Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Doe Pronghorn

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  SidVicious 
#1 ·
I have herd quite a bit of negative talk about the Morgan south Rich unit in the research I have been doing. That being said my wife and I have enough points to draw the latest hunt. We would really like to have our girls ages 6 & 3 to be there and be involved. Is this doable? Is there enough public land to hunt? What kind of hunt will this be (I.e. spot and stalk, hike, road hunt?) I am down for anything and willing to scout. I have hunted antelope numerous times. This would be my wife's first antelope though.

#2 ·
The late hunt depends on how many antelope have migrated in from Wyoming. I had that tag last year, and found a few herds, but it was few and far between compared to years past. There is a lot of public land to hunt, you just may have to work a little harder to find the animals. I have been hunting this unit my entire life, and it is a good one if you want to take family. Some roads may be locked in with snow during that time, but you should still have pretty good terrain to hunt with kids and whatnot. This would probably be a spot and stalk hunt. The antelope tend to get really skittish later in the year, and as soon as they see your car, they're gone. That being said, if you see them from a ways off, or before they see you, you should be fine. Let me know if you want some specific areas to look at. Good luck!

#3 ·
Sid, where are antelope coming in from WY on this unit? How does the late hunt depend on this? Do they cross the bear river? Just curious, are you saying all the resident PH are gone and all there would be to hunt are those that cross the bear/woodruff narrows res and migrate from WY into UT?

#4 ·
My boy had the 2 doe tag a couple years ago and after the first shots opening morning entire herds were on a dead run for the wyoming fence off the WMA. We were lucky enough to be between them and the fence and he dropped one. We hunted / hiked around for a few more hours before he shot a fawn that was wandering around solo.

-DallanC

#6 ·
We drove the west side of the unit from the bottom all the way to bear lake. Saw some bands up near BL, 100ish hang out at littlecreek but thats all private, but very few in between on that side. Still, I wouldn't say don't hunt it. Lots of good folk up there who probably will give you advice in PMs. Lots of pronghorn 2 years ago... not so many now.

-DallanC

#7 ·
Blanding_Boy, not saying that the only antelope are coming from Wyoming. I am just saying that in my experience, the amount of animals you see during that late hunt depend a lot on how many have moved in from Wyoming. In the past few years, I have seen less and less antelope on this unit. I have found that it is especially hard to find herds of does. Pressure moves the animals quite a bit once the hunt starts, and often times you rely on the migration of antelope from Wyoming in that late hunt. The animals are there, you just may have to work a bit harder.

#8 ·
Thanks for the insite. I am got sure this hunt will fit the bill of what I am trying to accomplish. I think my efforts may be better served with a leftover Wyoming hunt. I really want to get my kids involved and I figured doe antelope was an easy way to get them out. Unfortunately with everything else going this fall I was looking to a later hunt that was not going to conflict with others we have going. Plateau has a late hunt also, but I feel that with 600 tags being issued it would be a waste of our points. I may just hold off this year and try for somewhere like deseret next fall when our schedules are not so messy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.