Utah Wildlife Forum banner
41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
A lot of those who would lie on a survey have a huge distrust of the DWR. The believe that there is a huge data base somewhere that allows the DWR employees a huge advantage…
I don’t buy that at all. I have more distrust for DWR employees out there than anyone, and I don’t think they look at information gathered in a survey other than the actual data. It’s these peoples Job to work with wildlife throughout the state. You really believe they don’t already know the ‘good’ just by doing their job? That’s not an excuse to lie on a survey.

I might not give exact locations on where stuff was killed, but I’ll never not do a survey or not give the unit a tag was filled. If I killed, it’s always a 5 rating. You got to go hunting. You had the Opportunity. You filled a tag. What more did you want out of it? Be honest on your surveys.

sorry to hear you chose to keep such shady and negative company while hunting. If people i hunt with start doing stupid stuff or dishonest stuff, I don’t hunt with them anymore. Even family members.

·
Super Moderator
9,789 Posts
I agree that the information that is on the surveys isn't really worth pulling it out of the data base as far as using as a hunting tool.

But most of these hunters were in their 50's and 60's back in the 60's and had a huge distrust of the DWR.

As I also mentioned the ones that are left are no longer hunting. But it was interesting pulling into a checking station and them giving wrong locations, how long they had hunted and other answers to the questions. I also know a couple of their sons do the same thing when questioned.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I agree that the information that is on the surveys isn't really worth pulling it out of the data base as far as using as a hunting tool.

But most of these hunters were in their 50's and 60's back in the 60's and had a huge distrust of the DWR.

As I also mentioned the ones that are left are no longer hunting. But it was interesting pulling into a checking station and them giving wrong locations, how long they had hunted and other answers to the questions. I also know a couple of their sons do the same thing when questioned.
Yeah, again, Alaska has been doing mandatory reporting for decades. I still maintain that the bay majority of hunters, regardless of generation, are honest in those reports. And it's better to have slightly flawed data than zero data in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
Johnny…exactly! Those that argue against mandatory reporting because they and some of their friends will lie on them seriously make no sense. For a lot of reasons.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
No need to go to a draw for general elk. We're not even close yet! So you had to wait for a few hours on the computer (OK, maybe 5 or 6 hours)...big deal. Go to a license agent. With online sales, in store lines are pretty much a thing of the past. If demand starts to really put a crimp in elk tags, I'd go along with what Packout recommended...if you got a tag before (excluding archery), you're at the back of the line for the following year. That, or make it one tag per year, period. That would free up all sorts of space for those trying to just get "a tag".

No draw period! I'm tired of preference points, bonus points, entitled hunters who think their 15 points guarantee them a slam dunk hunt, app fees, etc., etc. Just buy a tag a go hunt before it becomes a thing of the past!

·
Registered
242 Posts
If demand starts to really put a crimp in elk tags
Tags sold out in hours on the first day, two years in a row; what does a "crimp" look like to you? Honestly curious. What's your solution to the hunters (resident and non-resident) who are not in the state the day tags go on sale (business travel, military deployments, shift work etc.)?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Tags sold out in hours on the first day, two years in a row; what does a "crimp" look like to you? Honestly curious. What's your solution to the hunters (resident and non-resident) who are not in the state the day tags go on sale (business travel, military deployments, shift work etc.)?
It’s called the internet. I know it’s a new concept, but that’s how you get tags to people who can’t stand in line and buy one in person

·
Super Moderator
9,789 Posts
There are a lot of people out there that might not have access to the internet during the day until they get home.

Back in my working days I very seldom had access to the internet nor did most of my coworkers until I got home at 5 or 6 pm

·
Registered
242 Posts
It’s called the internet. I know it’s a new concept, but that’s how you get tags to people who can’t stand in line and buy one in person
It's called reading, top to bottom, left to right, we group words together and put them into a sentence. His whole point was to go wait in line at a retail store, I asked what alternative he offered to those who couldn't do that.

·
Registered
840 Posts
There are a lot of people out there that might not have access to the internet during the day until they get home.

Back in my working days I very seldom had access to the internet nor did most of my coworkers until I got home at 5 or 6 pm
Here’s the crazy part! Those things in our pockets most of us can’t function without, have internet access too! You don’t need to be at your house OR on a computer to get a tag!

im certain we all could find someone and arrange with them to snag us a permit online if we couldn’t get on line to get one ourselves. If there’s a will, there’s a way. If it means enough to you, then you WILL find a way to make it happen.

this is no different than getting tickets to a football game or concert. There’s only a certain amount available to the public, you have to wait in line or be on line in a certain time frame. If you aren’t, you don’t get a ticket. They don’t hold drawing for football tickets or concert tickets. They are FC, FS. General elk tags should be no different

·
Registered
840 Posts
It's called reading, top to bottom, left to right, we group words together and put them into a sentence. His whole point was to go wait in line at a retail store, I asked what alternative he offered to those who couldn't do that.
I offered an alternative that I THOUGHT was obvious. Apparently the INTERNET was a new idea for you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Currently we have enough different point systems in utah. leave OTC opportunity for those who did not draw any tag.

·
Registered
840 Posts
It’s funny to see guys screaming for opportunity hunting, then they get opportunity hunting and start screaming for limited hunting again.

no draw. No points. We have that for everything else and it’s a mess and only going to get worse. Wait your turn in line when the time comes or don’t get a tag. But don’t make your lack of prioritization a problem for everyone else.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
One thing has become absolutely clear to me the last few years: whatever the system, people are going to complain. We could completely revamp everything exactly as proposed on this forum and I’d wager those unhappy and complaining now will remain unhappy and complain then too.

I like hunting. I’ll maximize the opportunities that I have and enjoy the time I get. I’m not interested in making things even harder, personally.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Couldn't have said it better Moose - if it is important to you to hunt, you will find a way to do it. I don't buy the "I have no internet access" excuse. If u are out of state, that might be your best bet. For those of us in state, standing in line is a valid option.

There are many better options than a draw for general elk - many already discussed in this thread. 2 years of selling out same day doesn't sound so "normal" when you add in that those sales were boosted by COVID hysteria. Enough with the draw shenanigans!

·
Super Moderator
9,789 Posts
Here is a novel idea, instead of starting the process at 8am how about starting it at 6pm and only allowing each person to purchase two tags.

The same with in person sales, start at 6pm and only allow 2 tags.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts