Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think i am going to try some Dove hunting down here around St. George, never hunted them before so what do you look for as far as a good location? Water? draws with water in it or dry. brushy areas? Tree's?
I see lots of them around my neighborhood out by sand hollow, but i think my neighbors might frown on that :)

·
Super Moderator
9,623 Posts
Also most of the ones that you are seeing in town are Eurasian doves and not morning doves.

Learn to tell the difference since there is no limit on the Eurasian doves but they usually hang out inside the city limits and around farm yards.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also most of the ones that you are seeing in town are Eurasian doves and not morning doves.

Learn to tell the difference since there is no limit on the Eurasian doves but they usually hang out inside the city limits and around farm yards.
Yes a lot of them are Eurasion, but we have a lot of morning doves that hang out on the fence lines around the farm too.

·
Super Moderator
9,623 Posts
Yea, I worked down there in the mid 70's before the Eurasian's moved in and all we ever saw were the morning doves.

But that was also back when St. George was experiencing growing pains but was still a nice place to live.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
We definitely see a few mourning doves even in Cedar City town limits even though the Eurasian Collared easily outnumber them 10 to 1.

I need to get out and scout a few locations closer to me. I know some out west on 56 but can't afford to drive out there regularly. Would love to add dove to my menu and it would definitely help me improve my shooting.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about decoys like the Mojo Voodoo? i would think some sort of decoy would help out.

Do you try to hunt funnels near water?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
How about decoys like the Mojo Voodoo? i would think some sort of decoy would help out.

Do you try to hunt funnels near water?
Would love to hear how you do. I'm going to try for the first time this year but planning on it being mostly a scouting and learning season.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah i think it will be a learning experience down here. For one i dont think i have ever seen sunflowers down here. I guess hunting somewhere along the virgin river might pay off. I checked a couple water basins but they are dry.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I use the voodoo decoys (2) and made a tree type thingy maggid that I put the two voodoo's on along with 5-8 regular decoys. I sit in the shade of the trees at the edge of a grain field and shoot the heck out of them. Don't have to move at all. Send the dog out to retrieve them and we both sit back and drink cool water waiting for the next wave to come in.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Road hunt 'em up. Drive around and when you see some, plan a hunt. But...

As far as hunting patches of sunflowers go, I have to laugh. Come opening morning, every single patch of sunflower in the entire state of Utah will be encircled with Nimrods. Dogs barking, kids running around, guys arguing about who got here first, farmers screaming get the He** of my land, ATV's idling waiting their turn to dig up the dirt,, hunters decked out in all nature of fancy camo fumbling with their pretty little O/U's, and last but not least, grasshoppers, oh lord, there will be grasshoppers...
You see, here in Utah, men have been waiting, planning, scheming, all summer long for the first opening day of a brand new hunting season...hello Doves, good bye sanity.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought a set of dove decoys in preparation for the season. Was thinking about buying a mojo but i was wondering if its worth it to buy one? Has anyone seem a big difference when using one vs not using one?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Look for a water source. A pond or stock tank preferably. Set up between the water and their food source. A few decoys on some sagebrush around the water and have some fun.

Of course there is no secret water in Utah so plan on company.

And of course no matter the forecast a cold front will power on in just before opening day and send all the little beggars down south. :smile:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts