Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I wasn't going to let that dang storm keep me from fishin on a holiday so I headed up to Deer Creek again to my same place I had fished the previous week and had some decent success.
I think my problem was a brought a friend along to share in my glory. First mistake!
After the hike down to the spot through very deep snow, cleared off an area and HAND drilled 3 holes. (One fir finder) 40', just like the first time. Well I must have missed the spot because nothing was showing up.
After an hour or so of nothing showing on the screen, I moved in shallow like the last time, 24', only to have a bite right away. Well I missed him and made my second mistake. Never let the first one get away! (they go tell their friends where I am and don't come around)
After a couple hours of seein 2 fish on the screen, one of them was unlucky enough to bite my line and get reeled in and had to suffer the consequence of my unlucky trip.
14" fat trout.
[attachment=2:2v3o82a7]With trout.JPG[/attachment:2v3o82a7]
(By the way, eggs in her. I did not know they spawned this early in the year, unless it is one of those planters that they intentionally make steril. I dunno if they do that to the deer creek bows. Anywho after utilizing some of those eggs as attractant, still nothing.
So before we left I decided to try the original holes and as soon as I got to the bottom wammo. I knew it had to be a perch as close to the bottom as I was fishin but it sure did not fight like a perch. I was very surprised by the fight and once I pulled it through the hole it all made sense.
One fat perch!
[attachment=1:2v3o82a7]Pig with hand.JPG[/attachment:2v3o82a7][attachment=0:2v3o82a7]Me holding.JPG[/attachment:2v3o82a7]
After a few other bites we missed, my friend got a bow up to the hole and that was it.
3 fish. 5 hours. But t sure beat bein in the office!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe it was just a little white or glow jig head with meal worm on it. I caught it around 1pm right off the bottom. Had a few other small, felt like perch hits but never hooked em. Nothing special, just gotta get lucky like I was. 40' of water is where it came from.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts