Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Definitely not impossible but given the reporting it's fair to be skeptical on my part.

And he's a public figure. It's fair game to be skeptical of him driving up an upscale SUV while squaring the claim about needing the deer meat due to unemployment. I believe this is his employment record filed with the state. Was he laid off from Dixie despite being tenure tracked? Does Night Sky Law no longer exist?

His personal account will truly matter. If we assume he's innocent then we can hope to hear what the boundaries/limits of his depredation tags were and an explanation of his encounters with the local residents. That could help quell my skepticism. But the recorded statements so far don't paint a pretty picture. Hence the skepticism.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
From KUTV:

Seegmiller’s latest conflict of interest form listed his current employer as “Self.” He reported his specific employment as a management strategy and leadership consultant, entrepreneur, and attorney. He also listed a role as a “Member-Manager” in The Copper Cabin, LLC, which was registered in July 2020 and just renewed in June. A search of the company showed it’s involved in “activities related to real estate.”

Seegmiller previously taught at Dixie State University.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Rep. Travis Seegmiller's employment record only goes to 2020 on the transparent Utah site but he made (salary + benefits) $109k+ at Dixie that year AND $31k+ as a state representative. And that doesn't include the income from the aforementioned law firm.

Edit: Looks like he no longer works at Dixie according to KSL, though it's still listed on his Rep. Site.

·
Registered
993 Posts
The landowner clearly said that he had not given permission. That is a big issue.
And, I agree on the party hunting. He can't shoot his buddies doe.
A lot of that can depend on if his property was properly posted though. Sure he can say he didn’t give permission, and that’s what the news will report on. And yes there may he been a few no trespassing signs, but it if was properly posted according to the states definition, he may not have had permission, but he may also might not be guilty of trespassing. Sounds like he was contacted by the land owner after the fact. That might not count in favor of the land owner or state, in court.

·
Registered
314 Posts
That area is basically a 5-ac residential lot area. It is not in city limits. You can get 200 yds away from buildings - barely. Sounds like he didn't. Not a good place to go if you don't know anyone there. It's low density residential and there is no lack of people and stay at home retirees.. There is an ex California law enforcement guy that lives there and hates hunters. Sounds like they met. I don't know how you get a depredation tag in an area where you don't have land. There is a 2-doe hunt archery/muzz/shotgun hunt there, but almost all of it is on private.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
FWIW, the landowner was interviewed by news outlets and did not give permission for him to hunt there and the land is posted. Not a good look for the distinguished Rep.

·
Registered
993 Posts
FWIW, the landowner was interviewed by news outlets and did not give permission for him to hunt there and the land is posted. Not a good look for the distinguished Rep.

Is it posted PROPERLY though…. That’s the catch.

and if it was shot in the front yard and that isn’t posted, technically he’s not trespassing then either

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Is it posted PROPERLY though…. That’s the catch.

and if it was shot in the front yard and that isn’t posted, technically he’s not trespassing then either
The footage may not have shown every inch of the property, but what they did show looked pretty convincingly posted. I suppose those "to the millimeter" rulings on proper posting will come out in court.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Trespassing on private property, in city limits no less, to kill an animal is not understandable. Under any circumstances.

And not all land has to be posted at all to give notice of private property status. Sharpen up on those trespassing laws, Moose!
You are correct! I’m well aware of the laws. I was playing the devils advocate is all.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
This didn't happen in "city limits", as pointed out by Provider. It is a rural county area. It has some BLM land that it borders -- in fact, the Reber land is bordered by BLM. But, as the reporting notes: this is a neighborhood.

Ironically, my aunt and uncle own the lot directly across the street from the Rebers.

Map Ecoregion Slope World Terrestrial plant

Reactions: ns450f

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
What is the chance we ever find out about the full situation and resolution? Do we think Seegmiller will actually make a full public statement about the limits/boundaries of his depredation tags and actions? Will the DWR seek the full weight of potential prosecution IF they discover the deer was taken illegally? Would they do the same if it wasn't a high profile politician (ran unopposed = potential political fallout, well known player in the culture war over the Dixie name change, etc)?

·
Super Moderator
10,004 Posts
It may never even get to court.

The DWR may just issue a ticket and he'll pay it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have shot turkeys and doves in basically the same area lol. There are always people hunting this area.

But there are also a bunch of California 💩 dicks that live in new harmony now and I had a lady yell at me for hunting doves two years ago at this location. I was highly confident that I was legal so I told Karen to call the sheriff or DNR. She said she would but nobody ever showed up.

This is why I have only hunt doe in Enterprise.....

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
You are correct! I’m well aware of the laws. I was playing the devils advocate is all.
If well aware, why purposefully misstate the law? That doesn’t make a ton of sense, even to play devil’s advocate.

It will be interesting to see this play out. I’ll reiterate, if he trespassed to kill an animal, I hope they hammer him. Then you’ll see him or one of his buddies run a bill to change the trespass laws in the next legislative session!

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
That was my next question: will Seegmiller recuse himself from any legislation regarding the DWR in the future? Hence the political fallout potential IF the law was broken AND they decide to prosecute.

It's a tenuous path for the DWR either way.

·
Registered
993 Posts
If well aware, why purposefully misstate the law? That doesn’t make a ton of sense, even to play devil’s advocate.

It will be interesting to see this play out. I’ll reiterate, if he trespassed to kill an animal, I hope they hammer him. Then you’ll see him or one of his buddies run a bill to change the trespass laws in the next legislative session!
I don’t think I misstated the law… “properly posted” can fall under the other requirements the land can also meet to be off limits to trespassing without needing to be obviously posted with a ‘no trespassing’ sign

21 - 40 of 52 Posts