Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I'd say yes if you have high dollar dekes you're trying to protect a paint job on or something like that... otherwise... no. I'd get a nice big bag so you can carry as many, or as few as you like. The thing about carrying dekes is that it'll always suck unless you can find a way to make it comfortable. I've got my bag (big water by Cabelas)bungeed to an aluminum pack frame and its the most comfortable I've been with dekes in six years of hunting. My bag holds probably about six dozen dekes or half that and a dozen geese dekes. However, that bag made by Splash looks to be the best thing out there if you're packing more than just six or a dozen. That'll be my next bag... for right now, my deal works for me. I have way too many dekes to go with the individual packs. Just my thoughts on it.... as a deathmarching footsoldier. 8)

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
You'll take more than a dozen in the boat right?? That would be the main consideration for me. I suppose that if you bought a mess of them, the bags I mean, then yeah, that would work. It would probably make your dekes and the paint jobs last for a really long time that way too. I don't know... IF I was to hunt out of a boat, I'd want to get out, get set up and picked up as quick as possible... so taking the time to put them away in individual slotted bags would be too time consuming for my liking. Of course, not everyone is going to feel that way so if it would fit your style, then totally go for it. 8)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Duurty1 said:
well i have a boat and i was just wondering if it is easier to put out and pick up decoys
I can gurantee you this, it will not make things any easier, just a lot harder. I talked to guys that said this was the only way to go, that it kept the paint looking great. I tried it for awhile, hated it and they told me not to even worry about tying up strings and anchors so I tried that, almost every decoy ended up tangled.

I personally think they are useless, unless your running decoys you have to worry about the paint, like greenhead gear :lol:

I was running goose decoys as well, so I dont know for sure how it would be with ducks but I can only imagine the heartache of six dozen pains in my arse vs. three dozen with geese :? .

If you are going to try it, I would highly recomend you only try one at first. GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I hunt out of a boat to. I can set up in about 20min. if I am putting out a BIG spread. When I pick up, I use the electric motor, and have my buddy hooking dekes. I put them in the boat, not the bag. After I have the boat on the trailer, we wind up the anchors and put them in the bags. This way I can get off the water faster, and be in before it gets to dark. I have lights on the boat for running out, and setting up, but I don't like coming in when it's real dark.

I don't have any problems with tangled lines. I have made a "slot board" out of 1" grey conduit that I have on each side of the boat with a slot in it for the line to go. The weight rest's in the coduit, and rides fine to the trailer. It's easy putting them in the bag after I get in.

Take care of the dekes after each hunt, and you will have a pleasent hunt setting up!! Save yourself some time by not dealing with tangles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts