Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been up lately? I'm headed up next week and was wondering if the conditions are any better Than late November?

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
I was scheduled to go on Dec. 10th. They called and told me they didn't have any elk in at the time, and rescheduled me for January. That was before these last two major storms, and of course we have another coming through tonight. Give them a ring and see whats up before you drive up there.

·
Administrator
21,449 Posts
I was out around the Home Ranch for the Christmas Bird Count Sunday. There's 3" to 6" out on the sagebrush flats, a few nice bulls, didn't see any cows.
Yesterday I was lion hunting close to the ranch's west side and there's a good amount of snow, knee deep in places. All of the vegetation is still snow-covered. Tough to walk around and not get wet. There are elk and deer tracks everywhere; time for some new snow.

·
Registered
580 Posts
We hunted there today the 19th and had a ball the roads were really snowpacked and we did have to get unstuck a couple of times but the amounts of elk we saw more than made up for it. you should have a good hunt but shot straight we spent almost half a day trying to help a fellow follow up on a cripple also be extemely carefull of the smaller bulls in these herds. and above all listen to the guides advise and help, they are a great bunch of guys and they really want you to harvest a elk.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
12/27/07 We finally filled our tag's! Two cow's and one yearling. -15 degree's _(O)_ at the check station this morning at 6:30 am. Had a good time...but they sure run the animal's hard! :shock: I persoally think the need to do more set up and stalk hunt's. :?

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
I'm heading up to DLL tomorrow (1/10). Any latest reports or thoughts?

·
Registered
585 Posts
The snow is really getting DEEP.........should be easy pickins......

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
I've never seen so many elk in all my life. The number of huge bulls astounded me. Herds of 30-50 bulls - all 6 point or better. We watched one old fellow - 7x8 and the size of a horse, moving through the snow from 50 yards away. In all, I bet I saw close to 2,000 elk. All that said, I got off two bad shots at a single running yearling cow at about 300 yards. We couldn't get closer than 1/4 mile to the cows, and certainly couldn't get a clear shot at any of them. The problem, and I hate saying this, was too many elk. 100 yards from a herd of 500 head, and you can't shoot. It was a treat to say the least though - just to see that. A total sea of antlers moving along a ridge from 100 yards away. It was nothing short of amazing. I'm heading back up next Monday and hope we can find a cow willing to sit on the fringes of a group not surrounded by a bunch of bulls. We'll see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
I made it up there yesterday - the last day - for the hunt. There were a total of four hunters, and all of us got an elk, the last one going down by about 12:30. It was a good day. Lots of elk. The groups were more combined - bulls and cows together - and smaller than last time - no mega-herds. It was a good day. I ended up taking a small one - broke a front leg with first shot and second shot in the head so no meat ruined, and I got it before they had a chance to run so I hope it will be good.

I gotta say - the DLL cow hunt is quite an experience. I was telling a buddy this morning that if you are a hard core, dress up and sneak around in the woods kind of hunter, you probably wouldn't like this, or would at least be disappointed in it. But take it for what it is, and put other perceptions aside, and its a good time. I'm glad I went, and I'll put in again for the tag.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts