Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I hope whomever did this trips, hits their head on a rock, and flies lay eggs in their open wound while they lie suffering. I know that may sound excessive, but scum who are willing to stoop so low do not deserve to breathe the air and have the freedom that so many work so hard for!!

·
Super Moderator
9,666 Posts
Lets look at another senerio.

A hunter comes upon a huge buck that is dead and they can tell that it was shot with a arrow some time in the last couple of days. Now they have no idea of how long it has been laying there but there is no one around, they figure that the meat is now bad but they decide to cape out the head and take the antlers and cape and tag it with their tag.

Could it happen this way?

I am not up on the law of finding a "abandoned" animal during the hunt but the right thing that they should of done is get a GPS location and call the division about it. But not everyone does everything the right way.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Lets look at another senerio.

A hunter comes upon a huge buck that is dead and they can tell that it was shot with a arrow some time in the last couple of days. Now they have no idea of how long it has been laying there but there is no one around, they figure that the meat is now bad but they decide to cape out the head and take the antlers and cape and tag it with their tag.

Could it happen this way?

I am not up on the law of finding a "abandoned" animal during the hunt but the right thing that they should of done is get a GPS location and call the division about it. But not everyone does everything the right way.
Benefit of the doubt, maybe, but the carcass would stay warm enough through the night that most folks would know it was just killed. At least that is what deductive reasoning would tell most HONEST hunters.

·
Super Moderator
9,666 Posts
Benefit of the doubt, maybe, but the carcass would stay warm enough through the night that most folks would know it was just killed. At least that is what deductive reasoning would tell most HONEST hunters.
It still being relative warm depends on just where it was shot at.
Riger would of set in if the deer had been dead over night, and who packs a thermometer to see how warm the carcass is?

I read the story but when you read someones story you may not get all the facts of actually what happened. The only way to know that is to be there.

How would it of been if the other hunters found the deer, cleaned it, tagged it and packed it out before the hunter that shot it showed up only to find a gut pile?

I did that when I first started bow hunting and I was the one that shot the buck. I talked to the hunters that found him a couple of days later and all I did was ask if I could get my arrow back.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Judas flipping priest mr 30-06, kind of being harsh aren't you. You read a Facebook article from an unknown source on the Internet with no other facts or information and you want to draw and quarter the 'offender'. Why don't you take a deep breath and use some common sense and restraint before gathering the torches and pitchforks.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Riger would of set in if the deer had been dead over night, and who packs a thermometer to see how warm the carcass is?

I read the story but when you read someones story you may not get all the facts of actually what happened. The only way to know that is to be there.

How would it of been if the other hunters found the deer, cleaned it, tagged it and packed it out before the hunter that shot it showed up only to find a gut pile?

I did that when I first started bow hunting and I was the one that shot the buck. I talked to the hunters that found him a couple of days later and all I did was ask if I could get my arrow back.
For crying out loud it's WOULD HAVE or WOULD'VE, not WOULD OF, got it? This would make posts much easier to tolerate.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
I could never cape out and take a buck/bull I didn't kill that I just happened to find in the field. It's one thing to find a dead head and go through the process of making it your own. But to stumble upon a recently killed buck and take the cape and head?

That said, there seems to be some holes in the story. Stuff that doesn't entirely add up here.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Judas flipping priest mr 30-06, kind of being harsh aren't you. You read a Facebook article from an unknown source on the Internet with no other facts or information and you want to draw and quarter the 'offender'. Why don't you take a deep breath and use some common sense and restraint before gathering the torches and pitchforks.
Sorry if I wasn't raised to be a pacifist and prefer to hold people responsible for their actions. Part of the problem with people who do such things is that someone failed to teach or correct them in the past and this is how they turned out, another part of the problem is we need stricter penalties as a consequence.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
We had almost the same thing during my Grandsons first Archery Hunt. West of Richfield. , First shot opening morning. Big Wide Non Typical, Excellent shot.He was 15 yrs old. So he waited about an hour and came back to camp and waited until his Dad,, Me his Grandpa and his Uncle got back. We went out and looked until dark found blood, but no Buck.We continued the next day. No Buck.My Grandson was sick. Spent 3 days looking. It's like he The Buck had Vanished..2 Weeks later a friend I had told about what happened called me,he said his neighbor in Tooele told him about a huge Non Typical Buck in the same canyon. that he had helped a young guy field dress and load on to his 4 wheeler. said he bumped into this kid roaming around said he had shot a small 2 point but couldn't find him., The guy from Tooele told him he had seen a Buck crash and fell below him in a thicket of Oak. So they went down the mountain . found the Buck. the kid said thats him, he looked like a 2 point when he arrowed him that morning. BS on that. The kid was from Payson. I searched meat lockers.. Taxidemist shops everywhere in the State. By phone and just dropping in. A kid with a Trophy Buck you think would be on the Boast! I found nothing. Went to the mule deer foundation and publishing companys who did wildlife stories. looking for pictures. my grand son had that Buck face to face and had watched him for sometime. so he knew him like and old girl friend.. Well his 24 years old now. never found that Buck. someone knows about it. He never forgot that Buck. and was going to give up hunting,Happy to say he's still at it,
I wish you the best in your search.. Lotsa knuckle heads out there..Toss Ethics out the door on a few.. It's just Chicken S*** would people will do!!

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Sorry if this has been brought up but was the deer tagged? I've just skimmed through the post so if it has been said my bad.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Sorry if I wasn't raised to be a pacifist and prefer to hold people responsible for their actions. Part of the problem with people who do such things is that someone failed to teach or correct them in the past and this is how they turned out, another part of the problem is we need stricter penalties as a consequence.
Ond is left to ask who failed to reach you or hold you accountable? Integrity goes a long ways on all fronts. Just sayin...hypothetically.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I don't know how someone can tag an animal they know they haven't killed...... There would've been a bunch of different things that could be done to find the person who shot it.. Get on social media and have them describe the area, which way the deer went etc.... If that doesn't work, at the very least contact the division and try and get the head that way if an animal head that doesn't belong to you is that important... Which sadly people will do anything for a nice animal at their house or atta boy pics they can show people.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
i couldnt find any personal satisfaction in taggin a found deer with and leaving the meat. i have heard much worse cut and dry tales of game theiving. i wouldnt want to spend my tag on someone else's kill especially since there is plenty of time to fill a tag. hopefully the thief at least slapped their tag on it. that would be the only redeeming factor, as mind boggling as it is for me to comprehend putting my tag on a buck i found dead. i imagine if he'd asked around there might have been more than one person claiming it was theirs, but i might be a bit jaded. i cant respect it but i have heard much worse as far people stealing game. im really sorry for this guy's dad though. the frustration and disappointment would be unimaginable.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
i couldnt find any personal satisfaction in taggin a found deer with and leaving the meat. i have heard much worse cut and dry tales of game theiving. i wouldnt want to spend my tag on someone else's kill especially since there is plenty of time to fill a tag. hopefully the thief at least slapped their tag on it. that would be the only redeeming factor, as mind boggling as it is for me to comprehend putting my tag on a buck i found dead. i imagine if he'd asked around there might have been more than one person claiming it was theirs, but i might be a bit jaded. i cant respect it but i have heard much worse as far people stealing game. im really sorry for this guy's dad though. the frustration and disappointment would be unimaginable.
Wasn't there someone who had a head/cape taken from their yard or garage a year or two back?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
i recall someone posting pics a year or two ago of a rotten cow head someone left hanging in place of the deer that had been hanging in their camp.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Was Cody Jones and his dad able to recover the meat?
Or was it spoiled when they finally found the carcass?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts

For crying out loud it's WOULD HAVE or WOULD'VE, not WOULD OF, got it? This would make posts much easier to tolerate.
Kind of a nitpicky thing to cause a post to be difficult to tolerate.

I hope whomever did this trips, hits their head on a rock, and flies lay eggs in their open wound while they lie suffering. I know that may sound excessive, but scum who are willing to stoop so low do not deserve to breathe the air and have the freedom that so many work so hard for!!
For crying out loud let's all pass judgement on a couple of unknown people, call them scum, and wish them bodily harm based on another persons internet rant that was written, objectively and honestly I'm sure, while still emotionally charged up.

As has been stated, some things just don't add up for me to believe things went down exactly as stated. Enough so that I'd hold off on the pitch forks and torches. At any rate, I hope the hunters got the meat out without too much being ruined. I also hope the authorities can figure out what happened so the hunter can get his trophy back. But, if I were him, I wouldn't hold my breath; which is sad.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts