Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you feel the Dedicated hunter cap should be raised higher?

Do you think dedicated hunters should give more service hours or attend more RAC meetings?

Do you think dedicated hunters should be able to kill 3 deer in three years?

Would you like to see a dedicated hunter deer/elk combo hunt?

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
Do you feel the Dedicated hunter cap should be raised higher? Um....no.

Do you think dedicated hunters should give more service hours or attend more RAC meetings? On hours, no, as I will be needing to do 14 hours this year, it is tough to get done, on RAC's whatever, as long as there were more reasonable location options, it seems so goofy to not have a location between Springville and Ogden, where 50% of the states population resides.

Do you think dedicated hunters should be able to kill 3 deer in three years? No, I think 2/3 is good.

Would you like to see a dedicated hunter deer/elk combo hunt? Absolutely!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Do you feel the Dedicated hunter cap should be raised higher? possibly but probably not

Do you think dedicated hunters should give more service hours or attend more RAC meetings? 36 hours and at least two racs.

Do you think dedicated hunters should be able to kill 3 deer in three years? I don't think it would have an effect on deer herds or ded hunters success rates so I could support this.
Would you like to see a dedicated hunter deer/elk combo hunt? YES

·
Registered
184 Posts

What would it hurt? Nothing same amount of tags are sold, you would just get more service hours and less animals killed.

Do you think dedicated hunters should give more service hours or attend more RAC meetings?

More hours meetings are good.

Keep it at the 2 deer.

No

·
Registered
366 Posts
Why not? More volunteers hours, harvest numbers would be controlled, potentially more people involved in RAC process

Probably not more hours but more RAC meetings, I agree that they need to have a meeting closer to largest population

No, 2 deer in 3 years is fine

Great idea.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
I would prefer all deer hunters in the program, or keep it capped where it is.

More service hours, and get rid of the RAC meeting requirement. I see little/no value in making people attend a meeting they have NO intention of being a part of.

No, 2 deer in 3 years is fine

Great idea.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am curious as to why most of you feel that additional RAC's should be attended? I think 1 is more than enough. I feel like my voice is never going to be heard and the minds of the board are already made up before the meeting starts, so what is the point?

Rut

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
RuttCrazed said:
I am curious as to why most of you feel that additional RAC's should be attended? I think 1 is more than enough. I feel like my voice is never going to be heard and the minds of the board are already made up before the meeting starts, so what is the point?

Rut
While I don't believe mandating more RAC attendance would benefit anyone, my reasons are 180 degrees from yours. I believe if the DH would participate in the RAC's instead of just sitting there and saying NOTHING/little, they could make a difference.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The dedicated hunter deer/elk combo hunt season dates would be:

archery deer and elk the same date

ML deer and ML elk same time as the ML deer season

Rifle deer and rifle elk starting Oct 21 so during the rifle deer hunt

·
Registered
335 Posts
I believe if the DH would participate in the RAC's instead of just sitting there and saying NOTHING/little, they could make a difference.
I agree with this statement 100%! I attended the central RAC meeting last night. Of the 100+ people there, there were never more than 5 comment cards submitted for any one action item. To the dedicated hunters who think their voice will not be heard I ask, how can you expect to be heard if you don't speak up?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I think the program should be mandatory for ANY general season deer hunter.
and yah I see no point in sitting there playing with my cell phone, picking my nose, not giving a sheet about what is going on, just waitin to sign my name so I can escape!

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
and yah I see no point in sitting there playing with my cell phone, picking my nose, not giving a sheet about what is going on, just waitin to sign my name so I can escape!
So is it safe to say that the majority of DH hunters and most hunters for that matter don't really care what kind of decisions are made at RAC meetings?

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
chet said:
Your post is pure poetry!

·
Registered
366 Posts
RuttCrazed said:
I get what your saying to a point, in the meetings I have been to, it did seem like all the decisions had been made before hand and what was discussed was more of an announcement. The reason I suggested more required RAC's is probably optimistic. My logic goes like this......I think it's safe to say that DH are intrested in the future of hunting (some more-some less). 'Forcing' them to attend additional RAC's may help them see how future of hunting is and can be changed. More meetings may open people's eyes to what is happening and motivate them to get more involved. At a minimum it is educational and I don't see any harm in that.

·
Registered
610 Posts

I would like to see the cap removed and every deer hunter in the program

Same service hours, remove the RAC requirement

No leave it at 2 deer in 3 years. I would like to se this implemented state wide on the General deer hunts. Let people only shoot one deer in a two year period. I think this would make people be a little more selective in what they shoot, yet still be able to hunt every year unless they choose to shoot a deer the first year. I would rather see this that going to smaller regions and only being able to hunt every two three years.

Would you like to see a dedicated hunter deer/elk combo hunt?[/quote]

Yes

·
Registered
782 Posts
CS, I think that all sportsmen and sportswomen care about the decisions made, but I also think that they mostly feel the same way that Rut feels: like they cant make a difference.
And it's generally easier to come up with excuses (work, kids, car broke down, got drunk, stepped in doggy doo, S.T.D. 'flare up') than it is to SHOW UP! And Pro's definition of "SHOW UP" doesnt include napping on the back row.

And yes I am totally serious about the DH program (or something similar) being MANDATORY for any general season deer hunter!

·
Registered
424 Posts
For all those who feel DH should be mandatory for all hunters, how are you going to "guarantee" they get their choice of area to hunt? Would that benefit go away or would you like to see the southern area loaded with more hunters? And that would also mean hunters that now hunt every other year because they can't draw an area more than that (not considering how this next year will shake out with the added 12 year olds) can harvest 3/6 years whereaas DH can harvest 4/6 years.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Doc said:
For all those who feel DH should be mandatory for all hunters, how are you going to "guarantee" they get their choice of area to hunt? Would that benefit go away or would you like to see the southern area loaded with more hunters? ...........
The cost of gas will take care of that issue..........

·
Registered
782 Posts
I dont hunt the southern region, as long as they stay out of central. :lol:
Just kidding!
there are several issues that would have to be addressed.

they have talked about "drawing" to be able to join????????

I dont know the answers..... I just like to run my mouth 8)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts