Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys think they’ll open up more units next year? I’ve got 3 points that are burning a hole in my pocket.

·
Registered
389 Posts
They probably will but even if they don’t, just look at the draw odds and find one you can draw with 3 points.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of course! Why wouldn't they shoot does when the population is struggling. That's what the DWR is famous for!
From what I've seen it's the buck to doe ratio that's off, doe numbers seem fine to me. Over the weekend, Out at my grandpas there was about 72 deer in total, out of the 72 there was only two bucks. Never seen that before

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Well killing all those does will get that pesky buck / doe ratio back in line for sure. (sarcasm)

Not sure when or where you observed this but seeing that many doe in one place can't be anything but good unless they are starving to death.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well killing all those does will get that pesky buck / doe ratio back in line for sure. (sarcasm)

Not sure when or where you observed this but seeing that many doe in one place can't be anything but good unless they are starving to death.
Yeah cause that's what I'm suggesting. (Sarcasm)

It was Sunday, southern Utah. Don't really wish to give specifics on location and I know it's only anecdotal but still. All of them were healthy as can be.
Saturday, I'm southern

·
Super Moderator
9,415 Posts
A couple of years ago we were camped near a hay field in south central Utah a couple of days before the general deer season started.

The next morning I got up and went out of the camper and saw over 300 deer feeding in that field. I got the binoculars and spotter out and I couldn't find a single buck larger than a spike in that whole herd.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A couple of years ago we were camped near a hay field in south central Utah a couple of days before the general deer season started.

The next morning I got up and went out of the camper and saw over 300 deer feeding in that field. I got the binoculars and spotter out and I couldn't find a single buck larger than a spike in that whole herd.
You must have been by my grandpas!

I've hunted that area my entire life and I can say it isn't what it used to be.. I used to go out and see 20+ bucks through the season, now it's a good season if I see half that and I definitely put in the work. I get into quality bucks still (quality to me) just not as many smaller ones.

·
Registered
303 Posts

There is a whitetail food plot guru named Jeff Sturgis. I follow him on youtube a bit. He calls that scenario a doe factory. Bucks have been spooked out by hunting or something else. They go nocturnal. The does keep coming in daylight hours. A neighbor kills the big bucks a mile away while the one who feeds just sees does and yearlings. He's always saying if you have a food plot, don't spook it. He typically hunts the trails in between the beds and the food. If he kills them on the food plot he does it in a way that they are not spooked. He doesn't just blast them and blaze on out into the field to collect his prize. I've killed my two best bucks in the past 3 years based on this principle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts