Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Field and Stream magazine placed them in the 50 all time best lures list, but I've never hooked anything with mine. They left out the Blue Fox too. I'm glad I didn't pay for a subscription. :lol:

I got some "nibbles" at Strawberry once. I think I just need to play with my retrieve a bit and it'll start working better. Maybe the little printed devil face scares off the fish. :wink:

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
We troll them on our topwater rods and always seem to pick up fish. My wife caught a nice 15" brown on one at vernon using the rainbow colored one. We mostly fish rainbow, brown, black and white, and the red and white kind. A good lure but I don't think to many people use them much.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I get the feeling that they are not used much by most people. I know the pikers really love them, but I was wondering what else they work good for. I can get strikes on the red and whites but no hook ups. Hopefully this spring I will learn how to catch the pike with them.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
The world record rainbow hit a spoon. I'm not sure of the brand, but most spoons share similar characteristics.

I can recall somebody's post on the old forum about their wife catching a 25lb laker with a spoon at Fish Lake.

I guess they work, but I haven't found my niche yet.

Good luck to you.

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
fatbass said:
I think too many folks retrieve them too fast. I have caught many different fish on Dardevls by working them so slowly that they are just barely staying level. Try running them slowly just over weeds or brush. Vary the retrieve, letting them drop and then pull them back up a little faster. Just like a jig, the hit will often come when the spoon starts to fall.
Oh, and be sure to use a good quality swivel as these spoons will twist line like no other!
Very true !!! My neighbor used to catch a lot of fish at Flaming Gorge with the red and white. That is all he would use !! I went along to verify this story and it was true. I've never had very much luck with them myself, although this year I did buy a couple to try again..but haven't used them yet... :)

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
This is interesting to me that people haven't had luck with a dare devil. My grandpa taught me the ways of the red and white daredevil. I have caught more fish casting and retrieving with these that any other lure combined. They are my old reliable, and believe me the oldtimers now what they are doing. Just ask .45 :wink:

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
fixed blade said:
This is interesting to me that people haven't had luck with a dare devil. My grandpa taught me the ways of the red and white daredevil. I have caught more fish casting and retrieving with these that any other lure combined. They are my old reliable, and believe me the oldtimers now what they are doing. Just ask .45 :wink:
Did you're grandpa teach you how to respect you're elders ???? :evil: .. :lol:

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Yes, sorry sir. That was out of line I appoligize for my behavor. That was my youth speaking out again. Wait .45 according to our profiles I'm 2 years elder than you. Now who's being disrespectful. Boou yah.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've used red and white daredevils for years (lottsa years). I've caught rainbows and splake with them at fish lake, I've caught rainbows with them at Flaming gorge, I've caught rainbows with them in many smaller reservoir/ponds. Don't leave home without em.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fatbass said:
I think too many folks retrieve them too fast. I have caught many different fish on Dardevls by working them so slowly that they are just barely staying level. Try running them slowly just over weeds or brush. Vary the retrieve, letting them drop and then pull them back up a little faster. Just like a jig, the hit will often come when the spoon starts to fall.
Oh, and be sure to use a good quality swivel as these spoons will twist line like no other!
Thanks for the info Fatbass. That's the kind of detail I needed.

Thanks everybody, I guess there are plenty on here who can testify of the effectiveness with the spoons.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'll just add a quick reply to this. For the last two years trolling on Otter Creek Res. I, and everyone in our party have had great success with spoons. We've done the best with spoons in the 4-5 inch range, and colors in yellows/greens/orange combos. We've caught mostly bows and an occassional brown and cutthroat, all in the 14-18 inch range.
However, haven't had much success with them in other waters.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Red and white Daredevils- caught quite a few trout on them trolling and casting. But as a kid what a pike lure. Actually after a day or so the paint would be taken right off them and my mom would use her fingernail polish to repaint them for me.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess I am going to have to become proficient with these. I will make sure to stock up on some red and whites and 5 of diamonds when I start chasing pike in the spring.

Threshershark, I think you are confusing the daredevils with the red and white lunatics. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can recall somebody's post on the old forum about their wife catching a 25lb laker with a spoon at Fish Lake.
I can't pass up an opportunity to brag about my wife. We often catch splake and rainbows at Fishlake trolling either a red & white, or black and white spoon. Just lucky that the big boy hit her spoon. The one she was trolling was an old (I don't think they make them any more) Nu-Spoon which was black and white. We have also used Daredevils as well. She wants me to clarify that it was 26.8 pounds not 25, and that she only looks fat in the picture because of the big waders and the other 7 layers she had on to keep warm. LOL

Her previous best.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I had some really good luck out at lost creek last this last summer. Right at dusk we would troll them not too deep. We were catching some big cuts and bows on em.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts