Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
I'm going to switch to 300gr XTPs next trip out, that with the new scope... should be dramatically different experience.

Side note, I'm really low on 300gr XTPs... usually only used them on elk. I got to googling and every major retailer is out of stock... so I redid my google search, picked a spot about 30 pages into the search results and started looking over smaller stores I've never heard of, found one with two boxes in stock, and at pre-run prices. I quickly purchased them, we'll see if they actually ship.

Maybe we need a specific Accura ML loads thread as so many of us are shooting new "to us" guns.

-DallanC

·
Administrator
11,312 Posts
When I first got my CVA Accura V2 and took it out to the range I couldn't hit a 6'x6' piece of cardboard at 100 yards They said that they had bore sighted the scope but they either forgot or something was wrong. I pulled the target in to 25 yards and a few shots later I was back where it should of been. Then once at 100 it wasn't hard to get it zeroed in. I am shooting 100 grains of BH209 and a TC T-EZ 250 grain bullet and I have my group down to just under a inch at 100 yards.

I need to get out and shoot it a little this summer but need to go easy, I only have about a half a can of BH209 left but I'll see what I can do with some 777 since I have a bottle of it.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Some, but not much. Supplies are still dwindling (except for Pyrodex, if you need that Scheels has that in stock atm). I doubt we'll see much in the way of primers at most retailers for several years. Prices seem to have a new base too... MidwayUSA wants $54 per 1000 primers... but they dont have any in stock.

Seriously, if you are short on anything, do what you can to get supplies now, its going to be terrible a few weeks before the hunt and those who procrastinated are all clamoring for supplies. Work some trades with members here if you need. Otherwise, be prepared to shell out some big $$$ for supplies in the reseller market or gun shows. Primers suck due to the extra hazmat fee to get them shipped from online sellers.

-DallanC

·
Administrator
11,312 Posts
For this year if you need some supplies and see them you better buy them or someone else will

For what little that I need I will pay their inflated price, but I will also buy just what I need and no more.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Woot... just got back from meeting up with a gentleman where we did some primer swapping. I had what he wanted, he had two trays of 209M's that I needed. That was the only thing I was getting short on. Now I can do alot of shooting to get this gun dialed in. I'll post results later

Its easier to do trades than trying to buy stuff outright I've found. 3rd primer trade I've done in the past couple months.

-DallanC

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
When I first got my CVA Accura V2 and took it out to the range I couldn't hit a 6'x6' piece of cardboard at 100 yards They said that they had bore sighted the scope but they either forgot or something was wrong. I pulled the target in to 25 yards and a few shots later I was back where it should of been. Then once at 100 it wasn't hard to get it zeroed in. I am shooting 100 grains of BH209 and a TC T-EZ 250 grain bullet and I have my group down to just under a inch at 100 yards.
I have always started sighting all my guns @ 25 yards for sighting in. Then it's close enough to fine tune when I go out to 100 yards.
It saves a lot of frustration and ammo that way.

I would like to find one more package of primers, but about the thing I have for trade bait is .243 in 100 grains. I'll be okay more than likely with what I have because I did early rifle this year, but I will need to sight the new one in. The only muzzle hunt I would have is elk.......IF I can get a tag with that mess if a deal.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I picked up 4 packs (60) of the CVA Powerbelt ELR .45 280 grain bullets at Cal Ranch last week. There was a bunch on the rack at that time. I went back this morning to buy more and they are gone. I guess someone else has been watching them. They had the best price too, dang it! Powder and projectiles still seem easily available, with the exception of Blackhorn powder. Primers are the hardest thing to get right now.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Finally got out for the first shoot with the Accura this morning. Started at 100 yards, 2 shots and couldn’t hit paper. I moved in to 50 yards, played with the scope and hit left. Adjusted the scope right a bunch of times and found center. Moved back to 100 yards last shot was high. Needs fine tuning at 100 yards, but too hot to finish today. I’m happy with the rifle and scope.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
So IDK if anyones shot theirs... but "most accurate muzzleloader you'll ever own" is a JOKE.

I was using huge 24x24" paper targets for this, all at 100 yards. BH209 100gr by weight, 240gr XTP Hornady Sabots. 209M primer... and yes, I bought the special BH209 breech plug. Also fired from bench rest on a lead sled (no weights).
100 gr by weight is pretty hot. Have you tried 90 or 100 gr by volume? You might have better accuracy by slowing it down. Less unburned powder to clean as well.

I’m running 90gr (by volume) of BH209 with a Barnes T-EZ 290 and it groups very well out of an Accura V2. Much better than it did with 100gr or 110gr of powder (by volume).

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
100 gr by weight is pretty hot. Have you tried 90 or 100 gr by volume? Iglu might have better accuracy by slowing it down. Less unburned powder to clean as well.

I’m running 90gr (by volume) of BH209 with a Barnes T-EZ 290 and it groups very well out of an Accura V2. Much better than it did with 100gr or 110gr of powder (by volume).
Ahhhh thats good to call that out. I need a comma in that sentence. Let me clarify:

I used a 100gr by volume load. I measured it however on the scale by weight for higher accuracy and consistency (confused yet? LOL). The recommended load is 100gr by volume. To be more precise, BlackHorn states you can multiply the volumetric load by .7 and use that value as a scale weight.

So, my 100gr by volume load was 70gr by weight on the scale. That is what I used.

I'm really confident my issue is the scope or scope mount. I've remounted the mount torqued and locktited, and remounted the new scope on that. I think it should be fine next time out.

PS: If the new scope shoots decent, I'll be sending in the Konus for repair / replacement. We'll see if they honor their lifetime warranty as well as Vortex does.

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Ahhhh thats good to call that out. I need a comma in that sentence. Let me clarify:

I used a 100gr by volume load. I measured it however on the scale by weight for higher accuracy and consistency (confused yet? LOL). The recommended load is 100gr by volume. To be more precise, BlackHorn states you can multiply the volumetric load by .7 and use that value as a scale weight.

So, my 100gr by volume load was 70gr by weight on the scale. That is what I used.

I'm really confident my issue is the scope or scope mount. I've remounted the mount torqued and locktited, and remounted the new scope on that. I think it should be fine next time out.

PS: If the new scope shoots decent, I'll be sending in the Konus for repair / replacement. We'll see if they honor their lifetime warranty as well as Vortex does.

-DallanC
Gotcha, that makes sense now. I just wanted to make sure you weren’t running to hot, as that seems to affect accuracy for me. Good luck, hopefully the scope issue fixes it.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I too run the 290gr TMZ-EZ over 100gr by volume of bh209. Accura v2 w cheap bushnell banner 3-9 I had lying around.

Gun shoots as well as I do @ 100yds.

I measure my powder with a brass powder horn is all.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Cabela's has some 250 grain Tompson/center sabots available. Ordered a couple boxes last week that's shipped. Not my preferred bullets, but hopefully the BC won't be too far off from 250 grain barnes TEZ. Going to use them to ballpark my smokepole, before loading those irreplaceable barnes TEZ for final sight in.

Just some out of the box thinking. May also consider a laser boresighter too if you don't already have one. That should save you a few primers, powder, and bullets.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Dang! 2 weeks until deer season. I literally hunt 5 minutes from my house, so I scout every evening and I can tell you there are a lot of bucks this year. Mostly seeing 2 points, but 3's and 4's are not uncommon. The hunt starts later this year and ends up conflicting with the waterfowl opener. No big deal! Hunt Wednesday-Friday for deer, wake up early Saturday and hunt ducks/geese, get home in the afternoon and hunt deer again. I can't wait to smash a deer with the new muzzleloader. 2 point or whatever, I don't care.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Looking back on this, how do you find the refurb offer from CVA? I googled it and came up empty. Is there some special page or perhaps they only do it every once in awhile? Looks awesome. Good luck on your hunt. This is my second season muzzleloader hunting. It's the best hunt of the year in my opinion. I'll be out Wednesday to Sunday probably.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts