Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
Back powder?? Never heard of it! ;)

I actually am looking for a .54 caliber percussion muzzleloader for future hunts where in-lines/sabots/scopes are restricted.

·
Registered
10,291 Posts
Inline Muzzleloaders were invented in Germany in 1734. Our modern replica "Hawkin" style guns come from the late 1820s early 1830s era. So really sidelock guns should be banned for being too advanced ;)

There was a Prince in Germany that had a steel cartridge based gun about that same time as well.

What I want to know is why cant I use a original museum quality 1777 Ferguson Rifle used in the Revolutionary War for deer hunting? Its apparently not "privative enough" ???

-DallanC

·
Registered
17 Posts
I do in my Pietta 1858 Remington .44 cap and ball revolver, and my .50 caliber Hawken rifle and pistol. That being said I don't hunt with any of those. I've been playing with the idea of using the Hawken rifle on the muzzy hunt, but this year I'm sticking with the in-line and Pyrodex.

·
Super Moderator
10,134 Posts
Years ago I used it in a Hawkin, but anymore it is getting very hard to find and I switched over to Pyrodex that can be found just about anywhere.

But I use BH209 in my CVA Accura

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
I do!!! 2F.

·
Registered
10,291 Posts
I have some GOEX FF and FFF if anyone wants to buy. Its older stuff in metal cans (back from the time when Men were Men rofls). I doubt i'll ever use it unless I get a salute canon or something.

-DallanC

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I use it n my 12 gauge shotgun.
Black Powder is the best for shotguns. I use it in my 10g (hence the name BPturkeys). It's just "snappier" in a shotgun. I also use it in my bowling ball cannon...Pyrodex will NOT launch a bowling ball...haven't tried 777 or any of the other stuff, but my guess is that it won't launch a bowling ball either.

·
Registered
10,291 Posts
I dunno about that, I used to work in west Orem right on the edge of the lake / cattails. The company next to us would go out every few weeks and blast bowling balls into the marsh. They'd easily go 300 yards. They were using a full can of pyro per launch (cannon was made out of a acetylene bottle). It was pretty cool to see.

-DallanC

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I dunno about that, I used to work in west Orem right on the edge of the lake / cattails. The company next to us would go out every few weeks and blast bowling balls into the marsh. They'd easily go 300 yards. They were using a full can of pyro per launch (cannon was made out of a acetylene bottle). It was pretty cool to see.

-DallanC
Well that might be true. I never in my wildest dream ever considered try using a pound of propellent in my cannon. I never had any problem shooting a 16lb 'er close to 500 yards with Goex. My typical charges was around 1000-1200grs. I think there are 7000grs in a pound. A charge of 1200grs of Pyro would shoot the ball about 30 yards, but must admit, the flame and smoke that the Pyro put out was spectacular.

So, now we know, Pyro is NOT the best choice for bowling ball cannons😃

BTY...I never seen one made from an acetylene tank, mostly oxygen tanks. P.S. I have one of the older oxygen tanks (new ones are too small) that I would be willing to part with if someone wanted to make one of these cannon.

I got some great pic's somewhere if I can find them I'll post some.

·
Registered
10,291 Posts
HAhaha I'd LOVE to see a 500 yard shot. It was crazy when the company (US Synthetics) guys would gather up outside. We'd run out as we knew what was coming. Couldn't believe it first time I saw them fire it.

-DallanC

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I use FFF Black. I've used it in flintlocks, sidelocks and modern inlines. I like shooting black powder- the smell and the smoke.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
still like FF in my 50 cals. The other thing I use it for is a candy cannon on holidays. It looks like a small mortar tube 1 full cap of FF a indoor outdoor carpet wad and a handful of taffy. Set it off and turn the kids loose

·
Registered
110 Posts
I worked with a guy from US Synthetics (at Blendtec across the street) he said the owner would shoot the canon (bowling balls) even further at his cabin up Hobble Creek! I guess he also had a human sling shot that he use a 4 wheeler to pull back...

·
Registered
10,291 Posts
Wow same guy? I remember the youtube video of the sling. Pretty crazy. You worked at US Synthetics? Cool... my wife worked as a machinist at their competitor, MegaDiamond in provo.

-DallanC

1 - 20 of 22 Posts