Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you be intrested in a dedicated hunter program for Elk? I am sure this has to come up in rack/board meetings, what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
sign me up I'd do it.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I'd do it also.... probably just chase them with a bow all year but I'd still put in hours so that I could hunt all areas all three seasons.

·
Registered
320 Posts
For sure I would do it!! I would love to!! *()*

·
Registered
1 Posts
What would happen to all those precious bonus points.....not to mention how those who have put in for soo many years would feel.....I think it's wrong.....just as I think dedicated deer is also wrong.....I was once a dedicated deer hunter and I think there is a better way to go about this so it stays fair for everyone and not just change the rules when you take a liking to.....or when it suits you.

·
Registered
610 Posts
concernedone said:
What would happen to all those precious bonus points.....not to mention how those who have put in for soo many years would feel.....I think it's wrong.....just as I think dedicated deer is also wrong.....I was once a dedicated deer hunter and I think there is a better way to go about this so it stays fair for everyone and not just change the rules when you take a liking to.....or when it suits you.
Why would a Dedicated Hunter elk program have anything to do with Bonus Points? All the limited entry bull permits would still be there it would just give elk hunters a chance to hunt all three weapons on the spike only areas or the open bull areas. With the DH deer program there is still limited entry deer areas that don't have anything to do with the DH program. Just curious what is it that you don't like about the current DH program?

Mark

·
Registered
202 Posts
Amen!

Will someone, I mean EVERYONE please ask the DWR for elk dedicated hunter over and over until they finally listen!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Let me tell ya why I dont think dedicated hunter programs are good. I think that it hurts the hunting because your out there for all 3 hunts untill you get one and the odds are you will get one this way and what kind of impact does that do to our hurds. I think a lot of things go on in this state that we dont know about and I think it would scare the you know what out of us. I know about the moon lake area when the indians killed off over 1500 head of elk just so they can sell off over 2500 head of elk to these stupped elk farmers and our fish and game, govourner leavett nore the FBI would do a thing about it so I know what things like this does to our hurds. Mabey these #s make a lot of diffrence but if you stop and think about what all the dedicated hunters getting there fill would make. I know your thinking but Im only 1 but what about all the others. I dont know how many there are but if there were 2500 and 2000 people got there bag just think of the impact.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Remember that it would be like the deer program and you could only take 2 elk every three years. I don't think harvest numbers would get way higher than they are now.

·
Registered
610 Posts
elkhunter said:
Let me tell ya why I dont think dedicated hunter programs are good. I think that it hurts the hunting because your out there for all 3 hunts untill you get one and the odds are you will get one this way and what kind of impact does that do to our hurds.
Dedicated hunters have a lower harvest sucsess than the regular hunter. The sucsess rate for dedicated hunters is right around 17% where the regular hunt is at 25%. Even though dedicated hunters can hunt all three seasons I think this keeps them from killing deer as they want to go the next season. Also only being able to kill two deer in three years keeps DHers from harvesting a deer. I have been in the DH program for 8 years and have only killed three deer. I have passed up a ton a deer I know I would have shot if I would have had a general tag. Being in the DH program has made me much more selective in what I shoot. I killed a nice four point on the bow hunt this year but I almost wish I would have passed him up as I really want ot go ont he ML and rifle hunt.

Mark

·
Registered
812 Posts
+1 mark

i have been in the dh program for 9 years and just entered for the fourth time. in those 9 years i have killed 3 deer. my standards have gone way up on what i am willing to shoot. most of the dh'ers are this way from what i have gathered from conversation i have had.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ok north slope you are right about that I forgot about that. I guess it wouldnt be so bad then. I know for those of who do this it is a great thing. I think I might do this as well if I could but for my profesion I cant commit to nothing. I drive trains for a living so sometime somethings like this just dont work for me. Im sorry I forgot only 2 harv est in 3 yrs my appologies to the fella that started this hope you except it. hope things go well

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Elkhunter, no worries... It is just a idea, I am sure I am not the first guy that has talked about this.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Have you read the dedicated statictics? I don't think they do kill more animals. Most guys that do it are more than capable of harvesting a deer every year but don't.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts