Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like a lot of us on here have doe tags this year, including some seasons that open tomorrow. I thought it might be fun to have a thread where we can discuss them and share in our successes. Whether doe deer or doe pronghorn, in Utah or elsewhere, post them up!

I've been having fun getting out into the mountains and scouting for my hunt, which opens August 1. Here are a few crappy cell phone photos I've taken while out and about. Hopefully I don't get roasted for hot-spotting... some of you may recognize the location of the doe in the picture. I think she might be in trouble when the season opens.

Good luck to everyone! I can't believe the 2022 - 2023 big game season is upon us.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't have doe tags here in UT, but I have a buck and doe tag in WY and my son has a doe tag in the same unit. We are headed up there the first week of September to get things kicked off. Are you planning on being out there tomorrow or are you planning on waiting a little bit into the season?

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have doe tags here in UT, but I have a buck and doe tag in WY and my son has a doe tag in the same unit. We are headed up there the first week of September to get things kicked off. Are you planning on being out there tomorrow or are you planning on waiting a little bit into the season?
I'll be taking one or two novice hunters with me, and Saturday is what works for all of us. We'll kick things off on the 6th. Hopefully it will be a good intro for them.

I'm lucky to have a season about 6 weeks long, so I'm not feeling too rushed.

Reactions: Wire

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If you were having trouble finding a dry doe, that sure sounds like you were ignoring fawns.
View attachment 152826
I saw 1 doe with fawns on public that I could have shot… however, I-15 was directly behind them and I didn’t feel like trying to time it just right to dodge traffic this morning. Piles and piles of bucks on public. All the does were in the fields. I was headed back to town to start banging on doors when this one ran across the road and stopped at 200 yards.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Was trying to post a video but can’t, shot a doe at 7am this morning, didn’t have any fawns, she was actually with another dry doe.

had a dumb buck walk up to me in the dark, to within 6 yards! I was blasting him in the eyes with my headlamp
Different kind of deer in the headlight moment...a deer in the headlamp

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
I saw 1 doe with fawns on public that I could have shot… however, I-15 was directly behind them and I didn’t feel like trying to time it just right to dodge traffic this morning. Piles and piles of bucks on public. All the does were in the fields. I was headed back to town to start banging on doors when this one ran across the road and stopped at 200 yards.
I'll accept your justification. This time.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
My 13 year old has the Settlement Canyon archery doe tag. Hopefully we’ll have a success story to share in a month or so. 🤞
Watch those fields just before the toll booth. Usually quite a few hitting those just before dark and leave right at light. That oak brush hillside to the south is where they run to, then stop. Go slow and pick it apart. You’ll find one there

·
Administrator
8,253 Posts
I have a general season buck for Central Mtns and haven’t had time to scout this year due to a new job. This’ll be fun….

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Watch those fields just before the toll booth. Usually quite a few hitting those just before dark and leave right at light. That oak brush hillside to the south is where they run to, then stop. Go slow and pick it apart. You’ll find one there
Thanks for the tip! I just checked the boundaries, and the south side of the road isn’t in the boundary for this hunt. They’ll have to cross the road though if they water at the reservoir.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts