Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After putting for 5 years I finally drew a Utah Doe pronghorn tag. I had drew the Deseret CWMU hunt. Not a very eventful hunt. I drove around until I found a herd that wasn't spooked and close to the road. I have always had the belief that the closer the animal is to the road the better it tastes. She was about 100 yards and stood broadside. The 6.8 120 SST hit perfect taking out both lungs. She walked off about 20 yards and then dumped. had a pretty nice exit wound. Skinned and deboned her and threw her in the cooler. I was home by noon(hunt area was 1 1/2 hours away). I love hunting with my 6.8 spc. This is second animal that I have harvested and hope to have more in the future.

EXit wound.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where did you find them? My 15 year-old has a tag there and we are headed out on Friday.
south of the lake. I saw 2 other herds but they either spooked or were farther out than I wanted to shoot. When I checked out at 1030 he said that their was 7 other parties that were ahead of me to check out. so they must not be that hard to find.

They will give you a map. but I found it pretty worthless. best I could figure out was I shot her south of alkali rd on their map.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I drew that tag this year also with 5 points. I have been hunting so much, I decided to turn in my tag and wait until another year. Looks like I should have kept it since it may not have taken that much time. Either way it looks like you had a nice hunt!

·
Registered
834 Posts
I've done that hunt twice in 20 years. So far the longest one took about 3 hours. from the time I checked in at the gate until the time I checked the animal with their game manager. It's not a real hard hunt, and they want the animals harvested.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Do you have to pay for acces to the CWMU or how does it work up there? I know there is a guide service that does that unit but can a guy just walk on?

·
Super Moderator
3,396 Posts
Do you have to pay for acces to the CWMU or how does it work up there? I know there is a guide service that does that unit but can a guy just walk on?
If you draw the Deseret CWMU tag, you have access to the property at no additional charge. You can decide to hire a guide for $300 a day (I think) or get a map from the check station and go out on your own. I also had a doe antelope tag on Deseret this year and it took about an hour to fill it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you draw the Deseret CWMU tag, you have access to the property at no additional charge. You can decided to hire a guide for $300 a day (I think) or get a map from the check station and go out on your own. I also had a doe antelope tag on Deseret this year and it took about an hour to fill it.
Awesome thanks for the info I have been wanting to start putting in for antelope and needed a direction to head in

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 15 year-old shot his last night. Down by Crane Lake. Took about an hour after getting out of the truck to find one to shoot. Turns out he shot the biggest one to come out yet this year according to Ty Land. She had over 2" horns. She was a big old girl. I'll post a pic later when my son sends me his pictures.
This is the 5th doe pronghorn I have been involved with at Deseret. It's a great hunt for those who want a good experience and/or meat. Cheap and you do the hunt yourself.
What I'm really hoping for is a Buck Pronghorn on Deseret. We have seen some monsters there over the years.

·
Bjorne Lou Tsar
3,340 Posts
2" horns on your son's antelope?? Perfect! I had a jackalope with some doe antelope horns on it and it looked pretty cool.
Congrats to your son and to you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts