Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Don't be a moron-safety first!

3K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  phorisc 
#1 ·
Can you believe this tragedy all because some moron had to leave one hot in the chamber while riding his ATV? Such an inconvenience to have to put one in the chamber once you get out, kind of inconvenient that a family is now burying their 10 year old son because this guy is such an idiot IMHO. Not to mention, isn't that illegal, obviously conflicts with all common sense...?
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=36901034&ni...-hunting-accident&fm=home_page&s_cid=topstory

#5 ·
Uh... its completely legal to have a loaded firearm in a vehicle in Utah, especially with the change a bit ago extending the "castle doctrine" to vehicles. Don't need a CCP now either.

What the DWR came out with is the rule that your "ccw" cannot be your hunting weapon.

My CCW class was taught by Curt Oda, the guy who wrote most of our gun friendly laws. He was very clear and very specific it is legal. Now obviously you need good care and safe practices with ANY WEAPON, but most especially ones you know are loaded.

Sad Tragedy, completely preventable. It will haunt him for the rest of his life.

-DallanC

#4 ·
Actually, it isn't illegal if the person owns the vehicle, and has a ccw. Unless thats recently changed.

But, I agree one should never ride with a loaded firearm. We do really stupid things with firearms when hunting. I always cringe when going by a four wheeler with the rifle pointing right at me for a second as we cross paths. I would venture to say that there's more than we'd like to know that ride with a loaded rifle.

Sad tragedy!

#6 ·
Actually, it isn't illegal if the person owns the vehicle, and has a ccw. Unless thats recently changed.
That portion has changed, they extended the "castle doctrine" to vehicles, camp trailers etc etc.

I always cringe when going by a four wheeler with the rifle pointing right at me for a second as we cross paths.
I specifically make sure I point any gun on the "rack mounts" to the right side of the road just for that reason.

-DallanC

#7 ·
very tragic but its not just limited to weapons yesterday they had to life flight two individuals of the mountain in a 4 wheeler roll and tha tis the third type incident since the spike elk hunt opened. it all goes to trying to get that last 10 yards to the next rock are tree out of the wheeler and believe me the hills above town are very unforgiving there is even a hill we call suicide because of the fatalities on it folks please use your common sense, if the trail ends that your on there is generaly a very very good reason it does.

#13 ·
I posed this question with the DWR back in 2012 before going on a CWMU deer hunt where I might of been hunting alone.

The law is pretty clear in the proclamation as stated before.

However, with my CCW, I was within my legal rights to carry a loaded rifle inside my truck / UTV / ATV, etc. This came from the head of the Law Enforcement division inside the DWR. Wish I still had the email.... While it was legal, he highly discouraged me doing it. Which I decided it not to be worth doing it. This was a week or two after a guy accidentally shot himself with a muzzleloader killing himself in Box Elder County.

#14 ·
The full statue is:

76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.
(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
(a) in or on a vehicle, unless:
(i) the vehicle is in the person's lawful possession; or
(ii) the person is carrying the loaded firearm in a vehicle with the consent of the person lawfully in possession of the vehicle;
(b) on a public street; or
(c) in a posted prohibited area.
(2) Subsection (1)(a) does not apply to a minor under 18 years of age, since a minor under 18 years of age may not carry a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle.
(3) Notwithstanding Subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii), a person may not possess a loaded rifle, shotgun, or muzzle-loading rifle in a vehicle.
(4) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.

53-5-704. Bureau duties -- Permit to carry concealed firearm -- Certification for concealed firearms instructor -- Requirements for issuance -- Violation -- Denial, suspension, or revocation -- Appeal procedure.
(1) (a) The bureau shall issue a permit to carry a concealed firearm for lawful self defense to an applicant who is 21 years of age or older within 60 days after receiving an application, unless the bureau finds proof that the applicant does not meet the qualifications set forth in Subsection (2).
(b) The permit is valid throughout the state for five years, without restriction, except as otherwise provided by Section 53-5-710.
(c) The provisions of Subsections 76-10-504(1) and (2), and Section 76-10-505 do not apply to a person issued a permit under Subsection (1)(a).

-DallanC

#15 ·
From the Field regs- both big game and upland:

Loaded firearms in a vehicle
Utah Code §§§§ 76-10-502, 76-10-504, 76-10-505 and 76-10-523
You may not carry a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle unless you meet all of the following conditions:
• You own the vehicle or have permission from the vehicle's owner.
• The firearm is a handgun.
• You are 18 years of age or older.
A pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun is
considered to be loaded when there is an unexpended cartridge, shell or projectile in the firing position.

I'll keep them in the mag while traveling but never in the chamber. I had to remove from the chamber 3 times today for both my rifle and shotgun.(yes, hedging my spike bet with grouse) Only takes a second.

#16 ·
Law or no law! I have no idea why anyone would need to have a bullet in the chamber at anytime unless they are shooting at something! This is why we have a big brother Government. We need to be told this is a bad idea! I dont even carry my concealed pistol loaded. It is just not worth the consequence if something were to happen. Accidents can happen to even the most careful of people.

#17 ·
Most comments are on the one safety factor, it seems to me that the shooter broke the first 3 safety rules besides the having a bullet in the chamber while in a vehicle.

Just obeying one of the first two would have saved this kids life.

Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

and as I tell my students "KEEP THE BOOGER HOOK OFF THE BANG SWITCH"

#18 ·
I took my ccw class from a state police officer. He said that I could carry a fully loaded rifle in my vehicle as long as I have my ccw.

Anyhow, treat every gun as if it is loaded and don't point it at anything you are not willing to destroy.

I see so many shooters, even experienced ones with terrible muzzle control.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.