Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 0 preference points for GS Deer. What are my odds of drawing a rifle tag this year based on the following (from last years DWR odds):
1st choice- 34% draw odds
2nd choice- 73% draw odds
3rd choice- 73%
4th choice- 99%

Are my odds of drawing a tag only 34% or will the 2nd-4th choices increase my draw odds? Just curious if I will get a deer tag this year and start to play "the game".

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Really depends on your area. When we used to hunt the Ogden unit we could draw a tag every year but now we seem to be on an every other year schedule.

A lot of people play the "loophole" game and draw tags just about every year but I place Elk hunting over Deer so I just put in for my preferred area and view the every other year ratio as a bonus hunt because I get to spend 2 weeks in the woods instead of just one.

It's unfortunate that those wanting to hunt the GS Deer every year can't without gaming the system but it's a matter of supply and demand.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have 0 preference points for GS Deer. What are my odds of drawing a rifle tag this year based on the following (from last years DWR odds):
3rd choice- 73%
4th choice- 99%

Are my odds of drawing a tag only 34% or will the 2nd-4th choices increase my draw odds? Just curious if I will get a deer tag this year and start to play "the game".

Thanks,
You have already stated your odds.
3rd choice- 73%
4th choice- 99%

What you need to do now is check your chances of drawing based on an area.Overall your chances are:1 in 2.3 now say you want to be sure to get a tag then you could pick Kamas area where the odds are 1 in 1.0
Well that guarantees you a tag. So I would look at this table and see where you would like to hunt based on you getting a tag.
You can find this table on the DWR website.Just follow this link I've posted.
http://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/biggame/pdf/2015/15_general_deer.pdf

Good Luck

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, i have seen those tables but they do not indicate if those drawn were a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th choice on the hunters application. I can assume those are odds for 1st choices only...?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yes, i have seen those tables but they do not indicate if those drawn were a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th choice on the hunters application. I can assume those are odds for 1st choices only...?
Correct,but they are the odds on which your decision should be based. There is no better information for you to use.

·
Registered
876 Posts
A lot of people play the "loophole" game and draw tags just about every year but I place Elk hunting over Deer so I just put in for my preferred area and view the every other year ratio as a bonus hunt because I get to spend 2 weeks in the woods instead of just one.

It's unfortunate that those wanting to hunt the GS Deer every year can't without gaming the system but it's a matter of supply and demand.
I don't view it as gaming the system, more like understanding how it works and using it to my advantage. I came to understand the "loophole" 5 years on my own after researching how the draw was conducted, trying to make sense of my own draw results. Since that time, I have basically hunted deer where I wanted with the weapon I wanted every year. But my passion is mule deer, so I get why some who prefer elk more would put forth less effort to ensure they get the GS deer tag they want each year.

I also take it a step further by building up my DH points, so when the day comes I reset my GS points I have a means of continuing to hunt deer in my area of choice for 3 years, using that time to build GS points back up. So those who enjoy it enough to put in extra time, a little extra money, and research can and will benefit. Thankfully not everyone exerts the same level of effort or my opportunities wouldn't exist. It also helps me being familiar with a few different units and the willingness to hunt with all 3 weapon types, so flexibility can offer opportunity as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts