Utah Wildlife Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Looking back on this, how do you find the refurb offer from CVA? I googled it and came up empty. Is there some special page or perhaps they only do it every once in awhile? Looks awesome. Good luck on your hunt. This is my second season muzzleloader hunting. It's the best hunt of the year in my opinion. I'll be out Wednesday to Sunday probably.
They sold out months ago.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I took the .50 cal. Optima out for the first time today. I think my daughter will like this rifle, I know I do. She bought it back in May of 2021, put a scope on it last November and it’s been sitting until today. 2 of my girls have GS muzzleloader deer tags. My other daughter will use my .45 Accura LR. I shot 2 shots out of the Accura today. Those are the ones covered with a black and orange sticker.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Wait tell you get a few more seasons on it and see if you still like it then. Personally I don't think CVA's are all they're cracked up to be. Unfortunately, they seem to have the lions share of the inline smokepole market. If there's something better then a CVA, i'm all ears. No idea on T/C or traditions, but from what I can tell they don't seem to be much better, if at all. I don't know.

The biggest issue i've had with my CVA is "engaging" the hammer. No problems at all the first year, but after that I've had issues with it. I'm guessing its not engaging the sear or something, i don't know. If you break it open the hammer will engage. If you close it, and then work the hammer it won't. It's seemingly random when it does it too. I've tried making sure the breach plug is screwed all the way in, snapping it closed hard, pushing on the break lever back and forth, etc. Last year during deer muzzy, I've tried so hard to **** that **** hammer i broke the hammer spur extension off. It doesn't matter if I've got it spotlessly cleaned either. It seems to do it when it's cold having never been fired after clearning, or after shooting it for awhile zeroing a scope or whatever during the summer. I hate the ****ing thing. I'm willing to drop 600 dollars on a smokepole (wife permitting) if it means getting away from the cva optima and never having these issues again.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Wait tell you get a few more seasons on it and see if you still like it then. Personally I don't think CVA's are all they're cracked up to be. Unfortunately, they seem to have the lions share of the inline smokepole market. If there's something better then a CVA, i'm all ears. No idea on T/C or traditions, but from what I can tell they don't seem to be much better, if at all. I don't know.

The biggest issue i've had with my CVA is "engaging" the hammer. No problems at all the first year, but after that I've had issues with it. I'm guessing its not engaging the sear or something, i don't know. If you break it open the hammer will engage. If you close it, and then work the hammer it won't. It's seemingly random when it does it too. I've tried making sure the breach plug is screwed all the way in, snapping it closed hard, pushing on the break lever back and forth, etc. Last year during deer muzzy, I've tried so hard to ** that ** hammer i broke the hammer spur extension off. It doesn't matter if I've got it spotlessly cleaned either. It seems to do it when it's cold having never been fired after clearning, or after shooting it for awhile zeroing a scope or whatever during the summer. I hate the ****ing thing. I'm willing to drop 600 dollars on a smokepole (wife permitting) if it means getting away from the cva optima and never having these issues again.
sorry to hear you are having issues. CVA has good customer service and a lifetime warranty. (At least for the Accura). I broke the stock where the sling goes. I contacted CVA and they shipped me a new stock at no cost to me. If you haven’t contacted them, please do so.

·
Administrator
11,312 Posts
sorry to hear you are having issues. CVA has good customer service and a lifetime warranty. (At least for the Accura). I broke the stock where the sling goes. I contacted CVA and they shipped me a new stock at no cost to me. If you haven’t contacted them, please do so.
I agree, get in touch with their customer service.

I did the same thing as Fowlmouth, I broke the stock on my Accura by shooting it off a solid rest which broke the stock at the sling stud on the forearm. After a couple of emails and a picture I had my new forearm for no charge even with me causing the problem.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I agree, get in touch with their customer service.

I did the same thing as Fowlmouth, I broke the stock on my Accura by shooting it off a solid rest which broke the stock at the sling stud on the forearm. After a couple of emails and a picture I had my new forearm for no charge even with me causing the problem.

That is exactly how I broke mine, but it was the butt stock. Goosefreak broke his butt stock the same afternoon just before I did. I ended up drilling a hole and threading a steel swivel stud in mine. I’m keeping the new stock for a backup. I will probably never need it because the steel stud is so much better.

·
Registered
499 Posts

The biggest issue i've had with my CVA is "engaging" the hammer. No problems at all the first year, but after that I've had issues with it. I'm guessing its not engaging the sear or something, i don't know. If you break it open the hammer will engage. If you close it, and then work the hammer it won't. It's seemingly random when it does it too. I've tried making sure the breach plug is screwed all the way in, snapping it closed hard, pushing on the break lever back and forth, etc. Last year during deer muzzy, I've tried so hard to ** that ** hammer i broke the hammer spur extension off. It doesn't matter if I've got it spotlessly cleaned either. It seems to do it when it's cold having never been fired after clearning, or after shooting it for awhile zeroing a scope or whatever during the summer. I hate the ****ing thing. I'm willing to drop 600 dollars on a smokepole (wife permitting) if it means getting away from the cva optima and never having these issues again.
Take a look at Knight Rifles. They only come in a bolt action, so they are a bit more challenging to clean. I have the disc extreme modified to shoot bare primers and it's worked great for me. They don't have the hype that CVA has or TC before them, but they make solid, good quality rifles.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
I think my Remington 700ML (not ultimate) would be one of the last guns I'd ever sell. After installing the Badger Ridge bolt nose mod... its a fantastic accurate and easy to clean rifle. Piled up a ton of big game kills with that gun.

-DallanC

41 - 48 of 48 Posts