Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I failed to draw a buck deer tag and do not have good odds of drawing an elk tag this year, I think I may try doe pronghorn for the first time. I have been building up points for a few years and I believe I am up to 3 points, which should give me decent odds at drawing.

I don't have any close friends that hunt pronghorn and have never tagged along on a pronghorn hunt either. It's likely that the pronghorn hunt will be done solo. I live in the northern part of the state, and I have family that live in the Richfield area that I can stay with, but I am also not opposed to setting up camp.

For a pronghorn first timer doing it alone, what area would you recommend?

While I do believe actual hunting experience trumps reading about it, I'm not opposed to books on the subject. Any that you've read and can recommend?

Any general advice and tips are always welcome.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
If you're thinking of the plateau hunt, there are lots of really cool places to camp. Some of the other units like aren't as good for camping. Play your cards right and there might not be a need to camp. I've done one day hunts on the San Rafael, Plateau, and Milford hunts.--SS

·
Registered
469 Posts
The cache/rich unit can be a good one, but it has been pretty shot out over the last few years. I would be more than happy to give you some spots to go if you draw that unit. I have been hunting it for over 20 years, and have had some really good success. Good luck, and welcome to the addiction that is antelope hunting. It's on of my very favorite hunts every year.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
A few thoughts,

SW desert is out------No doe permits.

Plateau will be busy with 600 permits. Zero points should pull this permit...
Cold camping around Thanksgiving--------Late opener, 11-16.

3 points should pull the 2nd doe hunt on Cache----10-3 opener---better camping.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Let me know if you draw I'll be happy to help you out with hunting doe antelope how to care for them right and all that stuff if you draw the plateau unit I can help you out there as well

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So to sum up so far.

Recommendation for SW desert - but no doe permits for it this year.
Recommendation for Cache/Rich - But also potentially been overhunted and would need private land access
Recommendation for Platuea - But will likely by crowded and could potentially draw with 0 points, thus wasting the points I accrued.

Seems like I picked a bad year to start pronghorn hunting! ;-)

I do appreciate the feedback and welcome anymore that people may have.

Thanks.

·
Banned
55 Posts
A few thoughts,

SW desert is out------No doe permits.

Plateau will be busy with 600 permits. Zero points should pull this permit...
Cold camping around Thanksgiving--------Late opener, 11-16.

3 points should pull the 2nd doe hunt on Cache----10-3 opener---better camping.
Umm... I'm 100% sure I applied for a SW desert doe pronghorn permit just the other day. Season opens August first...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess the draw has opened, so I could check for myself what is available and what isn't. :-?

Cache/Morgan - South Rich/Ogden
Mt. Dutton/Paunsaugunt, Johns Valley
North Slope, Summit
Plateau
Southwest Desert, Milford Flat

Of these I live the closest to "Cache/Morgan - South Rich/Ogden" although I usually hunt more in the southern to central part of the state. So I'm probably most familiar with the "Plateau" area and to a lesser degree with "Mt. Dutton/Paunsaugunt, Johns Valley". I have zero familiarity with "North Slope, Summit" or "Southwest Desert, Milford Flat".

Even the units I'm familiar with I'm not particularly familiar with where pronghorn would be found in those units (except perhaps Mt. Dutton / Johns Valley as they can often been seen from the road on the way to elk hunting grounds :) ).

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you decide to and draw the SW tag, I can give you some very specific areas that will have a lot of antelope. It is a little bit of a drive from your area, but beautiful country and tons of big Bulls out there too look at.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Umm... I'm 100% sure I applied for a SW desert doe pronghorn permit just the other day. Season opens August first...
Whoops, missed Milford flat mini unit....:mrgreen:.....

Just be sure to get permision, mostly private...
no shooting in city limts...;-)...:p...

·
Registered
854 Posts
I decided to put in this year to start getting some points built up. It seems like I have looked everywhere for the draw odds and I can not find it. can any one point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
6,608 Posts

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
If you decide to and draw the SW tag, I can give you some very specific areas that will have a lot of antelope. It is a little bit of a drive from your area, but beautiful country and tons of big Bulls out there too look at.
It will take 4 points to draw this year,,,, It's still out.
He only has 3...................

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
I hunted Plateau area back in 2004 and man that was a fun hunt and im thinking about doing it again soon. It a big unite to hunt and plenty of goats running around down there.Plan on shooting a couple hundred yards for them. Get on a high point and glass them up and then make your move. Dont be afard to get off the open areas as well. I killed both of my goats a mile away from the road and we did not see another person ether. Good luck toss your name in there and have fun. they are a blast to hunt.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts