Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something interesting to watch unfold...

·
Super Moderator
9,987 Posts
The bad thing about it is that now that the story is out and all the fanfare about his name and such the rest of the story will be buried or forgotten. There may be a bit here and there but it may never get out just what happens.

·
Registered
752 Posts
IDK, maybe he could sell that $80k Yukon? That'd buy few meals. Sounds like a messed up situation. Maybe the guy is indeed desperate (maybe physically AND mentally) and I wish him the best because I don't know his situation. Hopefully the legal side of things takes its course and then he gets the help he needs.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
He will get cited with "discharging a weapon within city limits" at the most.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Nobody is above the law. If he broke the law, he needs to be held accountable. And with his "special position of trust," he should be held to a higher standard.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
With all the programs the government has out there giving away money and food, I'm sure if he was that badly off there was better ways to feed the family.
The Yukon is kind of a dead giveaway to his story is the problem for him .

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I don't really know how the depredation tags work, so forgive my ignorance -- Seegmiller presented two depredation tags. He said the second depredation tag was for his neighbor who “was too sick to hunt today” and that he was new to hunting and “didn’t know all of the rules.”

So, are depredation tags granted by name? Are you allowed multiple depredation tags? Multiple harvest?

I don't know all of the rules either -- but I would try to find them out if I were the person with the tag(s).

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
I don't know all of the rules either -- but I would try to find them out if I were the person with the tag(s).
As any tag holder is required to know the rules and follow them, I think that is a good idea!

·
Premium Member
3,836 Posts
Sounds like he may learn the rules the hard way.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I don't really know how the depredation tags work, so forgive my ignorance -- Seegmiller presented two depredation tags. He said the second depredation tag was for his neighbor who “was too sick to hunt today” and that he was new to hunting and “didn’t know all of the rules.”

So, are depredation tags granted by name? Are you allowed multiple depredation tags? Multiple harvest?

Depredation tags are like normal tags, only those whose names are printed on them can fill them. However, sometimes multiple animals may be killed on a single tag. The letter of authorization given with the depredation tags will state the specifics of what can be done during the hunt and where the hunt takes place. If the dude was trying to fill a tag for his neighbor, that’s illegal. No way out around that one.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I may be wrong but I think the area he was in is actually not in city limits.

It will be interesting to see this unfold. I have a feeling we are only getting one side of a lopsided story so far.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
No shooting within 600 feet of a building still applies either way, correct?

Effective 5/14/2019
76-10-508. Discharge of firearm from a vehicle, near a highway, or in direction of specified items -- Penalties.

(1)
(a)An individual may not discharge a dangerous weapon or firearm:

(vii)without written permission to discharge the dangerous weapon from the owner or person in charge of the property within 600 feet of:
(A)a house, dwelling, or any other building; or
(B)any structure in which a domestic animal is kept or fed, including a barn, poultry yard, corral, feeding pen, or stockyard.

·
Registered
13 Posts
All of the Depredation/Mitigation tags I have ever had where really specific about what properties the tag was good for. All of the property boundaries and the specifics of the hunt where laid out on the voucher the Landowner gave me. I then had to take the voucher to the DWR region office and pay for the tag. They again went over the specifics of the "hunt" when I received the actual tag. I've had 10 or so Mitigation tags myself and this has always been the case albeit they've always been for the same Landowner.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
The reporting states Dr Reber denied such permission. The other neighbors are less obvious from the reporting but it seems like "Sean" probably didn't provide permission. The layout of many "residential neighborhoods" make it difficult to discharge a firearm in accordance with the cited law.

When confronted about going onto private property to retrieve the carcass, Sean said Seegmiller told him he obtained permission from the property owner beforehand.

The property where the doe died is owned by Dr. Kelly Reber.....

Reber said he had never met the man before and told him that he could not shoot any deer in his yard. Seegmiller then allegedly told Reber he had actually shot the deer in the yard across the street, but the animal ran into Reber’s yard and he was just retrieving it from the property. Reber said the area where the deer was shot is clearly marked with several “no hunting” signs.
Suppose time will tell if the reporting tells the full story or the accused's perspective is vastly different. The article does state "the property where the doe died" which leaves room for the claim that where it was shot was a different property. Everyone deserves due process and I guess all we can hope for is that justice is done for all the stakeholder's sake.

·
Registered
988 Posts
The layout of many "residential neighborhoods" make it difficult to discharge a firearm in accordance with the cited law.
It doesn’t mean it’s impossible. There are several hunts that have hunt boundaries that are within the town or city limits.

Assuming the firearm was discharged in a safe direction and the handler was responsible, I honestly don’t see what the big issue is. I have RARELY encountered home owners or land owners that enjoyed the deer living in their space IF they didn’t benefit from them being hunted, like selling land owner tags for example, or in some other way. People like to see deer, turkeys, moose or elk every once in awhile around their house, but they don’t want to deal with them on a daily basis. Obviously there’s a deer problem in town if depredation tags are being issued. It’s one less doe that could potentially be involved in a collision with a car, that could possibly result in a human fatality or injury. It’s one less doe to be wounded by a vehicle that will suffer long term from the incident. It wasn’t a trophy sized buck killed only for its antlers. It’s one less doe to eat Mrs. Smiths garden. It’s one less doe the DWR has to put their resources in to, to deal with the complaints. And if the guy was/is hurting to feed his family, then I have even less problems with it. Yeah the SUV would imply times aren’t that hard for him, but that’s not our decision or judgement to make. The party hunting thing I do have a problem with, but again, it doesn’t sound like he did fill his neighbors tag, so really nothing to do with that… other than the intent was there. But that’s a whole separate discussion

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
The landowner clearly said that he had not given permission. That is a big issue.
And, I agree on the party hunting. He can't shoot his buddies doe.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts