Utah Wildlife Forum banner
61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Here is a novel idea, instead of starting the process at 8am how about starting it at 6pm and only allowing each person to purchase two tags.

The same with in person sales, start at 6pm and only allow 2 tags.
It's a government deal.
They can only do 8-5 with weekends and Holidays off. Starting something at 6 pm would not fly.
Only the field officers have to work other hours.

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
Then just restrict all purchases to just 2 tags, in person or online.

But it isn't like they shut down the ability to purchase a tag after 5 pm.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'll say it again, if you won't make purchasing an any weapon tag your priority, Archery is still unlimited and available. Youth any weapon permits are also unlimited OTC.

Can everyone please stop saying that there isn't opportunity to hunt elk otc every year as that statement is 100% false.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
I'll say it again, if you won't make purchasing an any weapon tag your priority, Archery is still unlimited and available. Youth any weapon permits are also unlimited OTC.

Can everyone please stop saying that there isn't opportunity to hunt elk otc every year as that statement is 100% false.
Let's not let facts get in the way of emotional and illogical arguments all the sudden. That would be a tragedy!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
How about implementing the plan proposed by the biologists last fall that the wildlife board dismissed at the last minute?

This included unlimited OTC tags and additional any bull areas. Instead the board proposed and passed their own agenda (the new HAMS hunts) during the meeting, completely disregarding the biologist and RAC recommendations.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
How about implementing the plan proposed by the biologists last fall that the wildlife board dismissed at the last minute?

This included unlimited OTC tags and additional any bull areas. Instead the board proposed and passed their own agenda (the new HAMS hunts) during the meeting, completely disregarding the biologist and RAC recommendations.
Because a lot of us don't want to see 30k+ elk hunters on the any bull elk areas during the hunt.

Archery is unlimited and awesome because by it's nature archery hunting is self limiting--rifle, not so much.

So in the future if we maintain the OTC fire sale model I would like it on record for those supporters of this fashion--In what OTC situation would you switch your opinion to a draw or other fashion? What if the DWR gets a high speed online system in the future and the tags all sell out in an hour. Would then it be time for a draw? What about a half hour--would then it be time of a draw or would it still be about priorities, waiting in lines, and 'if it's important enough for ya to make it happen'?

Think in hypotheticals folks--I want to know your OTC to draw threshold!

Also, the whole sit out a year if you drew the year before proposal is just a draw but with extra steps so let's not pretend it's not--it's exactly what preference points do. Not being rude, just speakin the truth.

And finally, I only do this because several posts on this thread have been accusatory that folks supporting a draw don't like to hunt which is a question of Credibility which happens to be in my department on UWN. As such, folks that are relaying these cloaked accusations should have a high level of 'Cred'. Moose, Johnny, an others have posted amazing things and therefore have attained the Cred level to talk smack. Although I am embarrassed that I don't remember seeing a hunting pic or story from Vanilla. My apologies good sir, but for Cred purposes could you please post up several pics of you and a big game animals that you have killed therefor earning the level of Cred to talk smack on those wanting a draw. It's only fair sir! 🤪

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Plus hunting pics are cool and it would spice up the forum (and boy does this thread need some spicing up!) so post em up Vanilla!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Not everyone has to put up pics to gain cred.......
Besides, I think you can go back into the forum and see previous posts and pics.

You can go check mine out if you want, but I'm not sure I have much cred.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Not everyone has to put up pics to gain cred.......
Besides, I think you can go back into the forum and see previous posts and pics.

You can go check mine out if you want, but I'm not sure I have much cred.
Um--yes we do have to post up pics and stories to have cred, otherwise we may be debating a 14 years old cross-eyed Lithuanian! Who wants to waste time doing that!

You have plenty of Cred 2full and I remember plenty of stories from you!

I can't for the life of me remember Vanilla stories and pics--I apologize up front if I have missed out on those that he has posted. But honestly--couldn't this thread use a pic of an elk? Here is one for ya just to be fair--my biggest any bull elk with my coveted OTC tag:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Here's another elk picture. I helped an old friend on his elk hunt in 07. We got him this bull on the 5th morning. Hadn't seen a thing all morning. Was on the way back to camp to get some breakfast and caught the bull just a above the Beaver pond.
His first bull, and he was using my 30.06.
It took me till last year to talk him into mounting it.
We brought it back from the taxidermist last Weds.

Edit: it was a OTC tag.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Here's another elk picture. I helped an old friend on his elk hunt in 07. We got him this bull on the 5th morning. Hadn't seen a thing all morning. Was on the way back to camp to get some breakfast and caught the bull just a above the Beaver pond.
His first bull, and he was using my 30.06.
It took me till last year to talk him into mounting it.
We brought it back from the taxidermist last Weds.
View attachment 148646
Nice bull. One day maybe for me. This year and probably next year are a total wash. One of the only negatives of deploying this year. But hey one less person to worry about in the mountain if that helps lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
And in answer to your question, how smoothly (or not) the purchasing process goes will NEVER be the deciding factor in my mind to go from OTC to a draw.

My short answer is that I seriously doubt I would ever support getting rid of the last OTC elk opportunities we have in our state. But I like hunting and I like others to be able to hunt too.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Moose, Johnny, an others have posted amazing things and therefore have attained the Cred level to talk smack. Although I am embarrassed that I don't remember seeing a hunting pic or story from Vanilla. My apologies good sir, but for Cred purposes could you please post up several pics of you and a big game animals that you have killed therefor earning the level of Cred to talk smack on those wanting a draw. It's only fair sir! 🤪
I have no cred here, just ask back country. I’ve only been part of 50+ elk kills in utah, 95% on general public land hunts… doesn’t even sound like he’s killed 1. Maybe that’s why he’s so snarky on his remarks towards me.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts

Archery doesn't need any advertising. Last year in one area I frequent, there were so many hunters (both new and old) it was just like rifle season, only with bows. Year before that, only saw 2 other hunters in the same area, and those guys I bumped into on the road, not in the field.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Archery doesn't need any advertising. Last year in one area I frequent, there were so many hunters (both new and old) it was just like rifle season, only with bows. Year before that, only saw 2 other hunters in the same area, and those guys I bumped into on the road, not in the field.
Sounds like we hunted the same spot. It was a zoo on the opener.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts