Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Dogs from the past

3K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  Fowlmouth 
#1 ·
If you’re like me, you’ve had dogs come and go, and while the new pups can be pretty cool, the old partners can never be replaced. Such is the case with Cane. We’re almost 4 years since he passed now, and the other day I came across some old pics. It’s been fun and kind of sad at the same time thinking back to the good old days.

Here are a couple from his first hunting trip. We took him to South Dakota at 5 months old. He didn’t get a ton of action, but we let him follow the big dogs around a bit, and the last day he flushed a bird and retrieved it after I shot it. Still one of the coolest hunting experiences I’ve had due to the circumstances.

Carnivore Dog breed Plant Natural landscape Grass

Dog Vertebrate Plant Collar Carnivore

See less See more
#3 ·
This dog was simply one of the best looking dogs I’ve ever seen. I know I’m biased, but I think you can see why I’d say that. It’s too bad I never arranged for his genes to be passed on. This hound will always have a piece of my heart. I actually quit waterfowl hunting when he died, but maybe it’s time to hit it again…

Head Dog Eye Dog breed Carnivore

#8 ·
I lost my favorite dog 3 summers ago, it took me over 2 years before I could even think about replacing here. The pic below is of her first pheasant hunt, 10 1/2 years old. We walked through a field about 10 minutes after we watched 3 guys and 2 dogs go through it, we were just trying to get over to a new spot where we could hopefully find some fresh ground. She pointed 12 birds in that field. I switched from Brittany's to a PudelPointer. I can't wait to get the new one out this year, I hope she's half the dog my last 2 brittany's were. She's got the best hunting instinct of any dog I've ever owned so I'm hopeful.
Plant Plant community Hunting Ecoregion Smile

#12 ·
No pictures of her, but I lost a GSP when I was a teenager. Pepper was such a sweetheart - she was my cash cow and would throw litters of 12-14 pups every time. My fondest memory of her was my very first rooster I killed when I was 12. Behind my childhood home, she outwitted a smart old rooster and pinned him between the neighboring plowed field, myself, and her. Her rock solid point, the flushing of that rooster, and her retrieving the dead rooster will always be etched in my mind.

#17 ·
Oof this has been a hard thread since I first opened it a couple days ago and ran away with my hands over my eyes. I straight up hate losing dogs.

Every dog I've ever had has been a "great" dog. But honestly, my current dog Ava is just something else. The past 4 years have been a complete riot and I cannot believe what all she's shown she is capable of. I was pretty serious about getting a new pup next spring, but as it keeps creeping closer I keep finding excuses in my mind for why I should push it off a year. She might have made a canine monogamist out of me.

Hopefully it is a LONG time down the road that Ava isn't at my side on the tundra, or curled with her head on my feet under my desk (like she does every day, most all day while I'm working). But when that day comes, I'm going to be absolutely devastated in a way that I really don't think any of my prior dogs have done to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.