Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I did not draw any tags yet this year. I still have Nevada, I only started applying again this year. I doubt I will draw an antelope tag with 0 points. So that leaves me with the antlerless and the spike hunt. I currently have 1 point for antlerless elk and 2 for doe pronghorn. Im hoping for the elk but I want to apply for both in case I am unsuccessful. My question is about the plateau unit. Anyone have any general info about this hunt? Experiences?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looking through old posts all I can seem to find is that the herd is/was not doing well. Seeing the 600 doe tags they are giving out this year, i'm assuming its doing better?

·
Registered
153 Posts
A fun hunt plenty of goats if they don't change season dates you can hunt both elk and antelope at the same time it is by far the funniest hint I do if you draw holler at me I have hunted that unit almost every year with friend or myself for about eight years and spend a lot of time down there

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
It's crowded. If you can either use the crowds to your advantage (know where the antelope go when they are pushed) or avoid the crowds, you'll probably do fine. You'll definitely see some animals, but by the time the doe hunt comes around, they'll be very skittish. They'll probably start running as soon as they see your truck slow down. If you are prepared to make a 400+ yard shot, you shouldn't have a problem. If you want them closer, it may take more effort. No matter the outcome, it's a fun hunt.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well, I did not draw any tags yet this year. I still have Nevada, I only started applying again this year. I doubt I will draw an antelope tag with 0 points. So that leaves me with the antlerless and the spike hunt. I currently have 1 point for antlerless elk and 2 for doe pronghorn. Im hoping for the elk but I want to apply for both in case I am unsuccessful. My question is about the plateau unit. Anyone have any general info about this hunt? Experiences?
I pulled a doe tag on plateau last year with 0 points, first time applying for anterless. I hunted three days and saw antelope every single day. Most were in herds or groups of 15-20. The only reason it took me three days is I was trying to get one with a bow, after crawling in the dirt for two days I finally used the rifle on what was at best a 100 yard shot. Every morning I was up at 3:30 or so and on the top of a hill long before sunrise and would see the animals moving around, at around 7:00 or so you'd start to see 4wheelers and trucks finally driving around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts