Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that there is a big die off happening right now with the Stansbury California Bighorn sheep herd.:cry:
Looks like they may have contracted a virus or pneumonia.
I heard that some deer hunters saw a young ram with a domestic sheep on the range last fall.
This news sure breaks my heart!
Most likely, we will see tags cut or the unit shut down all together.

·
Registered
346 Posts
That is terrible news. I saw a few while scouting for deer last year and it was an amazing experience! Especially so close to my house.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
What a shame. :x Two questions:

1. What was a domestic sheep doing there???

2. If there are no tags offered for the 2016 season, do the hunters who applied there get an opportunity to apply somewhere else?

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

2. If there are no tags offered for the 2016 season, do the hunters who applied there get an opportunity to apply somewhere else?
The domestic could have come the cedar mnt. range to the West.
My guess would the DWR would give (1) tag this year and look at things for next year.
Not all the sheep will die from this but more than 50% could be effected.
On Mike's hunt this year, we were seeing very few mature rams and lambs. Which are usually the first to die off. So I'm guessing this may having been happening for about a year now.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Yes, I've been hearing the same news. In fact, during a class I was teaching for work this past Friday, one of the students said a friend of his has found 9 dead rams so far. This is horrible news, and if I remember correctly, the Goslin herd by Flaming Gorge had to be completely destroyed to make sure the virus was completely eradicated before building the herd up again.

Sure wish we would have seen that domestic sheep last fall. When I spoke to the biologist prior to the hunt, he mentioned the issue with a request to report the sheep if we found it. Unfortunately, intel on that range maggot was that it was further south on the Stansbury range from where we were concentrating our efforts.

And before I rile up any domestic sheep producers, I have nothing against those operations. Just wish we could keep them out of areas where there are wild sheep. They are devastating to bighorns!

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Last week I heard the Nine Mile sheep herd may have the same problem....

NOT good..:!:

·
Registered
56 Posts

My dad applied for the Goslin mountain sheep hunt the year they shut that hunt down. He was notified by the DWR and was able to amend his hunt choice to a different unit. I would imagine those who applied for this hunt will get the same opportunity if no stansbury permits are offered.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
The amount of time/effort and money put into these projects, its such a shame some wayward domestic sheep can have this effect. Can't the sheep ranchers be held accountable (as in damages to the BHS herd) for domestic sheep who get wayward and off there grazing allotments?

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
The amount of time/effort and money put into these projects, its such a shame some wayward domestic sheep can have this effect. Can't the sheep ranchers be held accountable (as in damages to the BHS herd) for domestic sheep who get wayward and off there grazing allotments?
They absolutely should be held accountable! It's ridiculous.

I'm not going to be as diplomatic for domestic sheep herd---keep them out of friggin places they aren't supposed to be! There should be a mandatory kill on sight provision for those mountain maggots when they are off their allotment. They are no different than pike in Utah Lake. If anything, they are a lot worse.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Took a hike yesterday. These were found in one canyon. We know where there's a bunch more. Not looking good for this herd. Same thing happened in the Ruby Mountains , wiped out the entire herd
Wes

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Here's a lovely hypothetical: sporting groups buy out all domestic sheep operations in the state and then the legislature enacts a ban on raising sheep within XX miles of bighorn habitat (public or private ground). A quick Google search shows the Utah sheep herd estimates at 290k, and a yearly industry of about $20 million. I think this would be an awesome goal to get SFW, MDF, RMEF, FNAWS etc motivated to achieve. Just start at one state and move on through to the others. It's a pipe dream no doubt, but hey, we can hope. I know Alaska is trying to require really stringent fencing and state of the art containment systems for any sheep or goat operation within 15 miles of Dall Sheep habitat---and they've never had an outbreak of pneumonia. If they can do it, surely we can figure something out.

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
Yes. Let's end an entire industry in the state because it gets in the way of our fun. And people on here say ranchers feel/act entitled....

I've never raised sheep in my life, and I'm all about conservation, but the above idea is about the worst I've read. Let's leep a little perspective

·
Registered
10,050 Posts
Yes. Let's end an entire industry in the state because it gets in the way of our fun. And people on here say ranchers feel/act entitled....

I've never raised sheep in my life, and I'm all about conservation, but the above idea is about the worst I've read. Let's leep a little perspective
Yea I agree, especially when the first reference to domestic sheep in this thread is "I heard some guys saw a sheep..." no proof. Yet here we go with the pitch forks and knee-jerk policy changes.

Look, bighorns are NEAT animals, MAJESTIC... but frankly they are one of the weakest big game species in America. They simply are susceptible to too many things that can kill them. DWR blows insane money trying to keep these herds established, when they just die off too quickly (anyone remember how long the first AF Canyon bighorns lasted? 3 weeks? Cougars had a hayday eating them. DWR blew hundreds of thousands to bring htem in, they turn into cougar crap... DWR brings in houndsman and killed 30 (I think it was) in a several mile section... THEN transplanted in even more, for more hundreds of thousands of dollars).

Just dont get it. Honestly we should breed up some more disease resistant big horns and transplant those... cuz what we have now is hard to justify when the entire herds wipe repeatedly.

-DallanC

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
DNR should go collect the deadheads and auction them off. Anything related to sheep is big $$$. Hence the reason why they get so much attention.-------SS

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I disagree, we do it all the time in this country to preserve, conserve and restore various wildlife. Destroy an industry? My hypo would actual compensate them, but I understand there is a lifestyle there. There are far less "useful"/" valuable " animals that have destroyed far larger industries in this country. The Delta smelt, fairy shrimp, and a species of snail darter all come to mind and all without compensation systems for the damaged industries. Why should an industry that is scientifically shown to be the primary culprit for the collapse of an iconic big game species across the west be allowed to continue benefiting from public lands? Pioneer accounts claim bands of hundreds of wild sheep roamed all over this state, but within 50 years they were almost extinct. That there were millions of sheep being raised all over the state, well let's just ignore that. When BP blew the Macondo well, they had to pay out over a billion in industry compensation and ecological recovery. We forced many industrial manufacturing industries to close because they were causing rivers to spontaneously combust.

So, when numerous studies show that a single contact between domestic and wild sheep has an overwhelming rate of mortality for the wild sheep, why would we allow the invasive domestic species to continue causing a situation that is like unto rivers self combusting?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I'm not sure if it's been studied but contact between humans and large wild sheep rams usually ends poorly for the sheep.

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
I'm not sure if it's been studied but contact between humans and large wild sheep rams usually ends poorly for the sheep.
YES!! i mean lets be real. anger can be shown because we care about conservation. but a lot of this anger is getting mad because domestic sheep interaction may or may not kill sheep, preventing hunters from being able to... kill sheep.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
YES!! i mean lets be real. anger can be shown because we care about conservation. but a lot of this anger is getting mad because domestic sheep interaction may or may not kill sheep, preventing hunters from being able to... kill sheep.
Meh, I'll most likely never kill a sheep in Utah. I still want them around, though (I just headed to Antelope Island yesterday for the sake of watching some through the spotting scope). Buying out the entire sheep ranching industry may not be a realistic option to pursue, but keeping domestic sheep away from bighorn sheep habitat is a realistic option and a worthy goal IMO.

1 - 20 of 211 Posts