Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading out for Muzzy Spike/Anterless on Tuesday night, camping for a week. I know the area I'm headed, shot a cow out of it last year same time, similar weather. Just wondering if my good karma from finding and returning that bow to its owner earlier this year might lead me to getting any update on the condition of the herd or any update on locations of elk since I heard the opener was a junk show for rifle. We went up to scout a few weeks back but everyone up there was saying it was pretty quiet.
Thanks in advance and congrats to those who have filled and good luck to remaining tag holders.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hit or miss. Some areas still have cow elk around, but they are isolated populations. The area I hunt north of Currant Creek Reservoir is hurting though. During muzzy deer season, I saw more bulls than cows. I then found three cow carcasses while I was out for the opener of rifle deer and saw two bulls, but no cows. The hunters during rifle elk season definitely pounded them in a lot of the unit.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Some will tell you that all you have to do is get off the road and you'll find elk. Others will tell you that there are no elk left on the unit. The truth is both are wrong, IMO.

I put 5.6 miles in by lunch on opening day of deer hunt (with a control tag in hand) and aside from my starting point, was never near a motorized trail or road. I didn't see a single other orange dot in that area. And all I saw was some does/fawns and one 6 point bull. This is an area that usually holds elk.

Yesterday I went to a different area that I have seen elk every single day I have ever been to this spot. It wouldn't have been especially pleasant to kill one there, but thought I'd take a look. Nada.

The powers that be will tell you that there are still a lot of elk on the unit. I don't necessarily think they are lying, I just don't have a clue where they are. It's a lot tougher to kill a cow there than it used to be.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
the seeing more mature bulls then cows is a recurring theme for this year. of couse there are still some cows on the unit but few and far between compared to what it was and what the dwr claims is on there . but there is still opportunity to find some cows and spikes up there good luck. the next few years on the other hand are going to be tough hunting its a shame to see where that unit is trending

·
Registered
59 Posts
We also hunted north currant creek on the rifle elk hunt for 1 week. We saw several nice bulls and one lone calf. We never did see a cow or spike. We did see several people with cows in vehicles that were taken.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Success. Glassed this guy and a few others from a far ridge, made the play, 1/2 miles up from the car. Next morning went back, saw 3 more head on top of the ridge, and managed to be about 5 minutes late into the clearing where we could have taken one of many spikes or cows. Oh well!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts