Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Range day on Sunday morning left me with these three targets.

These are all from slightly different loads out of the same rifle. All used FED 215 primers out of my X-Bolt 7RM, full length sized brass, none showed abnormal pressure signs.

Center target was 63 grains of IMR 4831 (book max) under 160gr. Partitions loaded to the book length of 3.29.
Left and right were 160gr Accubonds over RL-22 (I realize I wrote RL-19 on the targets) One was 59gr the other was 61gr charge (book max is 63 I think). All were loaded to the 3.29 OAL

So, where do I go from here? You think this can be dialed in further or should I just leave well enough alone? If it can be better, then where do you suggest I look for tweaks to make?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, these were the last sets of 5 out of a total of 20 shots fired. I let it cool as long as I could between sessions.

There were 5 of us shooting and taking turns off the same bench (range was packed!) so it had a fair amount of time to cool between groups. I didn't clean it at all at the range and only dry swabbed it when I got home so as to not remove all of the fouling. I used to clean the barrel until it sparkled but have since given that up.

I was shooting off of a cheap plastic predator bench rest @ 100yds.

·
Bjorne Lou Tsar
3,341 Posts
That's pretty good already for a hunting gun. If you wanted to squeeze a bit more out of it, I'd try changing your OAL and see if your groups come together any more. You already have a good load that you can go back to if things don't improve. Nice work!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Looks plenty good to me for a hunting rifle- I agree with longbow, I'd adjust the seating depth a little each way and see if that makes any improvement.

Not totally sure if I'm sold on this or not (it's all I've done and I've had great results), but you could also try neck sizing the brass instead of FL sizing. I feel like it's helped my rounds stay more consistent, but it could all just be in my head :grin:

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Good nuff. You will probably spend a LOT of money, time, and headaches to try to make a minuscule amount of improvement. For a hunting load in 7 RM, that is a winner in my book.------SS

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely not changing anything prior to the elk hunt, and likely not even afterwards from what I'm hearing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts