Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have for the most part hunted on my own and trying to jump-shoot and pass-shoot ducks. This hasn't work well for me so I figured I would get some decoys and see if that brought me better luck. While looking at decoys I am not sure what to get or how many I would need or if using a combination of the electronic decoys and regular decoys are a good idea. So I am looking for ideas and information on what works.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
GHG dekes are realistic and won't make your wallet hurt too badly. Just figure out whats using the area you hunt and buy dekes to match those birds. Flambeau also makes some cheap decoys... not nearly as realistic, but they'll get the job done. You DON'T need electronics to get birds in.... you can create motion with a jerk string if you have a mind to. You can also depend on wind to create motion... granted, that doesn't work as well on calm days. 8) Coots... use em. Thats all I'm going to say about that.... If you're not successful jumpshooting.... I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that I'd guess you found the right spots, you're just early yet. Its more effective the last two months of the season than it will ever be in October and November when its still reasonably warm and the birds have tons of open water to choose to sit on.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
ghg are some realy decoys and wont brake you wallet. they look good on the water.For the numbers if your walking out I would go with about 2 dozen. I would mix them up up with soem mallards,pintails, spooneys adn some gadwalls. that should do you pretty good. you can add teal and what ever else you want to.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have a decoy question - what factors go into deciding whether or not to use them?

The second Saturday of the season I hit FB and we set up a dozen off the crowded east dike. One guy pointed out that most of the birds were flaring when they got near the spread, as opposed to the opener when he had birds landing in his spread in the same area. The second week he chose not to put out deeks at all because the birds had become wary, said he would wait to put them out until some fresh birds came in later in the season.

Also, I have seen a lot of mojo motion ducks in Farmington and they don't seem to make a big difference based on what I have seen - anyone have another perspective on that?

Then this last saturday there were some guys who put two floaters and one motion ducks about 5 yards out - seemed liked the birds actually came in better for 3 decoys than 1 dozen in other spreads. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
219 Posts
This year I have been using some of those Latex rubber Deeks.
When I was a kid I had about 2 dozen of them and they worked good then so
when I found them in the bargin cave I jumped on them.

I really like them I can carry a dozen in my shell bag and put out only a few or all of them.
With some of the long hikes I take there compactness is great. There not as realistic as the GHG ect. But there colors look good and the birds will lock up on them. By the time they figure
there just ducky looking condoms it's to late anyway. They also swim good in real light wind.
But there retail price seems a bit steep so I keep searching the cave for another dozen.
Would somebody try em and return em so I can get more Please!!

Spry

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
scott_rn said:
I have a decoy question - what factors go into deciding whether or not to use them?

Also, I have seen a lot of mojo motion ducks in Farmington and they don't seem to make a big difference based on what I have seen - anyone have another perspective on that?
Well, there's more pro's out there that can fill you in on this but for me.... if I'm sitting, I have dekes out.... unless I'm hunting off the dike with my daughter. Then, it just doesn't matter.... and jumpshooting, well, that should be self explanatory. When I do use dekes, I try to match what I've seen from the ducks sitting on the water.... usually I form some sort of line, with a pocket... lately, I've picked up another idea that seems to work quite well. But yeah... thats about it for me... I use them anytime I hike out to just sit somewhere. Numbers wise... well, I just use what I've got and occasionally I'll pull some but usually I just go full spread and haven't really noticed a big difference either way.

Now... onto your second statement. My opinion is that they made a huge difference when they first came out, birds have become conditioned to them a little more and now some guys are so dependent on them to have a good hunt that they wouldn't ever hunt without the Mojos. I honestly mean that if they had to hunt without them, they'd be totally lost and would expect to have a crappy hunt because they couldn't put out Mojos, Lucky Ducks, or whatever. :shock: I've not ever owned one....and probably won't being a footsoldier guy. :? Weight is a concern to guys like me too. I've seen days where the birds get sucked right in by them... and other days when we could have had twenty of them out and the birds still wanted to be elsewhere.... they're not a guarantee of birds, regardless of what some guys have convinced themselves of. My hunt on Sunday is ample proof to me of that. We had ducks sitting in a weedpatch on a channel and came out with ten.... no motion except a tiny breeze and a little current. :D I would think, and this is just my opinion, that a more consistent "duck getter" would be motion on the water in your dekes courtesy of wind, jerk strings, little shaker dekes, quiver magnets or whatever. I've never had natural duck motion on the water flare birds that I could tell.... but I've seen them bail out on a spread with a couple Lucky's going in it. Sometimes they work, but they don't work often enough that I'm fine hunting without them. Of course, other guys will have their opinion on this. 8)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yellowdog are the decoys your using those featherlight inflatables? I've been looking at them, they have half dozen for $15 at wallyworld. would really like to cut down on the weight for the long hikes out and back. thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts