Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I hunt elk up by dawgreens just east of china lake and a little east of gilbert meadows. This year and it seems to get worse every year and talking to all my friends that hunt not only this place but others are getting worse. I wet the second weekend this year up there and there was more people this year, the second weekend than there was any opening weeked ever. I talked to a hunter who told me there were more people up there the second weekend than there was the first. i know we all love our hunting and I dont want to upset anyone or take anyones hunting away. What Im driving at is the fact there are not very many animals left up there. I was wondering why our fish and game fight against wyoming to try to build up the heards there, instead they fight against each other and kill off the heards. I think somthing has to give or our children arent going to have anything hunt up there. I am only one individual so I cant do this by my self and I also dont know where to start to git this problem solved.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
You're touching on an issue that's important to a lot of hunters, but the first question is how important is it to you? I mean, talk's cheap. Making any significant change takes work, (if you'll excuse my language). You'll find lots of verbal support, but finding supporters who are actually willing to walk their talk isn't easy.

I'm not being negative. It's just that I've seen so many guys come up with ideas and then get frustrated when they find themselves walking alone. You can't do that - not if you're serious. There are a few out there who will give you real support, but they tend to be busy people with a lot on their plates, so you have to have patience.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Been hunting and fishing that area for 50 years. Dahlgreen is the name of the little stream that runs through that valley and then empties into Henry's fork. In the 60s there were tons of deer up there then right after they built Flaming gorge dam the herd numbers started going downhill. In the early 70s a couple of bad winters devastated the deer and they have never recovered. We quit hunting deer up there several yrs. ago and there are actually a lot more elk up there than there have ever been, which means more hunters. If you want to see more deer you might have to scout some other areas cause I don't think the herd up there will ever be much bigger than it is right now.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
I was up there for a few days during the elk hunt. It seemed a little more crowded than years past, but not too bad. I think it's due to the combo hunt.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I was up in that area for all but the last two days of the hunt, most of the combo buck tag holders hunted the roads, but it was a little more of a crowd than the year before. It seemed to me that the snow caused the hunters to bunch up on any tracks they saw. They did effectly drive most of the elk back into the wildereness area after the first couple of days. They sure put a damper on the animal movements during day light.

As for the herds being shot out, I don't buy it. I saw lots of animals during my scouting trips and during the hunt. The animals had already went thru bow and muzzleloader deer season, and were somewhat skiddish from that, I believe that they learn to avoid hunters and learn what areas to move into to do so. The herds may not be what they were years ago, but name one place where they are more numerous now than then; times change and populations change, but I don't see what the DNR could do differently to help the herd up there.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
We see lots of posts saying "more people then ever", but hunter numbers are lower then ever. I understand the Northern Unit may have had more people due to the buck/bull combos (by a little), but where are all these people coming from? I wasn't around UT during the peak hunting, but there are a hell of a lot less hunters in the hills now....and all you hear about is the crowds?

Micro managing the units might not be a bad idea....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts