Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the thread about fires and scent I started to wonder about what other bad habits I have as far as contaminating my camo with scents that may spook game.

The other day while sitting next to a game trail I suddenly had the urge to pass gas. I immediately thought of the smoke thread. So I tried to hold it. After about 15 minutes I felt like I was going to pop and I had to clinch certain muscles quite tightly and it was quickly becoming a distraction. I felt conflicted.

Then I had the thought of the sound that comes with it. I don't think I've ever heard game pass gas and I wondered if when they do if it sounds differently. I wondered if the sound of a human passing gas would be unique and heard for quite some distance. Of course as some of your more experienced gas passers know there is an art to making it quiet but it does take some discipline and practice.

So does the smell of passing gas spook game? Certainly it has to stay in your clothing for quite some time. How about the sounds of passing gas? Does that spook game? What techniques do you use to avoid this problem, do you cut certain meals out of your hunting menu?

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
I think that most of the opinions expressed in this thread will be nothing more than hot air. Others will be full of ****. Some just might be a combination of both. I guess that we will have to sit back and see just where this ends up.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
All fluff aside, I usually stay off smelly foods during the hunt. Garlic is strictly off limits and spicy Mexican food gets the toss too. As far as formidable flatulences flabbergastingly flushing furry friends away from your position, I don't know, You'd have to be pretty close for them to hear you, and if they smell it, well you're busted regardless of weather you cut the cheese or not. Stank is stank in the mind of a deer... ;)

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
Alright, this has been one of my best kept secrets and today, I'm letting it go.

36 hours before I set out elk hunting, I take a mixture of pine oil, sage oil and elk estrus and mix it with 1 oz. of Jim Beam and chase it with a warm Schlitz.

Now, after 24 hours, preferably the night before I set out to hunt, I like to wear my hunting clothes to bed and make sure my bag is zipped up tight with just my nose poking out. In the morning, I am typically sufficiently scented and ready to make tracks. Don't forget to not resist the urge to break wind. The only caveat I would add is to muffle the releases some how. I am going to go ahead and suggest a cough silencer and duct tape, but to each his own.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
pheaz said:
Sounds like a shart just waitin to happen TREE
Adult diapers will take care of potential sharts, and they tend to muffle things. My grand dad taught me about this method. He was an amazing feller. He could actually manipulate his butt cheeks to sound like a cow in estrus when he ripped ass.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I think smoke is a great human odor neutralizer! The smell of farts don't scare deer! Human odor scares deer! I have to LOL when I see guys blowin good money on all this fancy scent killing stuff they have on the market today. Oh, I guess the stuff works ok, but nothing works better than standin in the smoke of a good old pine fire! Smoke covers the human scent the best!
Now as to fartin, I do know that an old gobbler will sound off if he hears a good loud fart. :D

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Treehugnhuntr said:
pheaz said:
Sounds like a shart just waitin to happen TREE
Adult diapers will take care of potential sharts, and they tend to muffle things. My grand dad taught me about this method. He was an amazing feller. He could actually manipulate his butt cheeks to sound like a cow in estrus when he ripped ass.
A picture in my mind I could have done without. Thanks for sharin though.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Bears Butt said:
I know for sure it does not spook ducks. Actually, if you go to a pharmacy and purchase some of that clear hose used for oxygen masks, and put that up a certain part of your anatomy. Then run the other end out to one of your decoys it really adds some movement to the spread.
And that there is just wrong even the thought :roll:

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Heck no it doesn't spook them! It might make 'em perk up a bit though.

A short blast of gas doesn't linger long, but leaving your plasta next to a tree or bush can stink the area up for days.. :O•-:

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
It's not a problem as long as they are not within earshot, or down wind. Just sayin'. ;)

By the way elk do fart. I've heard them. Unfortunately I was down wind, and yes they do stink. Not quite like Tree's concoction though.

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Just a word of caution to you fellers over 60................"if you're over 60 , never trust a fart" :shock: Jus' sayin...................... :O•-:

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
Al, you are always looking out for folks. What a giver you are.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
The night before a big hunt I eat lots of nutter butters, sour cream and onion potato chips and boiled eggs then wash it all down with a few beers. I don't know if it scares deer and elk away, but I have never seen another hunter in my spot! :shock:

·
Registered
826 Posts
I had an arrow in the last 400 bull in Utah. The shot was high but i was using an EPEK broad head so I had no worries. The Bull ran out across the high meadow in the Manti's. I used my hoochi mamma on him but he would not turn, so I set my FOX pro to ELK crack and let er blast. I'll be dammed if it wasn't that re-fried bean angel that emerged from a certain area of the body that turned that bull around. He was right at 110 yards so I put my 50 pin on him and raised up a little(i have practiced 4 hours a day for the last 36 years to 100 yards) and pow nailed him in two lungs the heart the spleen and the left testicle. The bull went down. I then turned to Doyle Moss and thanked him for shipping this bull in from Idaho and keeping him surrounded in this meadow on the Manti, and finally for parking his truck on the road to the canyon to keep the locals out. And think If I had never been in that poker game with Anis and the SFW boys I never would have won this tag.

Reactions: u.p.16

·
Registered
843 Posts
Bears Butt said:
I know for sure it does not spook ducks. Actually, if you go to a pharmacy and purchase some of that clear hose used for oxygen masks, and put that up a certain part of your anatomy. Then run the other end out to one of your decoys it really adds some movement to the spread.
Short piece of garden hose would make a good elk bugle :mrgreen: with a little practice to hit the high notes. :p

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
OKEE said:
Short piece of garden hose would make a good elk bugle :mrgreen: with a little practice to hit the high notes. :p
Now we're talking! If someone came up with the correctly shaped reed, and a feller could develop proper sphincter control.....WALLA! You'd have yourself a hands free cow call!! You'd just have to be extra careful to not confuse it with your mouth reed. That might be easy to do when sitting on a game trail in the dark.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts