Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you ever hunted on the Two Bear, Weber Florence, or Bally Watts units? I'm looking for a decent unit for my wife. She has 5 points this year and she is looking for a good respectable buck and an over all good hunting experience. We are not picky but I would like to see her shoot at something bigger than your typical Northern region 2 point.
Anybody reccomend any other units??

·
Registered
285 Posts
The outfitter i guide for runs the Two Bear CWMU, it is a fantastic unit, but with only 5 points you'll be hard pressed to draw. Good luck though! :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is just a general question about CWMU's. I'm new to the whole idea of putting in for the CWMU hunts or any limited entry unit. My dad has taught me that a northern utah two point is good enough and that putting in for something bigger is just not worth it. Well now that I'm a little older, and on my own, I have discovered the possibility of a larger deer. My question is, how many bonus points does it usually take to draw a CWMU tag? I know that they have draw odds posted on the web, but I can't desifer them. Any info would help. Thanks. The next deer I shoot will be a three point or better! And some day I hope to get a shot at a four.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well the good thing is you have a chance, it only gets better the more points you have. I drew a Deseret buck deer when I was 14, I now have 9 points for elk, havent drawn yet, but it is the luck of the draw. But generally cwmus are easier to draw than limited entry tags. Hope that helps if any.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The cwmus will vary pretty widely in that regard. Some of them you will draw with zero or one point, but the hunting isn't much better than on public land. It's really kind of a crap shoot unless you know something about the particular cwmu you're applying for. Some of the operators treat the public hunters poorly and reserve the good hunting for paying clients. Some treat everyone fairly. In general, a good cwmu tag will take as many points as a good LE tag. Probably around 6-8 for a good one and 10 or more for the best ones. Of course, that's for a guaranteed draw. You can get lucky on any hunt with fewer points. I would strongly suggest calling the operator before applying, and if possible trying to get input from people that have hunted there in the past. If you're only looking for a better-than-average buck, you may call the operator of Missouri Flat. I talked to him a few years back and he reported seeing good numbers of average 4 points in the 22-24" range. The names and numbers of all the operators are listed in the proc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts