Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it legal to hunt big game in utah? And if so how many bullets can be chambered? I've been thinking of buying one?

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
I think that you have a clip with a capacity under 365. I think the rule is based on the number of days in the year, so on leap year you can go up to 366. Ok, Just kidding, I am fairly certain that there are no restrictions pertaining to your question. Or by asking how many bullets can be chambered, are you referring to a Gatling gun? All of the AR's I have ever seen only have one chamber.

Reactions: bowhunt3r4l1f3

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I meant in the clip

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I thought it was no more than 5 shells, but I can't find anywhere in the guidebook that states that. I'm curious too.

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
Page 30
Prohibited weapons
Utah Code § 23-20-3 and Utah Admin. Rule R657-5-7
You may only use firearms and archery tackle that are expressly permitted in this guide. You may not hunt big game with a firearm that's capable of being fired fully automatic, or with any light-enhancement device or aiming device that casts a visible beam of light. Laser range-finding devices are exempt from this restriction.
I am fairly certain that this is about the only other restriction as long as we are talking about centerfire, lots of muzzleloader restrictions
Rifles and shotguns
Utah Code § 23-20-3 and Utah Admin. Rule R657-5-8
You may use a rifle or shotgun to take big game, but your firearm and ammunition must meet the following requirements:
• Your rifle must fire centerfire cartridges and expanding bullets.
• Your shotgun must be 20 gauge or larger, and you may use only slug ammunition or buckshot that's 00 or larger in size.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I'd do it.

In fact I just might in the near future. I'll have to re-sight it in using heavier grain bullets but it should do the job no problem. I have seen the limitations for elk hunting and allowed guns in Utah for that, it is all based on retained energy (ft.lbs.) So, if you look into it a bit further you'll probably find that there are some requirements regarding energy but not caliber.

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
Well he just said AR, not AR15... so lets go with a nice AR10. Now calibers start at .243 and go all the way up past .338 to .450 Marlin. I dont think anyone here would argue a .243 wont kill a deer... and especially a .338.

So Deer hunting with a AR? YEP! And Elk, Moose, Bison... Brown Bear... just about anything else as well.

-DallanC

·
Registered
24 Posts
The only restrictions on ft/lbs of energy apply to hunting big game with a handgun. The only restrictions to hunting big game with a rifle are that it be a centerfire cartrige with expanding bullets. there is no limit to caliber, ft/lbs of energy, or magazine capacity.

Though, common sence should prevail. You could legally shoot an elk with a .556 from an AR15... it may even kill the elk, its just probably not the best Idea. But for deer, with the right bullet, and a well placed shot, there should be no question.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As for accuracy how are AR's compared to normal rifles ?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
As for accuracy how are AR's compared to normal rifles ?
I think when it comes to AR's you tend to get a lot more stories compared to other rifles. I once had a guy claim that he could shoot MOA at 300 yards using open sights with an AR. Then he went on to boast that he could hit silhouettes at a 1000 yards. One day while out hunting ground squirrels with a buddy we came across him with an open sight AR.

We had him on some 300 yard ground squirrels standing at the mount of a hole.. He fired and they all ducked down. Immediately he boasted about a direct hit but his rounds were the non expanding kind. After locating slightly closer ground squirrels my buddies 22-250 sent the ground squirrels in the air. Then my .204 Ruger found a mount about 150 yards way and they immediately became air borne. One remaining ground squirrel sat on the same mound and we requested he follow up. After he shot we could not even see a cloud of dust or anything in any vicinity of the squirrel. My buddy and I started laughing.

I know that this is a long winded story but after that my buddy took his 2004 Toyota Tacoma (which was brand new at the time) and parked it 1000 yards out and told the guy to empty a magazine on it...I don't remember how many shots he fired but I was sweating bullets for my buddy. Until on the final 3 shots I noticed little plumes of dust about 500 yards out and severely to the right... My buddy must have noticed the plume when he shot at the ground squirrel.

Speaking negatively of Semi Auto rifles has ruined poor Jim Zumbos career but I kind of agree with him. When I am at the shooting range and you got these guys in their tactical gear shooting rounds at 25 yards it is obvious they are not doing it for the purpose of hunting. Why not just hunt with a hunting rifle instead of a military weapon? If we have a Zombie CWD break out and deer and elk come after us I could be eating my own words but until that day I prefer bolt action or single shot rifles with rounds designed for big game.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Ditto to what DallenC said. An AR in a heavier caliber is fine for deer. A .223 round is a bit light and small. Will kill a Deer if you hit it accurately in the head. Stick with an AR with something like a .308 will kill Deer for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Why not just hunt with a hunting rifle instead of a military weapon? If we have a Zombie CWD break out and deer and elk come after us I could be eating my own words but until that day I prefer bolt action or single shot rifles with rounds designed for big game.
First off the AR you go buy in the store here is not a military weapon. Never has been. It is no different than any other semi auto weapon. In fact the main difference between it and a bolt gun is that it loads the next round for you. Most AR's you buy are extremely accurate and capable of shooting MOA. The AR is actually quite popular as a hunting rifle. As for rounds designed for big game, you can get them for an AR also. The AR shoots the same kind of rounds as your bolt gun.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
First off the AR you go buy in the store here is not a military weapon. Never has been. It is no different than any other semi auto weapon. In fact the main difference between it and a bolt gun is that it loads the next round for you. Most AR's you buy are extremely accurate and capable of shooting MOA. The AR is actually quite popular as a hunting rifle. As for rounds designed for big game, you can get them for an AR also. The AR shoots the same kind of rounds as your bolt gun.
The design of an AR is a multi round design for combat use. You said so yourself "it is no different than any other semi auto weapon" The rifles that I own are firearms intended for hunting purposes. I will not argue about the accuracy of the AR's as they are and can be more accurate than many of my own rifles.

I just wish that I could find some rounds for my wifes .308 or .243 those weapons reduce the availability of ammunition for my firearms.

On another note AR-15's would make an amazing weapon to combat Coyotes...

·
Registered
236 Posts
The design of an AR is a multi round design for combat use. You said so yourself "it is no different than any other semi auto weapon" The rifles that I own are firearms intended for hunting purposes. I will not argue about the accuracy of the AR's as they are and can be more accurate than many of my own rifles.

I just wish that I could find some rounds for my wifes .308 or .243 those weapons reduce the availability of ammunition for my firearms.

On another note AR-15's would make an amazing weapon to combat Coyotes...
First of all, an AR platform rifle is no more a weapon than my son's baseball bat. Quit calling a firearm a weapon. A firearm is a firearm.

Nambaster, your logic is a little off kilter. A bolt rifle is designed for combat use too, so quit painting a dark picture about AR's.

Every firearm owner in America had better be accepting of ALL firearms.

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
I own Remington's version of teh AR, R15. It is not nearly as accurate as my bolt action at half of the cost, but my kids really enjoy shooting it, the collapsible stock makes it nice for the smaller kids.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts