Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you take your dog when hunting in the Great Salt Lake? I can't imagine he'd like the salt water in his eyes or nose. And then I'd probably have to wash him immediately afterwards. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Normally it doesn't bother my dog, but I heard a news report on Avian flu, and after hearing that I wouldn't take my dog out there around those dead ducks.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Its actually avian cholera thats out there... my dog has been out there maybe 7-10 times with me... no issues. The dog doesn't care about the water. They shake off and it doesn't see to run in their eyes and that very much... whatever does, doesn't seem to bother my boy. I usually take a bottle of water for him and if he starts acting thirsty, thats what I give him so he doesn't drink the salt water. Honestly, he's never made an attempt to drink the water out there on purpose so I haven't worried much about it. If you have a good handle on your dog discipline wise, then him picking up birds you haven't sent him for won't be much of an issue either. My dog smelled em, but when he's told "leave it" he started just ignoring them. Take your dog... its a good place to just let your dog run free and get some exercise on the big salt flats and marshy beaches... they'll have a good time.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
You know.... I never have. I'd actually never thought about that. I suppose it could cause some sort of skin irritation with the skin drying out because of the salt huh? He's never had much dandruffy kind of stuff in his fur and it doesn't seem to bother him much with scratching and all that so I guess it really hasn't been an issue. That is a good idea though... I have noticed his pads on his feet are really dry and smooth after running on the sand and in the salt water out there.... and wondered if that was from working in that environment in the lake or just because he's running outside so much... don't know. :|

1 - 6 of 6 Posts