Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my truck and snowmobile all packed up for an early trip to the berry saturday morning only to wake up at 5 am to a truck that would not start. After an hour and a half messing with that thing I decided Strawberry wasn't in the cards fir the day since the early bite is the time to be up there.
So i loaded a few things into the car and headed to Deer Creek.
Man that was a good choice.
I don't know how everyone else did but I was away from the island and watching all the people over there and figured I am glad I hiked down the steep slope, after falling down.
Anywho, I fished in 40' and pulled a nice perch in right away.
Then fish finder marked fish higher so I reeled up for a nice rainbow.
Sure is handy having a finder to reel up and down to where the fish actually are underneath you.
Caught another couple trout before catching another fat perch. Wished I coulda caught more of them but there were not many on the screen so close to the bottom like perch will do.
Ended up with 8 bows and those 2 perch.
Stopped fishing around 1 but there were still fish biting every so often, which doesn't usually happen at the berry.
All in all, I was glad the truck didn't start because I cut half hour each way off of my drive and ended up catching some great fish.
I took pics and will post them tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
So Deer Creek treated you well. Very nice. You even got into some of those elusive perch that managed to survive. Sweet.

You say you were fishing by the Island?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wasn't over by the island. West of the 2nd boat launch where you can pull off and hike down the side.
Careful though. Even though the ice is 6", the edge is always weak at deer creek.
First step went though about 3' of water and then i hopped up onto the solid ice. (Just the reason why I wear an old pair of breathable waders under all my snow gear to keep me dry.)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[attachment=2:19ytm13n]perch only.JPG[/attachment:19ytm13n][attachment=1:19ytm13n]both fish.JPG[/attachment:19ytm13n]

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I thought about goin to the party at rockport but I like to catch fish and never do real well when there is a large crowd.
Caught the perch on ice fly with wax. (Little white glow jig head)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts