservations are "sovereign domestic nations" that is why they have their own game regulations/enforcement. Nothing Utah can do to force the Ute tribe to adopt any game management strategy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts