Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the dedicated hunter tag in area 4/5/6. I have really enjoyed the archery hunt (my first time)...and even missed a 32 yard shot on a 2 point!!! Darn. But I am hooked. The extended archery hunt has me really excited. Just a few questions:

1. Can I hunt extended with the dedicated hunter tag (after the online course)?

2. Can I hunt any of the extended areas?

3. Is the length of the hunt the same every year? (i.e. sept - November)

Thanks for all that I have learned from you over the years!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

Working now on scouting (ok...google earth and online maps) to find some possible places to set up early or late. Will get out and hike a little on Friday to pick a spot for Sat. morning!

Struggling to find where private and public boundaries lie. I just purchased a card for my rino which should help

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Woah!!! just discovered that the archery hunt is still on...until Friday. I had written down in my calendar at the start of the year that it ended last Friday. I am so confused. I spent today up at Strawberry when I could have been hunting 4/5/6???? Aghhhhhhhh!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heading up to the area where I missed a 2 point 2 weeks ago. Never know what I'll see. Get a chance to check my trail cam also. Still have muzzle and rifle. Also starting extended archery on Saturday.

I have scouted Bountiful Peak, a few spots on Monte Cristo...and now a little in North Ogden for the extended. This is all new to me but really enjoying hunting close to home...and multiple chances in the field.

Having deer come in at dusk on a waterhole was exhilarating. I was too close! 10 yards off and I couldn't move or they would spook. I finally reached to get my binos to look in the low light...and that slight movement started a stampede. Will set up a little further back next time.

My buddy was walking a ravine while I hit a ridge. He happened onto a 4 pt. Head was down feeding...20 yds. Buddy nocked an arrow but the snap sent the big boy running. Wow! That's how they survive! No shot there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No deer today. Cool experience though. Sat on trail by my trail cam at 5:30 am. Heard animals moving through the forest. I hear a few bull elk bugling high towards the ridge behind me. By 6:30, light is up and I start to hear branches break behind me. I nock an arrow, lock in, and turn towards my left/ looking back up the mountain. Not 20 yds away is the head/ neck of a cow elk peeking through some brush at me. Stayed there for a few minutes. Further behind her a group of elk...I could just catch glimpses of bodies, moved down and across the trail through scrub oak. then she joined them and moved down the canyon! Sure wish I had snatched up one of the antlerless elk tags!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts