Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a dead coyote while working above North Salt Lake today. I tracked what appears to be a fight thru the snow until I came upon the dead yote. He was not as bloody as you would think for being dead. There were a lot of other tracks around, but I could not tell what killed him. My thought is another coyote(s). There is one fairly bloody spot behind his shoulder, I didnt dig in to see if it was a bullet hole. My thoughts are maybe he got shot by a small caliber weapon and in the death process he moved around alot biting at the wound, which would explain the blood in his mouth. There were three spots where I found bits of blood and fur and looked as though there was a fight. Notice on the right side of him the drag marks, he was moved about three feet. He was also warm when he came to rest since he melted down into the snow. Later in the afternoon I heard another yote yipping and howling up the hill.

What are some of your thoughts on his possible demise?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The blood in the mouth could have been from a lung shot.? The drag mark and the footprint on top of the drag mark is interesting though. I wonder what was trying to eat him.

Maybe its a mexican grey wolf.:)

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I say he was shot spun around and dropped dead, then the shooters dog ran over grabbed it shook it around a bit then dagged it a little. Then the hunter called his dog back and they went looking for something else to kill. Did you notice any human tracks in the area?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HighNDry said:
I say he was shot spun around and dropped dead, then the shooters dog ran over grabbed it shook it around a bit then dagged it a little. Then the hunter called his dog back and they went looking for something else to kill. Did you notice any human tracks in the area?
There are a lot of human tracks in the area. There is a major walking path with in 20 feet of where he is laying.

Al Hansen said:
I would "guess " based on the photo a lung shot. Blood from the mouth is what I focused on.
I would agree, what doesn't make sense though is the fact he is laying in new subdivision under construction, next to a rich neighborhood. There is not a lot of shooting going on in this area, and also the three spots where he seems to have fought with something. The snow is all torn up, and there are bits of blood and fur that covers the distance of about 100 feet.

BugBuilder

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Was it a male or female? The coyotes are paired up right now because of mating season and males will fight other males coyotes over the female.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
um, I didn't look. :shock:

·
Registered
43 Posts
In a new subdivision? contractors or kids shot him with a small caliber wounding him? Somebody's pet found him while walking down the path. Hence the 3 places where a fight took place and with all the hair. After the yote died the owner of the pet was finally able to call off their dog but not wanting to leave it's prize, tried to drag him but eventually obeyed it's owner and left.

Mntman

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mntman said:
In a new subdivision? contractors or kids shot him with a small caliber wounding him? Somebody's pet found him while walking down the path. Hence the 3 places where a fight took place and with all the hair. After the yote died the owner of the pet was finally able to call off their dog but not wanting to leave it's prize, tried to drag him but eventually obeyed it's owner and left.

Mntman
Good theory. There are still tons of fresh tracks in the area, I am thinking about putting a trail cam up there to see what I can get. Any thoughts on what I should use as bait?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
BugBuilder said:
Good theory. There are still tons of fresh tracks in the area, I am thinking about putting a trail cam up there to see what I can get. Any thoughts on what I should use as bait?
A dead Coyote.:D

·
Registered
223 Posts
truemule said:
BugBuilder said:
A dead Coyote.:D
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Why not, it's already there! :wink:

Sounds like a good excuse to go shoot some jackrabbits to me.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are no new tracks around the dead one. They all know he's there and don't care anymore. It is also not a spot to set up the camera. I am going to put it several hundred yards up the hill in some scrub oak. I also don't have time to go shoot a Jack rabbit to bring back to the spot. I am wondering what kind of house hold garbage would work. Maybe some left over dinner or something? If anybody shoots a Jack this weekend send me a pm and maybe we could work together on this.

BugBuilder

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm not entirely sure but I don't think that baiting is going to reveal your coyote killer. I think you're more likely to get a bunch of trailcam pics of racoons, feral cats, stray dogs etc.
That close to a subdivision I'm thinking that the contractor or kid with a 22 theory, or possibly someones bigger dog is the culprit. Heck if there is a chow that lives anywhere near there I'd put my money on him being the culprit. There is also the possibility of it being another coyote, isn't it mating season right about now?

But in the end who knows, for all we know it was either Big Foot or Ted Nugent, oh wait, they're the same thing aren't they?

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
There has been a big boar black bear this year in the area you are talking about. We have seen him several times, the last being about 3 weeks ago.

Aren't they supposed to be sleeping in a hole this time of year?

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
Treehugnhuntr said:
There has been a big boar black bear this year in the area you are talking about. We have seen him several times, the last being about 3 weeks ago.

Aren't they supposed to be sleeping in a hole this time of year?
Seriously ? I saw one in Sardine Canyon this week...I didn't dare say anything cause I didn't take a picture, didn't have a camera...

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
Yeah, it was strange.

He's been really close to the houses up here since late summer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
OK this has obviously been a long winter! Its a dead yote I dont think this calls for a major investigation into why. A dead yotes a good yote but my guess is he tripped on an unseen rock (because of all the snow) hit his head and wandered around aimlessly for a few minutes bleeding profusely from his wound and eventually expired in this spot as for the human tracks once again it's been a long winter cooped inside I guess I'd go take a look myself. I hope I'm right and its not a huge conspiracy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts