Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will monofilament work well out of a downrigger or not? I've been told that your bait will plane up above the level of your weight if you're using mono, but not by anyone that i know for sure is telling the truth.

·
Administrator
21,449 Posts
Mono out of a downrigger is fine, the norm for most. Where the lure rides is more dependent on the type of lure, whether or not you are using an attractor, boat speed etc.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If not mono, what then? I've experienced braided lines being more bouyant while running bouncers for walleye. They will also pop out of your clasp so I'd say stick with mono.

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
Sometimes....i just don't know stuff. :shock: ...how does a downrigger work?

I kind of know what it does, but what happens when a fish hits? Does the downrigger release your line?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a ton! The best answer is always the one you were hoping for, because i wasn't looking forward to spooling up some big trolling reels with leadcore. I've heard those trolling rods with tons of line take the fight out of the equation, so that's another negative.

·
Registered
309 Posts
.45 said:

I kind of know what it does, but what happens when a fish hits? Does the downrigger release your line?
Sometimes the line will release, sometimes not. You'll normally see a bounce in the rod, and a lot of the time the fish will hook itself.

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
FC2Tuber said:
.45 said:

Sometimes the line will release, sometimes not. You'll normally see a bounce in the rod, and a lot of the time the fish will hook itself.
If it does not release....how do you release it to check your bait or re-cast? Or, if you have a fish on, do you need to bring up the downrigger also?

·
Administrator
21,449 Posts
.45 said:
FC2Tuber said:
[quote=".45":3oqk5a3w]Sometimes....i just don't know stuff. :shock: ...how does a downrigger work?

If it does not release....how do you release it to check your bait or re-cast? Or, if you have a fish on, do you need to bring up the downrigger also?[/quote:3oqk5a3w]

Soon as I set the hook or the fish sets it himself, I hit the switch and start the 'rigger upward. If I have a hand crank I just let it sit or have someone else crank it up while I fight the fish.

To release, you just quickly yank on it. Also if you want to check for rig you can reel in while bringing the downrigger weight up, easy if you have an electric downrigger.

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
Thanks guys !! I was actually thinking of putting one of the 'mini's' on a pontoon..But I think it will probably overwhelm me a little too much. Plenty to do when I hook a fish already.!! Fight the currant, steer the craft, cut all engine's and try not to spill the beer... :) :)

Maybe one of those inline 5 dollar downriggers would work for me...anybody tried those?

·
Registered
309 Posts
.45 said:
Thanks guys !! I was actually thinking of putting one of the 'mini's' on a pontoon..But I think it will probably overwhelm me a little too much. Plenty to do when I hook a fish already.!! Fight the currant, steer the craft, cut all engine's and try not to spill the beer... :) :)

Maybe one of those inline 5 dollar downriggers would work for me...anybody tried those?
Do you have an electric on your toon??

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
FC2Tuber said:
.45 said:

Do you have an electric on your toon??
No, I was thinking of putting one one there....I do have an electric trolling motor with a 12 Volt battery. But electric downrigger's are quite expensive..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts