Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Product report. I have owned a Dillon 550B for about 12-14 years. It has been set up to load only .45 acp. (Not Long Colt :roll: ) (I'm waiting.45 :lol: ). For those of you that are not familiar with this product , it is a progressive loader that easly loads aout 300-400 rounds in an hour. I recently had the primers flip over during the primer seating and load in upside down. I sent them an email and their response was "what is your address the upgrade will be in the mail". I have never had to contact them before but they have what they call "a NO BS WARRANTY".
So it is absolutely true. That is what I call great customer service. I will recommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I lost - my own fault - the little brass locater buttons for one of my calibers. Called Dillon to order another set, and Dillon sent them to me FREE - no charge at all.
I load .222, .223, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP on mine.
My RL550b has been one of the best investments I have ever made. Nice thing about that model is that you can virtually use it like a single-stage press if you wanted to.
I don't load as fast as you, but fast enough :D

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I have been wanting a progressive reloading press and I have been looking at the 550b, the No BS warranty sounds good. How do the cablier conversion kits work for you guys that use them? I would like to start loading .45ACP, .38, and 9mm to began with and move on to high powered rifle loads at a later date.

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
Al Hansen said:
Product report. I have owned a Dillon 550B for about 12-14 years. It has been set up to load only .45 acp. (Not Long Colt :roll: ) (I'm waiting.45 :lol: ). For those of you that are not familiar with this product , it is a progressive loader that easly loads aout 300-400 rounds in an hour. I recently had the primers flip over during the primer seating and load in upside down. I sent them an email and their response was "what is your address the upgrade will be in the mail". I have never had to contact them before but they have what they call "a NO BS WARRANTY".
So it is absolutely true. That is what I call great customer service. I will recommend them to anyone.
That's one heck of a warranty !! I like company's like that !!! :)

I think you're primer's were rolling over, saying:....dont put me in that little casing again !!

Try some larger casing's next time!! _(O)_

Jeez....AL !!!!! :D :D

·
Registered
642 Posts
The caliber conversion consists of a shellplate that fits the appropriate cartridge base and locater pins to hold the case in the press. There is also the funnel that fits in the powder measure for the specific cartridge. Because the .45 ACP is the same size as the .30-06/.270/.243 you can use the same shellplate and pins. Same for .38/.357 and .223/.204 Ruger etc.

I also buy a separate toolhead ($9.50 ea) for each caliber and have my dies for each caliber in the toolhead set up, adjusted, and ready to roll. If you have the money, a separate powder measure for each caliber/toolhead is really deluxe - all set up to drop your chosen powder charge for that particular caliber. You can also get this setup with the toolhead and powder measure and powder die + stand for $89.95 (Deluxe Quick Change Assembly). You still need to buy the caliber conversion kits for each caliber though ($40.95).

I just change out the shellplate and pins, then pull 2 pins and remove the toolhead and replace it with a new toolhead with the caliber I wish to load for all set up already. If you change primer sizes, you will have to change that part too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Gotta agree about their customer service. I purchased an SL900 shotshell reloader on e-bay. It looked brand new when I received it. After loading just a few boxes of shells, I noticed that the shell holder top-plate was cracking. I called and asked to order a new part, and the gentleman at Dillon said "We had an issue with heat-treating on those, and we will send you a new one free of charge". I told him that I had purchased it used, and he said "that's okay, our warranty is on the reloader, and you own it now." If you buy "spare parts" to have on hand, they will charge you for them, but if you buy a replacement part for one that is broken, they send them free of charge.
As an aside, I thought they could have improved a couple of functions on the loader, and when a good buy came along for a multi-gauge Spolar, I bought that, and sold the Dillon.
I have heard nothing but praise about their rifle/pistol loaders.
Great Warranty for sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts