Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to go to Deer Creek with a buddy from my EMT class. He's from Indiana so it was his first experience ice fishing in Utah. Unfortunately he wasn't able to hook up with any. We chose Deer Creek because I didn't feel like driving far. Believe me it's not my first choice. Ice was plenty thick. Lots of people there too. Fishing was slow. We moved all over using the underwater camera to look around for fish activity. (my fish finder was tweaky so we improvised) Finally found a spot about 25 feet deep west of the "island". Started there at about 9 or so. Fishing picked up at 10 or 11. We left at noon. I was rewarded with 4 rainbows, all caught on little jigs tipped with a waxie and a salmon egg. The first 2 fish were very dark males, one was only 12 inches but was ready to spawn and I let one go, jizzed all over me too. Second biggest fish was dark but not like the other 2. My big fish was a fat and healthy bright silvery female (my guess) that took me for a very good run and measured 16 to 17 inches. No little nibble with that one. It took a small tube jig and ran with it, pulling the tip of my pole in the water before I could grab it. Fought hard for its size. All in all not the best fishing, but I do respect Deer Creek a little more now.

RECIPE: For those of you who might want to know... I never clean my fish, just fillets off the side and put the rest in the trash. I cook them doused in Italian Dressing and sprinkled with Lemon Pepper. Cajun Spice can be good too. Put them on foil so they can simmer and then on the grill. If the grill doesn't have a lid, then put another piece of foil over the top of the fish to hold in some heat. Cook until the meat will flake off the skin and is hot all the way through. Its real easy, and very tasty! Many people who say they hate fish have no problem eating them this way and actually like it. Some (like my wife) will still refuse, but that's their problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOAH said:
Good job finding some worthy fish in DC. It makes me want to try it out.
Like I said, Deer Creek is appealing in that it is close. Some people on occasion are getting into them up there. From the other reports I hear the fishing is never really fast, but its enough to keep you interested and having fun. I think the smaller fish are all part of the 90,000 rainbows or so they stocked late last year, but I saw another big rainbow caught on Saturday near 20 inches. Other people are even getting the occasional walleye while perch fishing.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Those fish look good, i think you triggered my sweet tooth. I might have to go catch one now for the grill. Haven't had some fish in a while. Good job on Deer Creek.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't like to eat trout, but you've got me drooling all over the keyboard! Thanks for the report and the pic's. Keep the wind to your back.

·
Registered
889 Posts
sorry to hijack your report ryancreek, Puddles, FiremanRoot, Bone and myself were there on Sunday too. we got there around eight and fished until 1:30 or so in 24 feet of water iced about 30 between the four of us. It got really cold, as you probably know, especially after I fell flat on my back in 6 inches of water where the Bone had cleared a nice little spot for him to fish!!! Puddles almost only caught the black bows that I naturally attributed to his newly acquired GRILL, check it out.... he says they are only temporary![attachment=0:1emtxixr]grill.jpg[/attachment:1emtxixr]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's funny, and I don't care if you "hi-jack" the post, that's what it's for. Get people talking and reporting success. Great job at Deer Creek!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Have I not taught you guys anything at all.[attachment=0:1038j0jt]fish.jpg[/attachment:1038j0jt] :rotfl:

I kid, because I love.

Nice catch by the way!

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I'm with ya, Improv. Ryan, the way you're handling those fish, I'd be willing to bet money that they didn't make it. You should be ashamed of yourself! :wink: :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts