Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go on over to Fowlmindeds Facebook page seems they have take. It upon them selves to speak for all of us in making suggestions to the DWR about crowding maybe they should stick to their private clubs and leave public land be.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure they will ask you to support all their fundraisers so they can raise money to give to the DWR to buy a voice. Used to think they were really trying to do good but seems they want to be waterfowls SFW.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I am against the idea 100%
bad idea!!
Hunting is already limited, why limit it even more.

you like having the options of showing up to the marsh and choosing when and where you will hunt right? you won't have that right if it goes to a draw.
This isn't Arkansas, this it Utah.

Disclaimer: written as an expression of my own thoughts

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm bothered by that too, there's a simple solution to it all, just be respectful and think of the other hunters around you. As my 11 year old just said "just be cool"

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
What's your thoughts?
No way. We've got plenty of room for everybody. My reason for hunting is not simply to kill birds. If that's all I wanted, I'd probably work in a slaughterhouse. I go hunting for many reasons, including to challenge myself, explore new areas, learn new things, and enjoy the outdoors. One thing I really love about hunting is the freedom I have to find what's out there and be rewarded for my effort.

To me, draw blinds mainly serve the goal of killing birds, while open access allows for everything I mentioned above.

If you can't find a quality hunt due to crowding on public lands in Utah, you're not trying very hard IMO. I'm almost never crowded on my hunts, unless I go to Howard Slough or the center dike at Farmington Bay. And if I do that, I expect a crowd and I'm prepared to share the space with other hunters.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Saturday morning at 330 I was busting my ass through phrag til 430.....and guess what didn't have anyone near me. I didn't even see anyone until I got back onto the dike. Put in some effort and you won't run into anyone.

·
1,666 Posts
I am for the idea of having a draw system.

I would love a limited entry waterfowl area.

There should be places that you can hunt anytime, but there should be a few areas where people are limited.

An idea would be to create a few zones with optimal habitat that could be these limited entry draw areas.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
There should be places that you can hunt anytime, but there should be a few areas where people are limited.

An idea would be to create a few zones with optimal habitat that could be these limited entry draw areas.
there are places like that. They are called duck clubs. People can pay for that kind of experience.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
If you think opening day is any different now than it has been in the past, you haven't been duck hunting very long.

Fowl Minded, please stop trying to be the voice for 18,000+ Utah Waterfowlers. If I think changes are necessary, I will voice my own concerns, I don't need a special interest group to do that for me.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Totally unnecessary. No need to play the l.e. Game for ducks. If you can't handle sharing the marsh, buy a membership to a club, or buy a private chunk of land as others have said. The marsh is crowded sometimes, but that's not the worst thing in the world.

·
1,666 Posts
there are places like that. They are called duck clubs. People can pay for that kind of experience.
Yes, but wouldn't it be better to have a public land draw for ducks.

The app fees could go to fighting the phrag and building islands with vegetation.

The hunt an would be an opportunity to have your own pond on a weekend, not having pass shooters shoot at ducks or geese that are 150 yards in the air, not having to hike through hell and phrag to get away from those folk, not worrying about a boat driving through the area at 10 minutes to shooting light, not having people hunt over your decoys, etc.

It sounds like it may be something worth looking into, but I think it would be better to leave the WMA's alone and create a series of ponds in areas away from the other WMA's to create a unique experience.

I imagine, this is not going to be popular, but just take it as my opinion and not anything derived from a radical wildlife group trying to suck money away from hunters and not giving much back to wildlife.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Where's Hammer? He's got great insight on this topic.

This idea of blind draws = more opportunity and quality is a flat out fallacy!! Big question is where does the $$ come from to implement this type of structure?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Please,
Don't mention another way for the DWR to increase costs and limit access.
Or they will do it.

Spry

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yes, but wouldn't it be better to have a public land draw for ducks.

The app fees could go to fighting the phrag and building islands with vegetation.

The hunt an would be an opportunity to have your own pond on a weekend, not having pass shooters shoot at ducks or geese that are 150 yards in the air, not having to hike through hell and phrag to get away from those folk, not worrying about a boat driving through the area at 10 minutes to shooting light, not having people hunt over your decoys, etc.

It sounds like it may be something worth looking into, but I think it would be better to leave the WMA's alone and create a series of ponds in areas away from the other WMA's to create a unique experience.

I imagine, this is not going to be popular, but just take it as my opinion and not anything derived from a radical wildlife group trying to suck money away from hunters and not giving much back to wildlife.
Move to California, then you can have all the draw blinds you want, you probably won't hunt that much. Or hunt somewhere else besides FB, it's FB for Christ Sakes what do you expect?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts